Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike Workshop/Mechanics Edinburgh – Recommendations
  • dmorts

I’m looking for recommendations for bike workshops/mechanics in Edinburgh, people who really know their stuff

Pretty sure that a new steel fork I have needs the crown facing, plus it would be good to know where’s consider good anyway.

Cheers!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The Bicycle Works in Marchmont.
    Only do shop work, no bike sales. Some of them are mechanics for race teams.

Prices are very reasonable and quality of work has always been good. Only place I go.

JPR
    Free Member

Cycle Service, West Richmond Street (Though I’m friends with Hannah and Chris so biased).

bigjim

pedals

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Second the cycle service, two of the best mechanics in Embra and don’t have the huge wait times that the bicycle works have. Again, shop work only, no bike sales.

For beardywierdy framebuildy type jobs head to eastside bikes in Abbeyhill. They’ve got a huge selection of unusual tools and can do all the jobs that noone else seems to be able to.

scruff9252

Second vote for Pedals at bruntsfield.

scotroutes

Pedals.

dmorts

Thanks,

Will check all of the suggested ones out. I have been to Pedals actually, completely forgot about them

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Will need to check out the Cycle Service – I stay one street over!
    Do all my jobs myself though…

studioderm
    Free Member

Bicycleworks +1

Northwind

I got Just Bicycle Repairs in Juniper Green to do a wheel for me because I was in a hurry and it’s very good. Excellent service too- their opening hours are a bit random but good comms and turnaround, even with good mechanics that side’s often a bit shaky… Usually for work in Edinburgh I’d go to Bicycle Works but they’re a pain for me to get to

But actually, 9/10 times i go to Steve Deas at Icycles- not in Edinburgh at all so I just combine it with a ride, rather than make a particular trip to a shop

ferrit
    Free Member

+1 for Bicycle Works. I wouldn’t go anywhere else.

Dair
    Free Member

+1 for JBR in Juniper Green if you’re west Edinburgh. Good work and good service.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

If you’re central I’ve always found Biketrax (Tollcross) to be good.

AlasdairMc

Another vote for JBR in Juniper Green.

Northwind – I believe the opening hours are:

Sunday / Monday- closed
    Tuesday / Thursday 2pm to 8pm
    Everything else – 8am to 2pm

I have no affiliation with them, other than buying a lot of random parts off them on the way home.

gazza100

As Northwind said, not in edinburgh but I’d certainly recommend Steve at I-cycles.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

Been to Bicycle Works once. And the appalling work, combined with the condescending attitude means I would never choose it again. I found Macdonalds handy as they generally do the work on the day without booking. But be sure you get your spares off them! They’ve had headset spacers and a Head Doctor off me, which I didn’t realise for some time after…

AlasdairMc

Macdonalds is no more, Evans claiming a victim. However they had the same X Lite handlebar in the cabinet for about ten years so I’m guessing trade wasn’t too brisk…

Northwind

AlasdairMc – Member

Macdonalds is no more, Evans claiming a victim

Evans don’t sell alcohol so I don’t think so.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike Workshop/Mechanics Edinburgh – Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.