Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bike woes
  • rascal
    Free Member

More specifically it seems my XT rear hub has become really noisy to the point where it’s doing my head in and I need help!
    I replaced the bearings in both sides (loose bearings on one side and in a race on the other) last year and all had been fine. Noticed a few weeks back a loud cracking noise that came from the back end when pedalling and traced it to the back wheel – I opened it up and noticed some of the free bearings weren’t round anymore. Cleaned out and replaced them with new bearings and grease – the obligatory ride round in the street told me all was good.
    Next ride the noise was back but worse than ever…it’s an inconsistent noise and every now again there’s a really loud cracking noise. Opened up again today to find tiny flakes of metal and the grease was really black after 2 rides (was red!). Also replaced BB so that’s not the source of the noise. I don’t think I’ve overtightened them so would rule that one out too 😕

I’ve waffled on a bit there but what’s the solution? Anyone had similar problems with Shimano cup and cone bearings?

Cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pitted cups/cones.
    Buy a new hub swap the axle/freehub.Knock the cups out with a bfh and swap them over (or rebuild with hub-takes about the same time).

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers Rorschach…dumbass question but do you mean swap?ing the guts of of the new hub with the existing hub with a bfh (big f*cking hammer?) – is this all easy. New hub and rebuilt wheel is gonna cost a fair bit…worth getting a different wheel?

nuke

My xt hub was causing me grief so I did what Rorschach suggested…bought a new xt hub for about £35 including a nice xt skewer, stripped out the built up wheel hub and the new hub, then put the new hub parts in the built up hub. Cups weren’t pitted so didn’t need to do that. You can sell the skewer for a tenner or so reducing cost

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bike woes’ is closed to new replies.