Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike Wheel Twang
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hi All,

I bought some new wheels from an unspecified on line shop late last month, in general I am quite happy with them.

However, under braking I seem to be getting twanging noises whcih sound like someone is running a twig/bar/thing across my spokes. I am worried they haven't been built up properly but don't really know what to expect.

They are 6 bolt XT hubs on EX5.1 rims with DT SS double butted spokes.

My previous wheels were rubbish, heavy and flexy but didn't make this noise… any ideas?

Cheers,

Dom

Onzadog
    Free Member

Could be a lack of tension allowing the spokes to move under tension or if it only happened on the first few stops and then became less and less, it could just be the spokes untwisting after building.

Are the wheels still true and do the spokes feel tight and even?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

The wheel looks true, the spokes feel even but there is a lot of lateral flex in them, much more than my previous wheels, but I did put this down to them being double butted so would have more flex in them at that point under the same tension anyway,

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should be tight

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Cheers, looks like an email to the shop in question and a trip to me local wheel builder to see what they say about them.

clubber
    Free Member

If it was just on the first ride, I'd have said that they hadn't destressed the wheel properly (which in itself, while not very professional isn't usually much of an issue). If it's still happening a month in then it sounds like the wheel's probably been built too loose – suggest taking it to a shop or someone who knows about wheel building to check as running it loose will quickly lead to snapping spokes which in turn will require them all being replaced.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike Wheel Twang’ is closed to new replies.