Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike Upgrade Help
  • kjrogers

Looking for some help. I’ve currently got a Specialized Camber Expert 2012 that has 120mm of travel. I really like riding the bike and it fits me well but I do have a bit of a new bike itch. I ride predominantly at Glentress but plan to expand to other areas this year. My preferred riding is the GT black route or red XC at Innerleithen. I’m also hoping to take a trip to the Alps this year. I’ve upgraded the bike to XT brakes, shadow plus rear mech and a command post so the drive train is pretty sound.

I’m thinking that the current bike will not be up to a trip to the Alps and something with a little more travel may be good. What I’m stuck on is the best approach to changing the bike. Is it better to sell as a complete unit or split the bike and try and carry components over to a new frame and fork ?

I’ve got my eye on the new Whyte G150 that with the 15% sale at LBS that happens in March would be a good price. I’ve also been offered a good price on a custom build of a Transition Bandit 29er with xfusion forks.

Other option is to pick up a Stumpjumper frame from Bikescene, fit a set of Pikes, buy new wheels and transfer everything over from my Camber. This is the cheapest option apart from fitting a sturdier fork to current bike by far.

Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

damascus
    Free Member

It sounds like you like the camber.

Why not keep it and buy a 2nd hand 26er with 150 travel. Use it for your trip then sell it again when you come back. There are some bargains at the moment.

kjrogers

Good idea but I think I would prefer to have spent a lot of time on the bike before heading abroad so I would prefer to have one bike.

brickwizard
    Free Member

Can I ask the name of your LBS? The 15% sale sounds tempting!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

too many questions…

Option 1.

Selling as bits takes longer, you may end up with bits people aren’t interested in. You tend to end up with more money and can keep bits you want for the new build eg. brakes, rear mech.

Option 2.

Is the G150 a complete bike? Frame and forks or just frame? It certainly looks lovely but is very different (almost 6″ of rear travel) to the Camber. Will you enjoy it on your local trails? The cost of good wheels and forks can be high!

Option 3.

I don’t like Stumpjumpers but many do.

Option 4.

Why don’t you think the bike is up to an Alps trip? Have you broken anything yet riding your current trails? Are you going to suddenly get massive air when you get there? Are you worried about dropping the chain? Buckling wheels? Poor suspension performance?

As you said, sturdier forks are the cheapest option. It sounds like you really like the Camber so perhaps upgrading it where necessary will make you happiest.

I see why Damascus made their suggestion but, like you, I prefer to have 1 bike and know it really well. Having said that, you could get the 2nd hand bike now, ride it until your trip and then sell it / keep it for the next outing!

The Whyte is a lot of cash but also a lot of bike. If you think you’ll enjoy it when you get back to Inners, get it!

donncha

As MCPH said why do you think your current bike isn’t up to the Alps?
    If you are happy riding it 51 weeks of the year why change for that 1 week?
    With bigger tyres & bigger rotors it should be fine.
    Of course you just might fancy a change so if you have the cash just buy whatever you think will make you most happy.

kjrogers

thanks for the replies. I’m thinking the current bike isn’t up to the alps due to the length of travel, everything else should be ok 68 degree head angle so not too steep. Wheels I wouldn’t be confident on as the rear bearings are prone to failing, replaced the last set after 6 weeks of riding.

I do sort of fancy a change, really liked the Whyte when I saw it, felt like the camber to sit on although it felt heavy and love the Transition bikes, unfortunately never ridden one but they looked nice. I’m cringing at how that sounds.
    Also would like to try 29er as I think that would be well suited to the riding I normally do.

Local bike shop is Edinburgh bike, normally have a 15% off weekend at the end of March.

If 120mm was good enough and thats the main question then I would consider keeping it and upgrading to an xfusion fork with 34mm stanchions and a decent pair of wheels.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike Upgrade Help’ is closed to new replies.