Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike transporter
  • Had
    Free Member

What have you guys got to carry your bikes in? I'm gonna start going further a field, want to get to some trail centers. ATM i've got an old passat saloon with a towbar and bike rack however i really want to put my bike in the car if going further a field and its not that suitable for that.

I was initially looking at a T4, but it appears insurance on a van is a lot higher than I was expecting. Was hoping for £400 but cant find anything under £800!

Anyone got any estate recommendations? Or van insurance companies? Got about 4k to spend.

Cheers

Drac

VW Bora saloon get 2 bikes in with ease and loads of gear.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Cheap and cheerful? Pug 806 1.9 or 2.0 turbo diesel (HDi). LX is simple, nowt to go wrong, cheap to run, comfy as rather softly-sprung. Or a Berlingo/Partner jobbie. Rather noisy on the motorway due to the shape though (at least the Mark 1 are).

matthew_h
    Free Member

Try the NFU for van insurance. A few friends are with them on their vans and they seem very good.

Gribs

Mondeo estate. Cheap, practical and easy to fix though mines been very reliable.

steveh

NFU, CIS and direct line are all worth a call for van insurance. You will have to phone NFU though (can't be done at branches or online).

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Try a citroen/pug/fiat dispatch/expert/scudo. I have a Fiat Scudo Combi with removable rear seat(seats 6) and has e/w and air con etc. Get over 40mpg and pay around £270 a year insurance. Has a 2 litre engine and comfortably cruises at 80mph all day(I drove to Calabria this summer). Hope this helps.

TomB

specifying that the van is not for business/commercial use reduces the premium significantly. my t5 was £300ish fully comp with Budget.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike transporter’ is closed to new replies.