Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike transport vehicle?
  • andyjh

Having a bit of change of circumstances at home so my need for cars are changing and I’m stuck on what to buy to transport bikes about.

Just bought myself a new Mini for daily duties and a bit of fun but I really can’t get a bike in or on it, damn body kit and spoiler won’t allow for a bike rack and obviously too small internally. Only option I’ve found is the Seasucker racks but I’m still not convinced of that option.

Anyway, I have a Audi estate which will be going as too big for my needs now. As it’s just for me and now family duties anymore I think a small van would be ideal to have so it can deal with dump runs and bike transportation equally well. I like the idea of putting the bikes inside the vehicle with little fuss, maybe taking the front wheel out, plus the added security of not being able to see the bike when left in service stations etc. Which is why I’m drawn to a van rather than an estate.

I keep looking at VW Caddy’s as a small van that will do most things but obviously come with VW tax, just so expensive for what they are! Don’t really want to spend more than £3-4K if I can help it, less if possible.

Suggestion? What have others found that works well?

Onzadog
    Free Member

We went through this recently. Thought about a van but the wife didn’t fancy driving one daily. Ended up with a zafira. Insanely dull car but cheap, efficient and massive in the back when you slide the 2nd row forwards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Vans and tip runs can be a pain check your local council policy. You may need a permit and be limited on trips.
    One of the best features or a decent Van is being able to get changed out of the weather. Had a caddy on hire for a week and that wasn’t happening easily.
    Next step up is the mid sized ones that are much more flexible carry more and replace a tent when it’s wet, very nice to do.

For me a bit bigger is best and as you won’t be nipping to the shops in it no loss in practical day to day stuff.

andyjh

Currently looking at Citreon Berlingo’s car variants as a bit of a compromise. Seems to have all the room required, cheaper as not a true van plus has a tailgate which I like for shelter. Anyone used one of these for carting bikes around?

Defender
    Free Member

I got a bike in the back of my 2006 MINI with at least the front wheel out, but admittedly it’s not the most commodious of cars, I once took the back seats out when collecting a set of 4 off road tyres for my Land Rover and they fitted nicely, much to the amazment of the guy I got them from.
    Have to say than my Honda Jazz is much better as a bike hauler, but not as nice to drive!

Davesport

Citroen Berlingo L2. Slightly longer body than the standard van. Downhill bikes go in complete with room to spare. 3 seats across the front and mine’s doing (so it tells me) 50 MPG give or take.

kayla1
    Free Member

Fiat Doblo car version- close the thread. Cheap to buy, insure and feed and enough room in the back (with the seats out) for 3 or 4 MTBs with wheels on or a CB500 track bike + genny 😀 Long enough to sleep in as well, if you lift the bed base up over the rear seat mounts. The tailgate lifts right up to use as a shelter too. Not in any way sexy though 😆 You will look like Postman Pat in a red one.

cakefacesmallblock

Been a bit of a VW nut meself. The g/f went to look for a caddy for biking and business duties, but was dismayed at the premium in price. So, for the past two tears has had a Berlingo diesel van. Got to say, it’s really good. Hers is at about 180k mikes and just runs really well.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I do lots of short trips and family stuff in my SWB transit. You turn the key and drive it where you want to go, it parks in a car parking space and really easy to park with it’s tight turning circle.

andyjh

Hmm, the Berlingo is coming out on top at the moment. Went to have a look at one in a dealer to get an idea of size and they look huge with enough flexibility to do most things bike related. Will probably stick with the car version now rather than the van so I can use it for all sorts then.

Just need to find a nice cheap one 🙂

andyjh

So drove Berlingo today, what a boat it is! 😀 I did expect that to some degree but I am wondering if there is anything else out there I could be looking at to fit the bill? I want something with small van type properties but not a van. Transporters are too big and pricey for me, Caddy Maxi seems good but again VW pricey.

Suggestions? Budget of around £4K max (ish)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Mk 2 Ford Galaxy / VW Sharan / Seat Alhambra.

All the rear seats are individually removable. Mahoosive inside. Car like to drive. Job jobbed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike transport vehicle?’ is closed to new replies.