Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike trailers for shopping and dog transport
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Hello All.

My wife and I are moving to France soon and I would like to move away from having a second car. Which for us would mean that I would need a trailer for shopping trips that would most likely be towed behind an old 26” Canondale mtb. The supermarket and local market are both only 20 mins away on a bike and its fairly flat terrain. I’m happy to go on a regular basis so I don’t need something that will carry two weeks worth of shopping, just a couple of days worth at a time. I don’t think I need a cover either though I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to have one.

I would also like to use the same trailer to transport a medium sized Cocker Spaniel to the local leisure lake which is about 30 mins away.

I have had a look online and seen a few but there seem so many different designs (2 wheeled, single wheeled, seat post mount, rear axle mount, etc etc) that I thought I would ask someone from the collective that might have experience of these things.

DrP

If on road/v light off-road, then 2 wheeled, attaches at the wheel axle.
    Someone’s bound to come along soon to tell you to get a sprung single wheeler for trans alpine adventures, but if just popping to the shops, you want something like this:

Stay away from high mounting trailers.

DrP

Del

had a burly tail wagon. my spaniel hated it, and i wasn’t all that happy with it as i found it a faff. you’ll want a good centre stand for the bike.
    have bought a surly big dummy for the job. need to figure out a container for the mutt but haven’t got around to it yet.

khani
    Free Member

I’ve got one like DrP posted, works a treat even when ‘slightly’ overloaded..

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks Del and DrP.

It will use be used on roads.

I hadn’t considered how it would stand up whilst I’m shopping!

Ian

alexh
    Free Member

The mount on my chainstay which attaches mine has an integrated stand. Made by Weber in Germany.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Are you sure you need a trailer for the dog ?

Del

LOL!
    Ian – you need the stand for loading/unloading.

project
    Free Member

Had a few seat pillar mount is better as you then have a handle to pull or push it along with, a rear axle one limits your turning circle as the wheel hits the arm, they do bounce round a bit empty, so place a paving slab in base and cover with some thick carpet,they are great load luggers abnd easy to ride with once youve got used to the pull up hill and push down hill feelings.

monksie
    Free Member

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike trailers for shopping and dog transport’ is closed to new replies.