Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike to Work – Accessories
  • gymaint
    Free Member

Is it possible just to get a voucher for accessories? Clothes mainly as I know they wont let you build a bike up in parts.

AndyP
    Free Member

Don't think so, you have to get a bike first and foremost IIRC

fbk
    Free Member

You are allowed to use some of the money for clothing, helmets, lights etc to use with the bike but I think you'd be pushing a bit just getting accessories and no bike 🙂

alexpalacefan

Looks like it has to be safety equipment, govt. info. here

Cheers

A

nbt

you can build a bike in parts, as long as you spec the whole bike. what you're not supposed ot do is buy a loads of parts and fit them to your existing bike

dan1980
    Free Member

Also, can you use the scheme for "repairs"? Say when my current loan expires, can I get a replacement fork on my bike? and drive train bits rather than a whole new bike?

thesurfbus
    Free Member

When I bought my bike from Halfrauds this year, they let me spend £700 on the bike and £400 on accessories. The accessories were for another bike e.g. Disc Brakes, Pedals, etc.

Doug

nbt

Also, can you use the scheme for "repairs"? Say when my current loan expires, can I get a replacement fork on my bike? and drive train bits rather than a whole new bike?

No, see my post above

gymaint
    Free Member

I think you can. From alexpalace fans link above it states

9) Consumer Credit Law
    The view of the OFT is that an agreement for the loan of a cycle or cyclists' safety equipment under a Cycle to Work scheme, whether or not coupled with a salary sacrifice arrangement, is a regulated agreement under the CCA. Help and advice on the CCA for individual businesses are available from local authority Trading Standards Services.

9.1 Consumer Credit Licence
    Any employer entering into the scheme will need the cover of a consumer credit licence. In order to facilitate the scheme the OFT has issued a group consumer credit licence designed to cover employers setting up Cycle to Work schemes so that employers need not apply individually for credit licences' for this purpose. Employers will be covered by the group licence so long as they are undertaking activities within its terms. The group licence covers only consumer hire business, (not the making of hire-purchase agreements – see below) for the purpose of providing employees with bicycles and or bicycle equipment up to the value of £1000, including VAT and not taking into account any income tax exemption under an employee benefit scheme, that is, the market price the employer pays or seeks to recover from the employee by way of hire charges.

It says or bicylce equipment so seem quite clear

nbt

Most shops I've talked to seem to regard "equipment" as "items purchased with a bike", e.g. rack and panniers, helmet etc. If you can get it though then good on you, it'll set an example that others can use. Keep us updated, good luck

rolfharris
    Free Member

We tend to do racks/bags/spd shoes- basic accesories, occasionally the odd Burley trailer last year but they're tightened up on that and do keep an eye on what you buy these days, so, no, probably not.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike to Work – Accessories’ is closed to new replies.