Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Bike stuff you still use that is most definitely past it's best.
  • ajantom

There are some bits of kit (components and riding kit) that you own that you know you should throw away and replace, but you just keep on using them.

Maybe just old.
    Maybe a little broken, but not so much that it’s unusable.
    Maybe so smelly, old and holey that it’s only worn as a base layer on special holidays.

For my part I give you the Franken-catcher….

It’s actually a combo of 2 different versions of the rear Crud-catcher. The back part fell off one, and then I found the back part of another one on the trails.
    Aha, I thought one rainy day, I’ll put them together…..nope, non-compatible models and won’t play ball. Well nothing a drill and some zip ties won’t cure.
    That was about 6 years ago 😆 and it just won’t die. Honestly, I’ve tried!

I’ve also got a 1994 Lusso top somewhere. It’s a cool looking top, but I only have to wear it for 10 minutes and it warms up and I remember why I don’t wear it all the time! Mmmm, 20 year old sweat.

ontor
    Free Member

my blue franken-windshirt. A buffalo windshirt that has done service all over the world since early 90s. it’s so UV damaged that it tears easily and has been sewn together endlessly. Love it.

Bregante

Not me but my mate has a similarly held together crud-catcher with several old shoe laces attaching it to itself. When he finally got rid of his ancient Marin last year for a brand new, top spec Orange 5, the first thing he did – was attach the same bloody crud-catcher!

This is probably my best example. A pair of cheapo fakeleys with prescription lenses which I use for night riding. They’ve been crashed/dropped and broken at least three or four times and are held together with Sugru. Still going strong!

mattyfez

Character innit.. Nothing worse than a brand new pristine bike.

garage-dweller

Me – the rider. The rest of it works quite well.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Buffalo here too. Here in Hamsterley in 199?

& here 2 years ago.

(still got the ‘same’ Triggers Brush HT as well)

ontor
    Free Member

I’ve got a green one same issue year as that too!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I still use a Blue Iridium lens that came on a pair of Mumbos. Yep, before they became M-Frames.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

One of my bikes has a set of 1995 Marzocchi DH3 forks on it. Although they’re actually in better nick than my newest ones which are 10 or so years old.

senorj

I have an orange evo4 hard tail ,26″wheel , old standards etc. A total triggers broom ,bar the brake levers. Every year I have the conversation with myself that I should retire it
    But it’s too much fun . And still works !
    #tightarse

sirromj

Middle front chainwheel on 26″ commute bike is so worn I have to pull away on the granny ring to prevent chain slip. Discovered on this mornings commute the front derailleur has now given up due to cable fray. Luckily had planned an easy ride so not a problem. Gives me an excuse to ride the FS tomorrow.

sirromj

walleater

My Lab Gear merino. They were all the rage on here circa 1985 but the garment seems to have lasted longer than the company. Full of holes but refuses to die.

pnik

My patagonia base layer bought it on a work trip to the states in 2004, still my favourite, still in one piece. Love it comfort baselayer

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My bike ran over these. But are still the best I have.

Also – the cargo bike has so much rust on headset cups that it looks sculptural.

antigee

disposed of these mitts recently – actually threw in bin rather than kept for spare!
    [/url]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My SPD shoes are held together with ductape.

I ride in them because I’ve actually ridden/walked through the soles of my 5.10 (still wearing those today actually)!

Bar tape on the roadie has worn through on the bend/hoods.

cokie

Pair of Royal gloves.
    Summer gloves bought a few years ago- both thumbs have holes, the palm is now half rubber from the gribs, the top is faded & some tears from thorns. They are comfy and do the summer job well though, so they shall stay.

Phil_H

My 10 year old ground effect soft shell.
    The zip pull tab is broken off so I have to pull the zip up with my fingers. It has a couple of holes and isn’t windproof anymore.
    It’s still my go to cold weather riding top.

TiRed

Di Marchi roubaix bin 3/4. Older than my teenagers, saggy, but soooo warm under my baggies when I occasionally see fit to go off road.

Dogsby

@walleater,

I still have a Labgear merino that I bought in Australia. Comfiest top I have ever had and like yours a little holey now but I cannot bring myself to get rid of it.

Dogsby

Gunz
    Free Member

Sunn t-shirt from 1993 (green with white and orange swirly Sunn logo), more holes than material these days.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The zip pull tab is broken off so I have to pull the zip up with my fingers.

Same thing has happened to a 15 yr old Altura jacket of mine – I replaced it with the circular clip part of a key ring, but small zip ties work too.

AlasdairMc

Gore 3/4 bibs. They can only be worn under things due to the 1” hole above the crotch and numerous others all around. Still comfy so I keep them.

ivantate
    Free Member

2004 pair of specialized bg gloves I found to ride to work this week.

All of the grippy rubbery cover has disintegrated and the gel pad gone solid. Didn’t realize in the dark what the issue was but couldn’t get out of the saddle as the material underneath was shiny shell suit stuff and my hands would slip off the bars.

trail_rat
    Free Member

1996 hope big in that’s just been moved to its 6th bike. (An ibis mojo no less)

matt_outandabout

My Vaude rucsack – 1997 vintage, still refuses to die…worn, stained, reflective stuff all worn off, missing some of the back, but still going.

pennine
    Free Member

1999 Karrimor Goretex Paclite jacket I bought from All Terrain Cycles when they were in Crosshills. Still pack or wear this on my local rides. Mainly showerproof now but still serves a purpose. Paid £130 back then – yikes!

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Salomon rucksack from 2000ish, used for running and biking, zip doesn’t completely close as I had to sew it together, on my third bladder, bought and Evoc to replace it but just go back to the Salomon

dufusdip
    Free Member

1989 specialized top. So old it’s almost retro cool. If it weren’t for the tool wearing it…

breadcrumb

Some (2008?) 661 Raji gloves that my fingers now poke through. Easier to unlock my phone now though.

brakes
    Free Member

some fox gloves. taped and stitched the fingers so many times until there was more tape and stitching than original material so chopped the fingers off and now use them as mitts.
    I find good fitting, comfortable gloves hard to find.

RustySpanner

1988 Stiff Little Fingers sweatshirt.
    Wore it on a ride over the weekend.

Finally starting to fall apart, has holes from creosote, but still just about ok over a base layer.

spot
    Free Member

Macpac hydration pack. Bought on a trip to nz in 1999

hot_fiat

I’ve a polaris windproof smock top that randomly appears. I think I bought it in 1995.

Until very recently my SPD shoes were some 661 launches from 2004/5. The outer coating had some off, so they looked like cotton wadding held together with shoelaces & velcro.

drnosh
    Free Member

Just dug out an old set of Nite Flux lights for this winters riding.

They are 17 years old, and admittedly only used during winter months, but tested them last night and they ‘ran’ for 3 1/2 hours on full power.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Bike stuff you still use that is most definitely past it's best.’ is closed to new replies.