Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike stores (or anyone) – what's the typical margin on a top-end/boutique frame?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Say on a £2100 frame from a US manufacturer, 20-30%? more? Not looking for an exact number, just an idea… cheers 8)

wwaswas

who’s margin – the bike shops, the importers, the manufacturers mark up?

are you looking for some haggling room?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why are you even dealing with that shop, after what they did to your frame?

You should go in and **** one of their proper spensive bikes with a hammer, even things up.

Or send me in there…

Has T thawed out yet from being frozen? Poor little thing… 🙁

nodrog2
    Free Member

Shop margin on a frame of your description is usually 20-30%.

psychle
    Free Member

who’s margin – the bike shops, the importers, the manufacturers mark up?

purely the Bike Shop’s… a shop owes me from an error ages ago (their workshop dented a Yeti frame, effectively making it unsellable, still rideable though). They’ve offered me approx 10% off an upcoming new frame, but I’m thinking to push for a bit more, just don’t want to take the p1ss with them, but I want a fairer/better deal for me as well!

wwaswas

just ask for it at cost and see what they say? If they agree ask for proof 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont bike shops have insurance for damage ? Cant they give you a new one and claim it on their insurance ?

psychle
    Free Member

Why are you even dealing with that shop, after what they did to your frame?

Purely to get a decent deal on this new bike, otherwise I wouldn’t… I’d be dealing with The Bike Chain and be a lot happier I’m sure (would probably have my bike by now as well!)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Depends how much of a haggler you are, but I would be expecting more than 10% for a fresh order, regardless of history.

Considering they damaged/compromised the value of a previous frame, i’d be pushing for an at ‘cost’ replacement as an absolute minimum.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Would be wanting more than 10% discount. Most shops will offer a 10% discount on frames and bikes with very little haggling. If they owe you then I would be looking at a trade price or at least 20% discount. Are the shop in question an official dealer of the frame you want or are they just able to get a hold of them? If they are a dealer then they will have a better margin than if they are simply able to buy the the frame.

IdleJon

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/when-would-u-not-ask-for-discount-in-a-bike-shop

If you can be bothered to read that link, you’ll see that the shop owners are very, very coy about how much their margin is.

I used to work in the bike industry and we bought pretty much everything in at around 60-70% of RRP (or SRP, whatever it’s called these days!) I was able to buy several frames and bikes at the trade price.

In the linked thread above, I’m told that things have changed an awful lot in the last 6 years and that margin is much less now. But then a couple of the shop guys manage to inadvertantly give away the 40% margin they have…… 🙄

RealMan
    Free Member

They’ve offered me approx 10% off an upcoming new frame, but I’m thinking to push for a bit more

Most shops offer a 10% discount if you say you’re part of a cycling club. That’s pathetic. MTFU, go in there and tell them you want the money for the frame they damaged.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Certain things, particularly some high end stuff like frames, have really low margins – 20% would not surprise me.

Margin varies massively according to the product.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Innit though??

I’d’ve had a replacement frame out of them. Minimum. And got them to transfer all the parts over. Then they could have the damaged unsaleable frame to deal with.

And the time you’ve had to wait for your new frame? And all they’re giving you is 10%???

They’re taking you for a mug mate. I wouldn’t accept that. They’re probbly this minute laughing at you behind your back.

Shop damages customer’s frame and do bugger all to rectify the situation.

They are really, really lucky it’s not me they’re dealing with.

psychle
    Free Member

Certain things, particularly some high end stuff like frames, have really low margins – 20% would not surprise me.

Margin varies massively according to the product.

That’s the thing, and I don’t want to take the mickey with them… I just want a fair deal, for both parties, and I want to walk away ‘happy’ with them again, which I still ain’t…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Give them the frame and get them to give you the money for a new one you buy from them i.e. cost price that would be fair!

psychle
    Free Member

I’d’ve had a replacement frame out of them

I could’ve had this (or a new front triangle anyhoo) three years ago when it happened, but the ‘agreement’ (not in writing, just a verbal and a nod with one of the owners) we reached was that they’d help out with a deal when the time came to purchase a new frame…

RealMan’s right, I need to MTFU and go have a good long serious chat with the owner I spoke with all that time ago… I’ve handled it pretty poorly myself, really should’ve dealt with him direct in the first place rather than with one of the staff (who I get along with really well, but I’m going to end up costing him commission I guess…)

druidh
    Free Member

Do they have your replacement frame in stock yet – or are you yet to order it?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike stores (or anyone) – what's the typical margin on a top-end/boutique frame?’ is closed to new replies.