• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wl.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bike storage – those secure metal boxes – any experience?
  • wl
    Free Member

Anyone use one of those secure, purpose-built metal boxes for storing their mountain bike in? Just wondering how easy to use and secure they are as a permanent storage solution. And do they tend to be dry enough for bikes not to suffer corrosion etc in a wet climate? Also, any insurance implications? Which brands are good? Ta v much for any info or tips.

dpfr

Yes. I have the Asgard 1 bike box, which can actually hold two bikes and I store a 29er and a road bike in it. It’s good and solid. One slight drawback of the version I have, which has a padlock, is that the hasp is slightly too small to take a Sold Secure Gold padlock. So if your insurers require Sold Secure Gold, I think you’d have to have them secured inside the box.

There is some ventilation but it does get damp in there at this time of year.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I wrote this review 6 years ago…
    http://www.descent-world.co.uk/2010/08/07/safe-as-part-1-asgard-secure-bike-storage/

6 years later and its still going strong, no thefts, no corrosion. Been dismantles and rebuilt at new house too with no problems.

fettlin

I have this one, purchased after some scrotes tried to get into the shed!

Superb! From order to delivery Asgard were great to deal with, then a mate and I spent about an hour building it up with no problems. Plenty of room for 4 bikes, very solid and secure. It put my mind at rest once the bikes were tucked away.
    Just make sure you have a solid level base to put it on (mine is on a thick concrete pad with a ground anchor bolted through from the inside and a f’off chain through it for good measure!).

I did look at their smaller ones as well and would have no hesitation buying one of them if space was tight. They seem to be one of the only ones with thicker gauge panels, most others look like they are made from coke cans.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for all this info and the links etc – much appreciated. Nice to see a unanimous verdict on here for once.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bike storage – those secure metal boxes – any experience?’ is closed to new replies.