Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike storage in a van, show me yours :-)
  • mactheknife

I am about to but a cheapo Mercedes Vito for biking / kitesurfing duties.
    I need some inspiration on bike storage.

It will be a panel van so i need some way of storing the bikes in transit. What u got?? 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

Make a couple of wheel holders from wood that the front and back wheels will sit in and then use a ratchet strap against the loading hooks to hold them down?

mactheknife

Yep, that was my original thought. Also been looking for a rail type of thing that you can attack the forks to with the maxle.

Just musing at the moment 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Get it on the wall raised If possible so it’s right out of the way from damage or getting in the way.

hammyuk
    Free Member

mactheknife

Rail

Closest i can find for what i think i am after, but cannot find the adapter for a 15mm maxle.

I might just be over thinking this one.

Good idea there hammy 🙂 i like the simplicity.

mactheknife

Found the bad boy 🙂

fork adapter.

Just have to figure out a way of attaching it to the floor 😯

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Seriously? Having a van for biking is about having space to stand, sit, dry, change. Storing the bike is a side thought and quite trivial in comparison. Don’t put the bike on the floor in the way…get a bungee a d wedge it to the side well out of your way.

gb1m
    Free Member

Just have to figure out a way of attaching it to the floor

get a plank of wood and cut it to the width of the van and attach the 15mm fork up to that.

coatesy
    Free Member

One of the best things about owning a van that size is not having to take bits off the bike when you put it in. I’ve made mounts to hold the seatpost with a toe-strap, bolted to the ply liner in my mates van, freestanding on a H-shaped frame in mine.

PolisherMan

Jeez, just chuck em up the front and throw loads of stuff in after….it’s a van!

scotroutes

I just bungee mine to the side of the van.

gb1m
    Free Member

Problem is when your carrying more than one bike , handlebars always get in the way of one another.

Marin
    Free Member

Just stick then in behind the seats and have a nice dry space to change and brew up. Dan’s the man for talking sense.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We stored ours under the bed (bigger van) wasn’t bothered about taking the wheel out as it only takes 30s to do. If I was doing it again I would combine it with something the the hurricane adapters or something like that to secure them.
    A mate made one of these

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?38976-PVC-Bike-Rack

gb1m
    Free Member

This looks pretty good and inexpensive . Plenty of room to change and store your kit .

or this is genius

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Now one strategically placed bungy stays in place and I just push the front wheel into the corner and hook the bungy round the saddle nose. Fast, simple, cheap.

mactheknife

gb1m thats the idea 🙂 those floor mounts are exactly what i am after 🙂

PolisherMan, where is the fun in just chucking them in 😛

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike storage in a van, show me yours :-)’ is closed to new replies.