Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike storage hooks – in block-work or on a batten?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I want to put some hooks in the garage to hang the bikes from, but not sure whether they are best screwed into the block-work or attached to a batten? The blocks are pretty solid and I’ve not had any issues with other things so is there any advantage to using a batten? Thanks

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

The advantage of batten is that you could more easily fine tune the position of the hooks at a later date.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’d go directly into the blocks if you can. You’d need a biggish batten to fit bike hooks into. I would only use a batten if I couldn’t drill where I wanted the hooks (eg, as frequently happens with curtain poles because of the lintel)

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’d put a hefty batten up. As said above, easier to fine tune the position of hooks. You could also easily add other (smaller) hooks for hanging all sorts of other bits and pieces (helmets, hydration packs, etc).

Basically, once a batten is up, it becomes a 2 minute job to add more hooks

Candodavid
    Free Member

Scaffold pole from ceiling and hooks over

ajantom

Definitely batten.
    I’ve got 8 bikes hung from a 2.4m length in the garage. The batten itself is fixed to the blocks with 2 screws at either end end.
    It’s a lot easier to screw hooks into wood instead of breeze blocks!

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks All, looks like it’ll be easier to use a batten. I want to get the bikes into as little space as possible so plan to stagger the hooks between two levels, any advice on best spacing or am I best just fitting the first hook and seeing where will work?

daver27
    Free Member

it’ll depend entirely on the bikes you are wanting to hang, start with one and work it out on the fly.

dogxcd

I used a length of plywood that I had lying around , attached with concrete screws to the blockwork ,using one drill[cobalt tipped ] and a torx bit in an impact driver
    went up in minutes & gives loads of flexibility for repositioning and revising hooks

jkomo

What hooks are people using?

dogxcd

BBB
    had a look at others & tried a few eB cheapie -found these best

Tracey

We have seven of the Dacathlon £3.99 ones along the back wall of the garage straight into the block work. They will take a 2.5 tyre with a deep carbon rim with ease. The front wheels go in at 45 deg to give us more room, the back wheels rest on the floor. Been in for quite a few years and are still soild

TiRed

batten and bolted to the wall, I hang up to five bikes per batten with no issues. Where I can screw into the joists, I do that instead as the spacing is perfect for bikes.

I use cheap Halfords hooks and wrap them in additional inner tubes.

dogxcd

I had a look at Pinterest for ideas-quite a few novel examples
    iirc vertical bike storage or similar

thomthumb
    Free Member

I want to get the bikes into as little space as possible so plan to stagger the hooks between two levels, any advice on best spacing or am I best just fitting the first hook and seeing where will work?

i think i did 300 offset. should have done more. Depends on the bikes too. I have two city bikes (swept back bars), two road bikes and two wide bar MTBs – there is a definate best arrangment.

Tracey

Ours are all mountain bikes, started at one side with 26″, then 650b and finally 29″ They are all equally spaced but not sure of the gap

JEngledow
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the B&Q storage track system hooks?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike storage hooks – in block-work or on a batten?’ is closed to new replies.