• This topic has 34 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • bike storage advice needed…
  • gonzy
    Free Member

so, i have the bike in the spare room hooked to the wall by the front wheel while the back wheel is resting on the floor…but wifey is still not happy…

as you can see the handlebars stick out and wifey’s said that she’s caught herself on the bars a few times
    i’m wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the front wheel rotate the bars and then hook it using the fork axle…i think doing this will stop her from walking into it but i’m worried that it might cause some damage to the forks

will it be ok doing this or will i be faced with impending bike doom?

following the theft of my dh bike from my shed last year i’ve been very reluctant to put another bike in there.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Can you put the hook higher up so the bars are above head height?

Might need something stronger to take the full weight.

jamiep
    Free Member

the rear wheel need not be on the floor – why not mount the bracket as high up the wall as possible? I do, but do also rotate the bars 90deg

gonzy
    Free Member

the problem i have is due to the 2.4″ tractor sized tyres i run i have to wiggle the rim under the hook….i cant see myself doing this for 2 hooks higher up with a 34lb bike
    i use some 2.35″ maxxis ignitors too but i also have to do the same to get the wheel under the hook when they are on.
    also having the back wheel on the ground makes it easier to hook and unhook the bike.

in taking the front wheel off and storing it, this would also help me as the wheels need to come off before it goes in the car so having one less wheel to remove and attach would make it easier for me

plus she wont allow me to drill another hook onto the wall…i’ve only just managed to get her to agree to me fitting a squire wall anchor for the lock…after that no more drilling into the wall

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Why not hang the bike by the handlebars with the tyres pointing out?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

nah, leave it where it is and get a new wife.

hooli

Tell her to be more careful when walking around it so she doesn’t catch herself on the bars?

And really, you let your wife tell you where you can and cant drill a hole in the house that you both live in and pay for?

Tracey

Bigger hook and and turn the wheel through 90 deg so wheel is horizontal and bars vertical. We use the decathlon hooks which are very sturdy and can take big tyres

smurf
    Free Member

Forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission.

gonzy
    Free Member

Why not hang the bike by the handlebars with the tyres pointing out?

she’d walk into the tyre instead…

gonzy
    Free Member

get a new wife

no one’s that crazy enough to have me…or put up with me

Bigger hook and and turn the wheel through 90 deg so wheel is horizontal and bars vertical. We use the decathlon hooks which are very sturdy and can take big tyres

i cant do this because the space between the boiler cupboard wall and the bed isnt wide enough…

i think the best solution would be to take the wheel off and then rotate the bars 90 degrees so the bars are vertical and hook it using the fork axle…but i dont want to damage the forks in doing this

hammyuk
    Free Member

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?
    Just fit another hook and deal with the fall out – would she rather walk into the bars again or not?

gonzy
    Free Member

And really, you let your wife tell you where you can and cant drill a hole in the house that you both live in and pay for?

seeing as it is her house too…why not? beats getting earache over it…

gonzy
    Free Member

i cant do this because the space between the boiler cupboard wall and the bed isnt wide enough…

having said that..there is just about enough room to squeeze another bike in
    she’s not happy about the commuter bike living in the kitchen either…
    so if i can hook them with the front wheel off…then it allows the commuter to move out of the kitchen and that would please her and she wouldnt be bothered that i’d have to drill another hook into the wall…

so can it be done?

neilwheel
    Free Member

Get some hi-viz socks and put them on the bars………….

shifter
    Free Member

Looks like you have high ceilings, plenty of room for hanging by the pedal with a Point bracket.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Any pics if these uber decathlon hooks in action? 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just loosen the stem and turn the bars through 90 degrees.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Buy her some glasses. 😈

eskay

What about something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ceiling-mount-bike-lift-n35jl

If you are near Bristol I have a couple I bought from Lidl a while ago. My garage ceiling was too low to use them. You can have both of them for £7

Tracey

Seven bikes hung on the back wall all on decathlon hooks

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@tracey epic use of space!

andcarson
    Free Member

Something like this?

gonzy
    Free Member

Looks like you have high ceilings, plenty of room for hanging by the pedal with a Point bracket.

i’d love to do this but there is a sloping ceiling above the bed which means the bike wouldnt be high enough

Buy her some glasses.

she already does wear glasses….gonna send her to specsavers for some better jamjars!!

beefheart
    Free Member

Remove the bed, turn your shed into the spare room, and have the ‘spare’ room as a dedicated man cave.
    Everybody’s happy!

gonzy
    Free Member

Remove the bed, turn your shed into the spare room, and have the ‘spare’ room as a dedicated man cave.

Hmmmmm….now there’s an idea ending in divorce!! 😆

nickgti
    Free Member

I can’t see a problem with hanging it from the through axle since the main weight of the bike is on the back wheel still. So the force is being applied straight down to stop the back from flipping back should be fine.

other option might be to remove the front wheel and turn it round then hook the bars onto the hook so the forks face out. if it would work

GregMay
    Free Member

Health and safety risk statement, high viz tape, cones, sirens.

Then let’s see what pisses her off more.

It’s a bike, walk round it.

m360
    Free Member

Put a lock on the door and a keep out sign.

Seriously though, do you ever ride the bike? How do you not get tyre marks, chain lube and mud all over the spare room?!?!

shifter
    Free Member

Point+shelf by woldspinner, on Flickr

i’d love to do this but there is a sloping ceiling above the bed which means the bike wouldnt be high enough

Are you sure? Is the slopey bit behind the camera then?

There would be plenty of room beneath my bike for a bed (should the time ever come where I have to sleep in the garage). The shelf’s not actually necessary btw.

gonzy
    Free Member

Is the slopey bit behind the camera then?

yes the section of ceiling above the bed slopes all the way up to the section of wall behind the bike in the pic. before i mounted the hook in the wall i did consider this idea but the bike would have been too low on the wall and would have been only a few feet above the bed

How do you not get tyre marks, chain lube and mud all over the spare room?!?!

i wash the bike before it goes upstairs…but there are dirty scuff marks on the wall from where the tyre touches it…she cant see them because the bike is in the way….i also have a plastic sheet under the back wheel. bike gets lubed, serviced etc in the kitchen

I can’t see a problem with hanging it from the through axle since the main weight of the bike is on the back wheel still. So the force is being applied straight down to stop the back from flipping back should be fine.

just the answer i was looking for…although i’m going to have to remove the hook and drill it in lower as its too high as it is now to hook onto the axle unless i stick a raised platform under the back wheel to lift it up

other option might be to remove the front wheel and turn it round then hook the bars onto the hook so the forks face out. if it would work[/quote]

this might work though…i’ll give it a try tonight

PhilO
    Free Member

Ratchet strap between fork arch and stem, compress fork, hang up? 😕

nickgti
    Free Member

or turn the hook in some way to hold the stem instead of the bars, as it may be a bit of a balacing act if it’s holding the bars little nock might make the bars turn or two hooks one for each end of the bars

eskay

How about making up a little qiick release clamp on a piece of wood and mounting it on the wall. Then remove the front wheel and fix it into your wall mounted quick release ‘hub’ .

kilo

get an old wheel with no tyre on it and use that for hanging the bike with?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘bike storage advice needed…’ is closed to new replies.