Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bike shops near Dundee…. Road bike purchase £500 budget!
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Well as title suggests,

I’m looking for a road bike for around the £500 mark. I’m a dizzy enducing 5ft 5/6 so corresponding size to suit.

Looking to purchase this weekend, anybody recommend or know of any deals in the area?

Been to the Dundee shops and no great deals to be had, looks like I’ll have to go further afield. I have looked at loads online but think I’d rather try before I buy. Saw a nice Scott in the window of Perth City Cycles tonight so that will be a phone call for tomorrow.. Other than that I’m open to suggestions if anybody can help.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

What about Kirkcaldy ?. Ive got a Trek 1.1 2011 that id sell, its basically brand new and only used on the turbo trainer for approx 2 hours, never been on the road. Im about 5′ 7″ and its a size 52 so will be perfectly sized for you.

mail me on mike _ lesleyc at yahoo dot co dot uk

cheers

Mike

montylikesbeer

My mate got a Triban 3, for the money it is an absolute minter

£299.00

DECATHLON, EDINBURGH
    Hermiston Gait Retail Park
    27 Cutlins Road
    EH11 4DG Edinburgh
    Phone : 0131 442 3293

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the weekends viewing. Does look exceptionally good value.

Thanks for the offer of the Trek mate, I’m after a carbon fork tho, my hands and arms suffer as it is.. Can’t imagine an alloy fork would do me and favours.

Thanks though.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

MGR? 😉

druidh
    Free Member

The next B.Twin up – for £499 – has a carbon fork.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-id_8167039.html

montylikesbeer

Druid, the 3 also has a carbon fork !!!

I shelled out £900 odd for a ribble winter trainer and if I had known I would have gone for one of these

druidh
    Free Member

Oh aye – the 5 has the carbon seatstays (and Sora)

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Is carbon not stiffer than aluminium ?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Had 2 mates buying Tribans this week. One a 3 and one a 5. I set them both up on them. Both spot on for the money. Nice touches like stainless cables and frame chainstay protectors and rubber anti chaff’s on the headtube. The only fault we have seen has been an iffy tyre. Both great value. If I was after a bike then both would be on the list for the money. Decathlons site info is pants. Difference between the 3 and 5 is the 5 has a carbon rear seatstays, Sora chainset and BB, wellgo keo copy pedals, better handlebar tape and thats about it. Still worth the extra, personally.

birky
    Free Member

I had a look at the Triban 5 last week, are they still 2012 models? 2013 Sora shifters have double levers but the 5 had old style ones with a thumb shifter on the hood.

druidh
    Free Member

Depends if it has been designed to be stiffer or not.

dirtdiggler
    Free Member

Druidh, cheers. I just presumed a carbon fork would be lighter and stiffer than an aluminium version, more to it then.

Northwind

Triban is ridiculous value… Halfords are usually worth a look too, the Gryphon and TDF are both solid but the prices wobble all over the place (and if you’re coming to the Edinburgh Decathlon, there’s a Halfords just along the block)

Glasgow Fort Decathlon is bigger, mind.

stratman
    Free Member

Carbon forks should be a bit more forgiving on our roads. You’ll be amazed how unsmooth they are.

clubby

Try Steve at Angus Bike Chain in Arbroath. Usually has good deals on Meridas.

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks Clubby, I’ll phone him tomorrow. Always forget about them.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Try Richards of Perth

http://www.jmrichardscycles.co.uk/

Helpful staff, I usually speak with Ali.

highlandman
    Free Member

Also try John Simpson at Fife Cycle Centre, Leuchars. He carries a surprisingly wide stock and will probably have a few somethings to choose from. Likes his road bikes does John..

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If you were do venture to Decathlon at Hermiston Gate I can vouch for the “bike” guys on the shop floor there. They are uber-helpful, know their stuff and seem honest about the kit they sell. And they sell TONs of Tribans every month.

I know it’s probably not trendy upping a big chain, but certainly my local is at least 10x better than say Halfords or Evans.

#Edit – I’ve got a Triban 3. Its great for the money.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bike shops near Dundee…. Road bike purchase £500 budget!’ is closed to new replies.