• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Bike shop owners – please read
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Bit cheeky, but I ‘brought’ a Rockshox Monarch 3.1 High Volume from a well known bike chain at the weekend. Well I say I brought, I selected on the website and put in my credit card details…. but had a voice mail today saying that they’d cancelled the order as the price had increased due to ‘the exchange rate’.

This has left me a bit miffed as the shock was in stock when I ordered, and the exchange rate hasn’t changed significantly for a couple of months… fair enough, it’s they’re shop I guess, but it’s left me annoyed. In fact it’s sitting on their website still at the original price. I note the new price is actually the price they said they discounted it from…

So before I stump up the extra, does any bike shop want to sell me a 216 x 63mm Rockshox Monarch 3.1 High Volume for the price I was orginally going to pay – 180 pounds including postage. If so please mail me at ewan @ ewanpanter . co . uk and you’ll have an instant sale.

IWH
    Free Member

I’d get back onto the shop and point out that unless they remove the item from sale completely and then put it back at the price they claim it is now then you’ll report them to their local trading standards. Or, they can complete the contract that you attempted to enter into with them over this shock.

Xan
    Free Member

If you are in the U.k. the sale of goods act states that they must sell you the item at the advertised price when you buy it is store but I am not sure if you are covered by this on web site sales.

Ewan
    Free Member

Well I might have to buy it from them if I can’t find anywhere else… i’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they’re not trying to do me over, but at the same time I prefer to take my custom else where if I can do so.

So, anyone want to sell me it…?

markd
    Free Member

Xan – you dont have to sell anyone anything if you dont want to. sorry.

st

I’m sure the STW consumer consultants will be along shortly but I’m fairly sure that the listing on the site is an invitation to treat, as when something on the shelf of the shop. In opting to buy that item you are then making the offer for the shopkeeper to accept, or not as the case may be. The contract of sale is all about offer and acceptance.

Not defending what’s happened mind you, assuming the shop have the part in stock then they wouldn’t be paying the distributor / importer any more for that particular item.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

not a chance – websites are able to make mistakes unfortunately for you, right up to the point of payment. I’ts not ideal though I have to agree. I’d get in touch though and let them know it’s still onsale at the old price, it’s always worth a punt. Sometimes bike shops do my head in….

menothim
    Free Member

Mate, are you sure actually managed to buy them? Your inability to operate the keyboard properly in your posts leads to room for doubt.

By brought, does one assume you mean bought? And you got it wrong twice!

And “they’re shop”. They are shop. Hmm. Oh, you mean their?

Sorry – just feeling arsey.

Jimmer
    Free Member

Oh dear

coffeeking
    Free Member

[pedant]
    bought bought bought bought bought bought arrrrrrgghhhhh
    [/pedant]

Unfortunately they dont have to sell you anything and if they remove/change the price soon after you have no comeback. Their shop, their stock – their choice.

djglover
    Free Member

Another rant FAIL! Ewan??

sc-xc

from now on Im purposely going too make typing error’s to wind you up menothim.

One would assume that you get wound up quite easily

firestarter
    Free Member

no he owns the shop. Please note this is not true 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

Er, as I stated in the original post, I put ‘brought’ in quotes. Implying that I hadn’t. I’m well aware of the law of contract.

All I am asking is does a *different* bike shop want my business because the original shop has let me down. I don’t really care if it’s a mistake or not, all I want to do is buy it for the price I thought was reasonable. If no one else offers one at that price then fair enough…

v10
    Free Member

Still showing with an SRP of £195.74 (no hardware) on the fisherb2b website. Also showing in stock.

djglover
    Free Member

‘brought’ as in to bring? FAIL 😳

Ewan
    Free Member

menothim – are you for real? Really? Pointing out spelling mistakes and grammatical errors to a someone you’ve never met on the internet at half past ten at night? Seriously…

Obviously, if you’re taking the p1ss, then you well and truly have a bite 😆

Ewan
    Free Member

v10 – it wasn’t fisherb2b

menothim
    Free Member

Made you look! 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

:mrgreen: Another fail. Damn.

dr_adams
    Free Member

I thought it was as soon as money changed hands that the contract is formed, and thus why most online retailers don’t take money until its all ready to be shipped?
    I know if something is mistakely advertised at a lower price, they don’t have to sell it to you but can instead withdraw it from sale for 30 days instead.

Diawl
    Free Member

Bad spelling annoys the **** out of me too. It’s not difficult. The past tense of to buy is bought, the past tense of to bring is brought.

v10
    Free Member

I was looking on fishers as they are the distributor 😉

YGM anyway.

Ewan
    Free Member

v10 – YGM too 😀

Offroading
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22398

Ask them to get one in. Probably dont keep them in stock as its an unusal size.

Providing this isnt the shop you “brought” it from 😉

poly
    Free Member

when they said it was “in stock” what they probably actually mean is it is available for “immediate shipment” because it is “in stock” at the distributor and so he can get it in 24 hrs – very few online retailers actually hold much stock of anything unless it is a high turnover product.

MS
    Free Member

Heap of them out there for that price.

Rutland

Ewan
    Free Member

MS – Yep, there are *now*. Guess what bike shop contacted me…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I swear Rutland employs someone to trawl the formus looking for what tires/bike/shock/shop threads.

Once asked about specilized SX’s and pitch’s (before the MBR review)on here an SDH and got e-mails responding to both threads from rutland!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

‘If you are in the U.k. the sale of goods act states that they must sell you the item at the advertised price’

Absolutley not.

Ewan
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – who knows – but you’ve got to appricate the service!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Bike shop owners – please read’ is closed to new replies.