Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bike shop insurance quote
  • DezB
    Free Member

I need to get a “repair or replace” quote from a bike shop and my LBS want £15 for the privilege – don’t mind paying, but are there any bike shop folks on here who’ll do it? I’ve got decent photos and it’s quite obviously a replacement needed!

Please get in touch if you can help out.

thanks

ojom
    Free Member

For £15 or for free?

andyl
    Free Member

tbh they do need to charge for their time, after all you might not use them for the repair/replace. Surely you can pass on the cost to the insurance anyway if it’s a problem?

thomthumb
    Free Member

I need to get a “repair or replace” quote

who for? won’t they pay?

bencooper
    Free Member

Most shops (me included) charge for quotes but refund the charge if we get the business.

Which we almost never do as insurance companies will try to stiff you with a replacement from Wheelies or one of the other big companies who have the insurance market sewn up.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, for free! 🙂 or cheaper than £15!

Frame is worth about a grand, but house contents only covers it up to £500, so want to save as much as I can 🙁

andyruss
    Free Member

just out of intrest do you work for free also

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, if someone asked me to do them a favour, I would. Have often sent out bits to people on here for nothing. Why do you ask? Are you offering help?

andyruss
    Free Member

No but your lbs is trying to make money to pay his staff ,god forbid it makes a profit

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, if someone asked me to do them a favour, I would

Is fixing a puncture a favour? Fitting a chain? Servicing a suspension fork?

DrP

Is fixing a puncture a favour? Fitting a chain? Servicing a suspension fork?

I’ve done all these things as favours, so yes….

DrP “Devil’s Advocate…”

bencooper
    Free Member

But presumably that’s not your job?

I do people favours. I even do it in “work time”. But when doing someone a favour means I can’t do other work and I lose money, then it’s not really a good idea is it?

Or do you really think that paying a bike shop for any service is ridiculous as they should just do it for a favour?

xiphon
    Free Member

It’s a ‘favour’ if you’re mates with the LBS, not if you’re a regular customer (or potential customer)

bencooper
    Free Member

Exactly. And what’s so unreasonable about charging for it, but refunding if the shop gets the work?

DezB
    Free Member

FFS, did I say it was unreasonable??

andyruss, you’re coming across as quite the dickhead, I hope you’re not.

So glad I asked this question! You know, thinking the STW “community” might assist. Must’ve slipped my mind what folk are like on here.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have never been charged for an insurance quote from a bike shop. Is this a new practice? You should ask the insurace company to send someone out to assess the damage. M&S did this for a frame for me once.

I think the attitude of AndyRuss and BenCooper is pretty crap. I would do work for people on here for free and have done in the past.

watsontony
    Free Member

you cant charge for a quote… if you willing to pay for a quote then you need to get a grip. when i get any work done of any kind, i ask different people for quotes and i choose the best price. nobody has ever asked me to pay them for them to tell me how much it would be to fix. must just be a bike shop thing ehh??

druidh
    Free Member

The point?

It went thataway ======>

DezB
    Free Member

<==============================

Northwind

The topic’s gone where it’s gone, but, seems to me that the basic issue isn’t the shop charging, it’s the insurer putting their cost of doing business onto their customer? I mean, a £15 cost per bike insured… And what if you change the bike etc?

My insurer says “What are they worth” and I tell them.

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s only an issue with custom built up bikes or one that’s been heavily modified. If I’d bought a lot of the bits from the LBS I’d expect a valuation for insurance purposes (assuming this is what we’re talking about…) to be free, if I bought the stuff from various on-line retailers I’d expect to pay up to about £15. It’s less of a rip-off than Dr’s charging to sign anything IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

The topic’s gone where it’s gone

Not sure where that is personally. 😕

lovewookie

Frame is worth about a grand, but house contents only covers it up to £500, so want to save as much as I can

Be careful with that, if you’ve under insured an item they’ll not pay at all.

Most shops I’ve asked about insurance replacement costs charge between £10-15 but will discount that (and often more) if you buy from them as a result.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s not under insured, I have my MTB as a specified item, but other “non-specified pedal cycles” have a £500 limit. Cheers for the info anyway.

gearfreak
    Free Member

I’ve generally not charged for insurance quotes. I think the only time I would if it was a particularly in depth or detailed quote, where I was very unlikely to receive any of the business. That’s a bit different to quoting for a job where you have a fair chance of gaining the business. A lot of insurance companies use Wheelies, so the LBS will get no business from them. If it’s a 2 minute your bike was worth approx £700, here’s a quote on headed paper job I’d do it as a favour/goodwill/keep a potential customer happy. If it’s a custom bike and it’s going to take me an hour to check all the pricing of all the parts, then I’d possibly charge, £15 would seem reasonable. It would depend a bit on any number of factors.

In the three years I’ve been going I’ve probably got business from 25-30% of the quotes I’ve done. A number of insurance companies have sent the customer a cheque made out to the shop so they have had to spent it in the shop.(This tends to be accident claims, not theft of a bicycle)

munrobiker
    Free Member

Go to a chain. When I worked in a small shop we charged but when I worked in a big chain we didn’t because as a staff member I had a lot less interest in the shop making even more money and it killed a few hours facing up. Ask nicely and they may well even twiddle it for you.

I don’t work for the shop any more so can’t really help officially I’m afraid.

DezB
    Free Member

As I said gearfreak “I don’t mind paying” (maybe I used some kind of invisible internet ink on that phrase), but thought, as it is just a “2 minute your bike was worth approx £700, here’s a quote on headed paper job”, thought, well, you know.
    For info it’s a effing big crack in a carbon frame, so wouldn’t really take much analysis!
    “This frame is not repairable.
    Value approx £1000.”

That’s all!

bencooper
    Free Member

I think the attitude of AndyRuss and BenCooper is pretty crap. I would do work for people on here for free and have done in the past.

I do work for people for free all the time – the thing is, they’re regulars. And did you miss the bit where I said I refund the cost if I get the business?

If the bike came from me to start with, of course, it’s simple – just find the invoice online, do a copy and paste, job done. If it’s something custom that I didn’t build, it can take up to an hour to dig out prices for all the components (or current equivalents) and price up the build.

mocha
    Free Member

what Ben said…

br
    Free Member

So £15 to get back £1000 – seems fair.

When we had an attempted burglery and they broke the patio doors it was a real pain getting any quotes, esp. the big boys as they knew the insurance company wouldn’t pay that much. In the end I rang the insuracne company back and asked who they dealt with, and the one company they did deal with gave me two quotes on different headed paper…

DrP

Dez – I’ll do it for £20….

DrP

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks mate. Can you just copy and paste what i put ta.

Sancho
    Free Member

It’s quite amusing this forum, on one thread there is bile and revulsion at using an LBS and everyone is a confirmed CRC, Wiggle, ebay customer, the LBS is not needed for anything as everyone can do their own repairs etc etc, but someone goes to a shop and asks for a service and then gets upset that there is a charge for that service, blimey, its just a good job that the attitudes and responses on this forum are not indicative of the majority of cyclists out there isnt it.

DezB
    Free Member

1.So £15 to get back £1000 – seems fair.

2. gets upset that there is a charge for that service

Is there such a thing as “selective reading” or is it just selective comprehension?

Sancho
    Free Member

So why didnt you just get the quote from your LBS and pay £15 rather than come on here saying you dont mind paying, you clearly do mind paying.

DezB
    Free Member

There’s another post you obviously didn’t read explaining that

Sancho
    Free Member

just had a look and you say you dont mind paying, but the reason you started this thread is that you clearly do mind paying. I dont understand why you didnt just pay £15 to your LBS if you dont mind paying.

ziggy
    Free Member

I’ve always charged for quotes, unless they bought the bike from me in the first place.

Sadly we rarely get the business as Wheelies have pretty much become the insurers choice of supply, they offer the biggest discounts basically.

£10 + VAT btw.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bike shop insurance quote’ is closed to new replies.