• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bike shed retro (Kona content)
  • DezB
    Free Member

Bloke at work has started riding his old Explosif in.
    What year’s this then? Components look late 90s to me, apart from the Sugino crank, which is earlier maybe?
    Should I tell him the frame is quite desirable!

soma_rich
    Free Member

I think its a 98 or 99 lovely.

DezB
    Free Member

Hardly used!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Looks very faded and a bit rusty has it been left outside?

DezB
    Free Member

In a shed I think. He said he had to clean the cobwebs off before riding in on Monday.

mefty
    Free Member

I nearly bought an explosif in 1995 or 96, it was green in that year, and I am pretty sure it came with suspension forks, which probably means that this one is earlier than then.

dc11
    Free Member

Similar decals to my Fire Mountain, so i’d say 98.

Drapoon
    Free Member

That’s a re-painted 94/95/96 with 98 decals (possible repro ones)

I’ve had a 92,93,94,95,96,97,98 & 99 Explosif ( a bit of a Kona freak!)

Giveaway it’s not a 98 is the aftermarket v brake cable mount on the top tube

Down tube looks ribbed but can’t really tell from the picture for sure, if the bottom of the seat tube is fluted then that confirms it is an explosif

DezB
    Free Member

I doubt very much it’s been repainted… I’ll check it later.

Full size pic

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

It only appears to be locked to itself and not the bike stand. Do your colleague a favour and give him a quick lesson in bike security.

theflatboy
    Free Member

a guy at my work rides a mid-late 90s trek. mint condition throughout. STX RC hubs, radial spoked front wheel, basically new rock shox indy fork, it’s completely pristine. even down to purple anodised skewers (possibly ringle). i told him that retro lovers would fancy a lot of it but he’s not interested.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I tend to agree with Drapoon the fact it has canti mounts and no V brake stop means it pre 98 but they are 98 decals. Also has an LX headset which would not have been standard so would have been stripped at some time. Might not even be an Explosif….

mattythemod
    Free Member

and its got a club roost stem !

DezB
    Free Member

It only appears to be locked to itself and not the bike stand

Ooh yeah… hmm, I might drive in tomorrow 😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

not a 99, could be a 98 as decals similar to my caldera 98.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, ’98 decals but not a stock ’98 Explosif colour so almost certainly resprayed. Looks like it has a threaded headset too with quill/ahead adaptor so probably ’96 or earlier. Got any clearer pics of the dropouts?

jamj1974

I think pre-’97 as it no v-brake mount and if paint and decals original it is definately post ’95. I cannot remember when Kona went to v-brakes on the Explosive, ’95 was definately normal cantilevers and ’96 may have been also – although I am not sure if ’96 or ’97 went for Magura hydraulic rim brakes…?

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yeah, that’s not a quill stem!
    I’ll go and take some, the non-drive side stays have a little bridge between them that you can’t see in my pic.

DezB
    Free Member

Here we are:
    Fluted seat tube

Dropouts

On close inspection it could well be a respray. The decals don’t look original and are peeling a bit. Were original decals lacquered over?

haggis1978

i have to mirror what a few others have said. definitely not a 98. Dropouts are from ’94/95/96 and no v-brake cable stop. Non original decals and it has an ahead style stem but possibly with a quill adaptor hence the LX headset. If the guy says its an explosif then it might be but i cant see where he would have got a Sugino Impel 500 chainset. The Sugino Impel 500 was found on the AA and Cinder Cone of that year and its obviously not an Aluminium AA so could it be a Cinder Cone?

althepal

Saw this the other day just outside Essen- thought it was just another gas pipe special then had a closer look!

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, lovely RM! That’d be about a 96/97? I’ve probably got the catalogue at home.
    I had a ’99 Instinct (same frame). That blue thing you can see in the background of my first pic is my RM Solo.

theflatboy
    Free Member

haggis, chainset says fuse, not impel.

packer
    Free Member

Any of you Kona experts know what year they first started putting disc brake mounts on their frames?

biker66
    Free Member

I was just going to ask the same question -so, I’ll bump this
    The above question that is. What year did Kona add disc mounts to frames. I’d like to get one to run some 700c discs on.

Kato

2000 i think

Andy

2002 for the explosif

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bike shed retro (Kona content)’ is closed to new replies.