Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • bike shed needed…which one?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’m looking for something secure to put about 3-4 bikes.

like a garden shed

willing to spend about £400

I’ve seen a few metal bike sheds but they are expensive and would they suffer from condensation?

would a wooden shed be secure if all the hinges where bolts through and a secure lock?

anyone got any suggestions?

cheers

dandax1990
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for the wooden shed route, If someone knows there is something valuable in there, they’ll be at it in no time.

If there’s something worth taking, they’ll try their hardest to take it.

A neighbour of mine has a concrete shed with steel plated door, very secure. He went on holiday a few years ago and some tw*ts used a circular saw to cut a hole in the wall to get to his bikes.

drlex
    Free Member

Asgard shed for £450.
    By the time you’ve made a cheap wooden shed secure, you’d have spent as much.

riddoch

You will get probably get a load of suggestion to keep it in the house but I h gave never seen why that’s more secure anyway.
    Probably best bet is fond out what your insurance company is happy with.

sefton
    Free Member

do the metal shed suffer condensation?

sefton
    Free Member

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=200406&pf_id=LS7217D

maybe this and a ground anchor and beefed up hinges

worried a metal box will turn into a sweat box with condensation

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

I have an Asgard shed – fits 4 bikes with a bit of handlebar turnage involved. No probs with condensation, and more importantly, it’s secure and I still have all my bikes.

I paid full whack at £550 and consider it good value

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

genuine question, whats the issue with condensation?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

genuine question, whats the issue with condensation?

Dripping water of the roof onto your bikes…damp, wetness, rust, mould etc etc.

spacemonkey

An Asagard is on my list when we move. Having it in green can only make it less in yer face too.

sefton
    Free Member
    Saccades
    Free Member

Yes metal sheds suffer with condensation – really really badly. Plus £450 will buy a metal shed that’s made out of tinfoil and duckspit.

sefton
    Free Member

I’m going – with something like a beastshed. i’ll cut a hole and put a ground anchor into the flags below it.

wobbem
    Free Member
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve got an Asgard and am very sceptical of how secure it actually is. As the man above says, you need a huge amount of metal to make something that big secure. It has a surface area of around 10m^2 and £450 doesn’t buy very much metal. Therefore it is pretty thin and flexible. I think I could get into one fairly easy with a crowbar, and would bet that someone who steals for a living would make short work of one. The other thing is that the padlocks look deeply weedy. (Anyone got any recommendations for upgraded disc padlock?)

brakes
    Free Member

I like the look of those beast sheds and the prices seem good.

ton

I am looking for a new secure shed for 2 bikes. I have a huge solid steel anchor point concreted into the ground.
    I was going to cut a hole in whatever shed I get, and place the shed over the anchor point.
    the bikes will be secured to the anchors point, and also chained together inside the shed.

good idea?

IHN

I know someone who had bikes nicked out of one of those Asgard sheds.

rickon
    Free Member

I’m looking for something secure to put about 3-4 bikes.

like a garden shed

Mutually exclusive sentences there.

If you get a shed, make sure you’ve got good insurance. And CCTV. Catch the buggers when they steal your bikes.

I say this after many thefts from my shed, and loads of my mates’.

Gribs

I am looking for a new secure shed for 2 bikes. I have a huge solid steel anchor point concreted into the ground.
    I was going to cut a hole in whatever shed I get, and place the shed over the anchor point.
    the bikes will be secured to the anchors point, and also chained together inside the shed.

good idea?

In reality it’s probably a waste of time as a thief will always attack the weakest point and it takes seconds to cut through a frame. Even with a ruined frame all the bits can be stripped off and easily sold on ebay/gumtree 🙁

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have a metal shed for the least expensive bikes, yes it does suffer a bit with condensation, but its well ventilated and none of the bikes have rusted/corroded.
    My only issue is that it has twin sliding doors, and I can’t think of a suitable way to make them secure, as a good boot with a size 10 will knock them off their runners.

sefton
    Free Member

In reality it’s probably a waste of time as a thief will always attack the weakest point and it takes seconds to cut through a frame. Even with a ruined frame all the bits can be stripped off and easily sold on ebay/gumtree

hahaha

ton

reality it’s probably a waste of time as a thief will always attack the weakest point and it takes seconds to cut through a frame. Even with a ruined frame all the bits can be stripped off and easily sold on ebay/gumtree

my mudguarded, racked, flatbarred, deored 24” lht wont be desired by many folk……. 😆

revs1972
    Free Member

Metal locker….inside a wooden shed ?
    Got me thinking now..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That £450 metal box wouldnt fit 4 bikes in it. They also scream out that you have nice bikes, as opposed to a shed that might have a nice bike in it or maybe just a load of junk.

How much are those Beastsheds? That is all stuff you can do after market too, quite cheaply and easily.

Ive altered my shed to be very similar to the beast ones, but also secured the roof to the walls better.

The bikes are now stored in side the shed inside filling cabinets (you can battered old ones on ebay relatively cheaply)

I have a PIR alarm inside too.

Ive 2 attempts on the shed in the last year or so. Once the alarm scared them off, 2nd time they gave up trying to get the door open 🙂

There was a thread on here last week/week before where some one had bought a PIR and the siren could be remotely placed. ie in their bedroom.

Thats the ideal for me. The buggers will get in if they want to but great if you can be alerted without them knowing. When my alarm went off, by the time I had woken up, called the Police they were long gone (empty handed). Would have been great to have known they were there, get the Police, and great them as they walked out with the bikes, or trying to get the bikes..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘bike shed needed…which one?’ is closed to new replies.