• This topic has 73 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chum3.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Bike roof racks V the boot.
  • seavers
    Free Member

I usually chuck it in the boot, seats down. It works fine but the interior has taken quite a few hits so…. as a new to me car arrives soon I’m thinking a roof rack and a Thule 951 might be a good idea. They seem to have good reviews on here.

My question is, if you carry your bike this way do you leave the roof rack and bike carrier on all the time? Having never had this set up before is theft of the rack/carrier something to worry about?

If you have gone from chucking it in the boot to putting it on the roof do you think it’s worth the extra cost?

momo

Definitely worth it for me, I changed cars last year and didn’t want to ruin the interior of the new one. I tend to leave mine on all the time, costs me maybe 1mpg on the economy. The rack itself is fairly secure, although I wouldn’t leave bikes on there unattended for long!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Buy a tarp and keep putting them in the boot. Do you really want to advertise to the locals what’s in your shed while you’re out at work all day.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Bike on rack is advertising “come steal me”

Get an estate or something large enough to put the bike in without damaging stuff.

Seen a real nice bike earlier furnished on the back of a car, turned down a cul-de-sac, can still remember the colour and make of car now, be very easy to go back later and see which house its parked at. Simply not worth showing it off to the world.

philjunior
    Free Member

I still remember the number of insurance quotes for damage due to bikes falling off or hitting height restrictions on racks.

I might get one once the whole family is on bikes, but I value my bikes far far more than my car’s interior (and I’ve never done any harm to anything apart from the carpet/lining in the boot!)

Get a bigger car if needed.

plus-one

I pop mine on and off as needed a 5min job.. I used to leave them on and they quickly look tatty/corrode.. And car looks cleaner without 🙂

seavers
    Free Member

Buy a tarp and keep putting them in the boot. Do you really want to advertise to the locals what’s in your shed while you’re out at work all day.

Yeah that is a down side. And as others say it is a permanent advert for bike thieves. Not the best area round here. Might get some kind of boot protector with high sides instead. Just like the idea of sticking it on the roof and not taking wheels off.

Thanks for the input guys.

seavers
    Free Member

Seen a real nice bike earlier furnished on the back of a car, turned down a cul-de-sac, can still remember the colour and make of car now, be very easy to go back later and see which house its parked at. Simply not worth showing it off to the world.

Very good point, a couple of years ago I had some guys ask how much my bike was worth at a red light. It was on the back of the car at the time. In car it is!

dudeofdoom

I’d go the towbar mounted bikerack way tbh….

Total pita to have to lift a bike up that high and not the greatest for mpg…

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got a roof rack – I love it now. Mainly because I can throw the bike on in seconds and keep the inside clean. Before this, I had a big tarp in the boot which was pretty good. But the rack is definitely easier/quicker.

Downsides:
    As above, if you live in a sketchy area then I wouldn’t want the advertisement.
    The rack whistles at high speeds (70mph+). This is a Thule wingbar edge, supposedly the most aerodynamic.
    I haven’t really noticed a hit in fuel economy – I’d guess it’s less than 3-4 mpg.
    I worry about the bike wobbling on the roof – ie no ‘spirited’ driving.

This is on a hatchback by the way – it’s dead easy to lift bikes on. Maybe it would be more difficult if you owned a 4×4 or had T-Rex arms.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Yep don’t understand putting in the boot
    Can’t imagine not having the rack

pdw
    Free Member

Large cheap tarp to protect the interior works well. I always prefer to put the bike inside the car, but the arrival of kids means the bikes often need to go on the outside. I now use a towbar mount – quicker to get on and off and better for mpg than roof bars.

The 591s can take the paint off your bike where they grip the down tube, so best to stick some helitape on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had a trip with a mates…

We needed to wrap the bike where the clamp fitted to stop it rubbing (carbon frame)
    Tall Car & Short people don’t mix, unless you bring a step
    They wobble
    Low bridges, petrol stations and car parks
    It’s not secure
    advertising the bikes to the world
    Salt spray in winter

We have a tow bar rack and that is as far as I would realistically go. We have low crime, no salt on the roads etc.

Inside makes more sense

Northwind

I lashed out on a slightly more expensive tarp 😉 Heavier weight so doesn’t flop about and make noise like the cheap ones tend to. Depends on your car, though, I can put 2 bikes straight into mine without taking a wheel out so it’s quicker than a roofrack. No fuel economy impact, and cheaper (though, I do own racks, I just never use them)

I’m not sure how much the advertisment to thieves really is- most bike racks you see driving around have 2 kids bikes and a 90s Sarcin on the roof after all, the racks are worth more. Leaving the bike on the racks, now that’s brave- it barely takes longer to steal a bike off a roofrack than it does to just take one that’s leaned against a wall.

stevied
    Free Member

Used to use the boot but for family days away I put the roof bars/carrier on. I just unbolt the rack as 1 piece then put it on hooks on the garage ceiling to keep it out of the way.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I always put the seats down and chuck it in the boot, however no matter how careful I am there are an increasing number of marks on the interior.

I had a rack that fitted nicely on my old Golf, but it just won’t ‘sit’ right on a coupe. Are there specific ones for coupes with a boot?

warns74
    Free Member

Personally wouldnt use a tow bar rack because my bike is XL and wider than the car, so a bit risky through narrow gaps! Been using 591s for 10+ years and never had a problem. Only thing I do is put a small square of helitape on the frame where the clamp touches.

Tend to take the bars/racks off when not in use, but so far noticed only very small difference in fuel economy maybe 5mpg.

br
    Free Member

Definitely worth it for me, I changed cars last year and didn’t want to ruin the interior of the new one. I tend to leave mine on all the time, costs me maybe 1mpg on the economy.

I put 70k on a car over a couple of years, put Thule roof racks on for one of those years’ – car went from 33mpg to 30mpg during that time.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’d always put the bikes inside the car if possible, much more secure, fuel efficient and quieter, plus you don’t need to worry about them falling off or catching barriers etc. I’ve got a roof rack but it lives in the basement so I’d need to go and get it, carry it through the house and wrestle it on to the car by myself, which is going to be an extra 10-15 minutes over wheeling the bike out, dropping the wheels and slinging it in the back on a tarp that’s already in the boot. Leaving the roof rack on the car all the time is a big no for me, looks horrible, makes noise and uses more fuel for the 90% of trips when I don’t have a bike with me.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

only very small difference in fuel economy maybe 5mpg.

That’d be the difference between 21 and 16 in my car 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Thule 591 does not damage frame and is absolutely rock solid.

I only have a bike rack because I have kids though. Boot is preferable – far fewer worries about security especially if your car has deadlocks (most do). So even if a window is smashed, you’d have to pull the bike through the window itself as the doors can’t be opened.

I’m usually using the Passat which is a saloon, so if I am on my own I often put the bike in a bike bag and put it across the back seats. No damage to interior, and the seats can stay up.

nemesis
    Free Member

Interesting thread since I’m about to buy a roof rack for the bikes for holiday as the Mondeo is awkward for a boot rack (and we don’t have a tow ball).

The halfords cheapy bike rack seems to be well rated and at only £20 it seems hard to argue against.

http://www.halfords.com/camping-car-seats/bike-racks-cycle-carriers/bike-racks-cycle-carriers/halfords-value-roof-mount-cycle-carrier

Mind you, the CRUZ ‘Bici-rack’ is even cheaper and seems ok too…
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range.php

What does the nicer Thule one do for me?

molgrips
    Free Member

Bike racks are one of those things where the good ones are really good, and you are continually thankful you’ve bought the good one and aren’t faffing around and making do. However, the good ones are chuffing expensive!

nemesis
    Free Member

Ease of use then? I’m not planning on using mine much so can live with some faff.

mrchrispy

I use the thule roof bars rack that clamps the forks, never been a fan of the other type, wheel gets chucked in a bag and sits in the car. Would never leave them unattended.

Planning on getting a tow bar fitted so we can load the beast up with bikes and a roof box

rone

You tend a go around in circles; I’ve had every combination twice!

Best comb for me is roof rack (wing bar edge + pro 591) – no noise at all, mildly impacts MPG). Car is not tall (Fabia) so easy to put on.

Security: you can say all you want about advertising bikes – I don’t think this much of an issue as there are so many cars with roof racks on it becomes hard to pin down who has and hasn’t bikes in their garage/house. Doesn’t phase me at all. That said stick a big lock on around both bikes on journeys. Last theft attempt I had was in broad day light whilst I sat having a coffee in a park in front of me.

Wobble factor: yes they do wobble and it used to unnerve me but when you realise that the bike is actually being supported by it’s own wheels and providing you’ve put something between the clamp and the down-tube (clean MF cloth) – there is zero issue. Even our two carbon frames; never had a problem. Drive <70 too.

On genuine issue I’ve had is what someone mentioned earlier – sat on the roof the bike racks and particularly the wheel trays are poor quality. I’ve had two snap after frosts. Ought to be made for outdoor use?

andytherocketeer

I don’t even bother with tarp. Just a couple of €2 fleecy blankets. 1 lines the floor just right, and 1 between bikes, or fold an end over between wheels to stop any annoying rattles.
    Usually have an old towel or 2 too.

Low bridges, petrol stations and car parks

carparks, yep
    low bridges – really?
    petrol stations – how tall is that car? and the bike?

windydave13
    Free Member

only very small difference in fuel economy maybe 5mpg.

I went from a normal 53mpg to struggling to get 37 last time i used a roof mounted rack.

From now on bikes take priority. Passengers can take the bus!! 😆

bland

Salt in winter is a big killer, will rust everything up that’s steel.

Personally I use the out of sight out of mind motto and the inside of the car, well I’d rather not worry about it!

philfive
    Free Member

Buy a van 🙂 I have a partner crew cab with 5 seats.
    Perfect for family and throwing bikes in.

cookeaa

If its just me or me and one other then they go in the boot, Inside is best if you can. however if there’s more people and kit to transport then I have a “Strap on” boot rack, which is OK, but leaving it on is obviously an advertisement to the tea leaves…

I tried a roof carrier once, never again, it bolloxed the fuel consumption, and I could definitely feel the effect of cross winds,

That said strap on racks like mine are not at all kind to paintwork, my car is old and shite and I’m not bothered but seeing as the OP has a new motor he wants to keep nice that might not be the best option either…

How would you feel about fitting a towbar to take a proper rack OP?

plyphon
    Free Member

industrial tarp and bubble wrap (the like 1″ round bubble types) are your boot’s friend!

5 seconds just draping the bubblewrap over the entrance to your boot avoids scrapes and dings…tarp protects the inside!

Cost – £pennies – ebay tarp is cheap.

molgrips
    Free Member

I went from a normal 53mpg to struggling to get 37 last time i used a roof mounted rack

I did my first long trip with a bike on the roof and no caravan (the ‘van is the reason I got a roof mounted rack), since I normall use a boot mounted one.

I would have expected 62mpg or so without any rack, I got about 54mpg with my road bike on the roof. I’d have expected about 50-52mpg with the bike on the back, so I think the roof is slightly more economical in my case.

simmy
    Free Member

Defiantly inside for me but I’ve just bought a van so its well easy.

I’ve a 591 on my mums polo which stays on there permently. I used to use it before I got the van but I’d started putting the bike in the car with wheels off anyway.

Its a good roof rack, it’s just I feel better security wise better with the bikes inside, like I said its on mums car just in case I get a problem with the bike she can come and get me.

pdw
    Free Member

Thule 591 does not damage frame

Not my experience. They’ve worn the paint off a couple of my frames.

Northwind

Yeah, all mine are helicopter taped as I’ve seen the damage the grip can cause. But otherwise great.

cubist
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t rely on the built in locks on roof racks
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yu4vEsD9WA[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Whatever you do don’t rely on the built in locks on roof racks

Yeah you’d have to be a pillock to rely on those wussy locks.. and yet people do!

superfli
    Free Member

The usual bull being spouted on here then!

Advertising that you have bikes 😕 Really? If you are that paranoid, then maybe dont cycle from your house either or better still move!
    I’ve never seen paint damage from Thule roof racks. You would probably do more damage continually putting the bike in the car and out.
    Worried about height restrictions at petrol stations+bridges.. well there is the chance at carparks, but thats really something you just have to get used to.
    Pain to put bikes on roof? I’m 5’7-8″ and had an MPV. Even with bike in the middle rack (3 racks) I had no probs. Just stood on the door seal. Takes literally secs.

I’ve had car/roof rack/towbar.
    Quickest was roof rack, slowest was car.
    Roof rack is very very quick to put bikes up and very stable. I’ve been to alps and Galicia (Spain) with them ontop of the car, and absolutely fine. Fuel mpg was affected, especially with 3.
    I now have a towbar mount on our hatchback. Slower to put bikes on, but very stable and doesnt affect fuel too much.
    Inside car, oil marks and scratches and not quicker with 1 bike. Maybe faster than towbar with multiple bikes, but that usually means a trip somewhere and I would need luggage and seating space inside anyway.

Towbar wins for me if you have a new car or a care you dont want to get mucky.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh one more thing – the bikes on the roof were pretty noisy, especially 2-up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Bike roof racks V the boot.’ is closed to new replies.