Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike / Ride on before balance bike?
  • mummy2boys
    Free Member

Which ride-on would you give child who’s too small for balance bike?

My second son will be 1 at Christmas. We have a Hotwalk balance bike but I’m sure the older boy didn’t really “get” it until he was about 3.

I’m looking for something that will bridge the gap between 12 months and getting the balance bike.

Ideas I have are pukylino, chillafish bunzi, toddlebike, or a wooden trike to balance bike thing i spotted on Amazon. I’m also open to other suggestions.

chunkychew
    Free Member

Our little boy had an Early Rider Spherovelo from 12 months. It’s a very cool looking thing, but I think I was more in to it than he was. He used to like pushing it around or turning it upside down and playing with the “wheels”, but never really got that in to riding on it.

longmover
    Free Member

We got my oldest a quad like thing at 1, then a balance bike at 2. It took him a while to get used to the quad, then he became a menace on it.

richardkennerley

I got my daughter a spherovelo off eBay (I wouldn’t pay full whack given the limited amount of use it’s likely to get.) I’ve been pushing her around on it since about 9 months, she loves that, she’s 16 months now. Actually, she’s 17 months today!! She can do it herself a bit, but it’s actually quite difficult for her to push herself as it tips forward, but she tries, quickly gets bored and gets off to push it around like that. It might be more interesting once the stabilizers come off.

firestarter
    Free Member

Mine had a puky before he was big enough for a proper balance bike. He could ride it before he was confidently walking

mummy2boys
    Free Member

Longmover which quad thing did your LO have?

Firestarter there are so many pukys again do you know which one?

grahamt1980

Pukylino for our son, from about 8 months right through to about 20 months (ended up looking like donkey Kong riding it) then he got on his balance bike.
    Still rides the Pukylino now especially in the garden as he gets it going and just rolls

firestarter
    Free Member

I’m presuming looking online it was the lrm. It was the smallest they did

pictonroad

Pukylino for sure, they’re marvellous little things, ours has done our two kids and it’s now on it’s 4th lend. Will keep going round families infinitely I suspect. Perfect timing for the smallest wheel Puky in the spring too.

Love Puky bikes, they’re so good.

OwenP

We’ve got an Y Pewi ride on for our 17 month old.

She likes it, will ride it a bit and enjoys being pushed on it, but it also works as a push along/walker.

We are using that to bridge the gap to a balance bike. Cheaper than some of the other options, too.

gwurk
    Free Member

Scuttlebugs are awesome for pre-12mth olds

(cheap and easy to take anywhere too). my youngest was on one from 9 or 10mths (walking at 10mths) and went straight on to ride a 3 wheel micro-scooter at 12mths then 10″ wheel balance bike and 2 wheel scooters at 15-18mths and pedalling a bike unaided a couple of weeks before her 2nd birthday.
    TBF she loved/loves anything with wheels.
    Some kids do. some don’t. don’t sweat it.

mummy2boys
    Free Member

Thankyou you’ve certainly given me some other options to think about.

Firestarter you wee guy is very cute on his bike!

hot_fiat

Had a scuttlebug for #2. She loved it but has now moved on to a rothan. #1 just wanted to climb on my ktm, which he was remarkably adept at.

Have had a puky trike for a very long time. I reckon both children could pass it on to their children. Beautifully made pieces of kit. Their little balance bike might be the way to go.

TiRed

Galt wooden trike. I had one 50 years ago, my kids had one 20 years ago.

And I know it’s heresy, but I don’t like balance bikes. I taught my kids to ride a 12″ solid wheeled bike with stabilizers. Both could ride without them by their third birthday. I’ve taught dozens of other children too.

Get them a scooter with two wheels, not three, They soon learn to balance.

firestarter
    Free Member

My lad moved from his puky to a ridgeback scoot when big enough then to the little islabike. First time ever on pedals I took him to a field and got him to put his feet on the pedals and pushed him a few yards while telling him to pedal I then let go and he rode off. That was it he was riding. He was also riding an ossett electric trials bike at 4 so he seems pretty natural on two wheels

joemmo
    Free Member

Scuttlebug > Puky LRM > Puky LR > Cnoc14 progression for my son. Took a while to take to pedals as initially it was slower than the balance bike but has now adapted.

Every child is different, there is no one solution. My daughter didn’t like stabilisers or a balance bike but she learned two wheeling on a scooter then went straight to a pedal bike.

Puky’s are indestructible. Just get a second hand one and sell it on when you’re finished with it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike / Ride on before balance bike?’ is closed to new replies.