Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike ride in the peaks for a 7 year old
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon….
    Comming up to the hope valley first week in December with minivader and wondered if there was anything that wouldn’t be too taxing for him. Suggestions for nice routes please, don’t mind driving to get there either.
    Cheers

scaled
    Free Member

Monsal Trail. Loads of pretty countryside, flat, viaducts, tunnels and good food near the end of it.

We did it recently with my 5 year old daughter and she loved it

https://www.strava.com/activities/410210543

Bunnyhop

Second the Monsal trail.
    Minivader will love the tunnels. You ride quite high up in places and get great views.
    Nice cafe’s in both Buxton and Bakewell

Wrap up warmly, take plenty of layers and take a hot drink. I ended up nearly crying once with the wind chill.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Monsal trail is good- flippin’ cold though so wear more than you would normally.

A lap of Ladybower always seemed exciting when I was 7.

scuttler

Lap of Derwent/Howden from Fairholmes is good for a 7 year old – decent distance, relatively sheltered, one short section a push for a kid, mixture of tarmac and track, no cars, good slightly more than halfway picnic spot at Slippery Stones. Go clockwise and if the weather’s bad or they’re not up to the distance you can do a U-shaped route. He/she might even got lo-fived by the weekend warriors.

EDIT – weekend car ban, midweek cars allowed but very few and generally slow moving as the road goes nowhere. No weekend warriors allowed midweek by order of the council.

Esme
    Free Member

You’ll have check out the Broken Road, beneath Mam Tor.

Nice article in that so-called newspaper we don’t approve of. Just google “Jonathan Tye”.

daftvader
    Free Member

Round the reservoirs sounds good as does the monsal trail… Thanks for the suggestions

daftvader
    Free Member

That’s another good shout esme… I’d forgotten about that one

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

+1 lap of Derwent & Howden reservoirs, nice-n-easy bit of up and down, visitors centre ice cream, little museum thing, the dam, picnic benches and nice scenery all in all a pleasant day out with young-ens.

What about Lady Cannings for his first taste of rollers and berms! It can all be rolled at low speed, so supervised it’s doable IMO, what’s the STW consensus?

daftvader
    Free Member

He’s pretty good on the rollers and getting there on the berms… Swinley is just up the road…

nbt

Lady Cannings will be worth a look then, it’s quite enjoyable – only short though so you might get a little bored

There’s a parking spot here

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=427360&Y=383380&A=Y&Z=120

“Trail head” is about here

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=428255&Y=383145&A=Y&Z=120

There’s a gate on the left into the forest, the trail is off the left – you come back up to the gate on a wide track

You can park at the bottom end and ride up to the start, means you don’t finish with a climb

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=429005&Y=383510&A=Y&Z=120

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for that nbt will keep that for if the weather is too bad for one of the others!!!

Garry_Lager

Lap of the reservoirs is a good shout but keep a close eye on the weather. The top end is quite exposed – did this with my two when they were quite young, 5 yo riding and 2yo in the bike seat.

Overcast start turned rainy turned driving wind and rain round slippery stones (where we hid under a bridge for a bit). My daughter cried so much she sort of passed out in the child seat, and my lad soldiered on cycling, tears streaming down his face. I rarely get cold on the bike (well insulated), but I was freezing myself from cycling at 4 mph. So a bit of a shambles! Be lovely on a nice day, though.

daftvader
    Free Member

I’m well used to the weather up there, got family in Hathersage…

muzzle
    Free Member

Lady Cannings is closed until further notice. I assume it’ll be open by first week in December, but best to check before you go.

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up muzzle

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike ride in the peaks for a 7 year old’ is closed to new replies.