• This topic has 38 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Bosh.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Bike related practical jokes, youve performed or had done to you.
  • project
    Free Member

Many years ago when i was an aprentice, a chap i worked with bought a cheap second hand bike, working in a steelworks some of the other chaps decided to fill the frame with iron pellets about the size of small marbles, this increased the weight of the frame quite considerably, and they persuaded the chap the bike was just well made, not a lightweight bike like mine.

Another time, while in college, somebody tied a piece of string onto the inner tube in 2 places about 4 inches apart, then blew up the tyre, when the tyre was on the bit between the strings it looked like a flat, but anywhere else it was fully pumped up,but when ridden it gave an extremely unusual ride, especially on corners.

Have also been told mtbs would never catch on.

qwerty
    Free Member

shoved a mate who was "preparing himself" at the top of a very steep roll down – 👿

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Calling a bike shop and asking them to see if they have the following in stock;

V-brake adaptor for a Lefty fork….

Xylene
    Free Member

My mate wants to borrow one of my old bikes. I agreed, but on the condition he comes to collect it and ride it back himself

He is really unfit and fat. It's 35 miles to his house along the Tyne.

He still hasn't come to collect it yet.

taka
    Free Member

sprayed wd40 on a mates rims (he was using canti's) at the top of the black run at gisburn forest

donsimon
    Free Member

Nothing, 😥 cycling is a very serious business and should not be messed with.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Whilst at university many many years ago a mate of mine rode a Black Russian mountain bike that he had picked up cheap at the local Cycle King shop in Cambridge. It was awful and he never washed it or lubed the chain so after a few months it was a mass of slow moving rust. Coming back from the pub one night I thought it would be a laugh to jam it in the wheelie bin. At about five in the morning I woke up in a panic as I realised the bins were due to be emptied that day and the bike was in such a state that the bin men probably would chuck in their truck. After about fifteen minutes getting it out of the bin (I'd wedged it in there quite tight) I went back to bed and thought nothing of it. Joke averted to avoid serious repercussions, or so I thought.

Later that day my mate came back from lectures covered in cuts and grazes. Apparently his handle bars had come off at a vital moment whilst negotiating a busy junction. I never did have the courage to tell him it was probably my fault as I'd had to manhandle his bike quite roughly and had probably loosened the headset. Oops.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    taka – Member

sprayed wd40 on a mates rims (he was using canti's) at the top of the black run at gisburn forest
    Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

i detect bullshit

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

i detect bullshit

Possibly, but BITD a mate suggested to another club member cleaning road bike rims with WD40, and he did. At least he didn't do it at the top of a steep hill.

BITD my two roommates were feuding, so one used a needle to poke holes in the other's spare tubular tied up under the saddle, the idea being that when he needed it, it wouldn't work.

The cowardly trickster couldn't live with it though, and confessed before the tyre was needed.

That did nothing to end the feud.

andy7t2
    Free Member

nothing major but love to grab my mates brake levers as i ride past them on the uphill section, also had the comical pushing into nettles moments

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That did nothing to end the feud.

Please tell me it was Gary and Joe! 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Funniest recent one was undoing and turning round ventanariders seatpost whilst eh was yacking. Tried to get back on to ride through the big puddle at the gate behind the pub on the way up to whinston lee tor – how we laughed 🙂

taka
    Free Member

ive also had parts of my bike spread round a builders merchants by my mates who thought it would be funny when i went in to get some 3in1 oil

MarkyG82

done the brake grabbing many times 🙂

also funny people saying its only flat at the bottom when walking with a flat.

MarkyG82

also when me my bro worked on a farm we put he bike on top of the barn with a forklift.

he he, twas funny.

qwerty
    Free Member

a mate had a Scalpel with shock at the top of seatstays – great for turning his lockout on & off

shoves into nettles & pulling brakes

tugging hard on CamelBack straps as you pass so the victim can't breathe!

tyre rubbing battles

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Calling a bike shop and asking them to see if they have the following in stock;

V-brake adaptor for a Lefty fork….

No you didn't; it was done to you and you spent ages trying to find one… 😀

Worked in a bike shop. Sticky electronic security tags under the saddle, or worse inside the seatpost was a favourite. Not good when you're in another bike shop trying to steal stuff and the **** alarm goes off. Pushing small ball bearings into handlebars was another. You have to remove the grip to get them out, or they rattle like a bastard. Some are tiny enough to go through the breather holes at the end of the top tube, accessible through the seat tube. Swapping everyone's seatposts and saddles was good fun; many a time someone would ride off without realising. Paid to have an unusual seatpost size.

Most annoying was some **** builders thinking it would be a laugh to push drawing pins through my tyres when my bike was locked up one time. Wondered why they were so polite wishing me a safe trip home, until about 10 mins later. Take them out, and you're going nowhere. Yeah, very funny. Did you wonder why all four tyres on your van were completely flat the next day, did you? With the valve cores removed? Ha! 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

being pushed off into nettles would earn a smack in the mouth from me as would any tampering with my bike.I once smacked in the gob the trainee manager of the supermaket I worked in because he rode my bike round the shop .Well I wouldn't drive his car would I?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

tyre rubbing battles

That can end really badly if you're on the bike behind. I was trying to annoy my brother once doing this and crashed really painfully.

leffeboy

Adding an extra magnet on a friend's front wheel so their speedo read twice the speed they were going. Top speed reports were amusing for a bit

catfood
    Free Member

I used to work in a hotel which had a very long steep drive straight on to the road. There was a bloke who worked there called Bob who decided it would be a great jape to unhook my break cables and try to kill me, luckily I noticed. That night I nipped round to his house, let all the tyres down on his car and stuck a banana up the exhaust, tee hee hee. He came in the next day giving it six nowt, fortunately we managed to see the funny side, well me and everyone else did.

andydicko
    Free Member

Loosening a seat post quick release…….. whilst they are riding

duntstick
    Free Member

I've never popped a rock in a mate's camelback, because that would be wrong………. 8)

tonyg2003

A good friend has a bike shop and years ago had a extremely annoying customer. He was a fair bit over weight but would come in and insist on buying super lightweight parts, then come back and give everyone grief about them breaking. After a while my mate got serioulsy hacked off and stopped selling him parts, but not before the bloke brought his bike in for a service and a 1 foot lenght of lead pipe was left in the seat tube. Must have easily weighed 5lbs.

igm

Avenir tyres are the worst joke ever played on me. They slide on damp tarmac like it was ice. Lethal.

RepackRider
    Free Member

Please tell me it was Gary and Joe!

Gary was the victim, but the perpetrator's name is Chris.

Joe never shared the house with us.

lardman
    Free Member

Cut a hole in a friends inner tubes, and filled them BOTH up with water, then fixed abd returned them to the bike. Just before a long sunday ride. He was suffering after a couple miles, and thought he was not feeling well. As he went to turn around and head back i confessed.

Strangely it was when i lved in San Fransisco, and we were doing a North Marin loop than included the repack.

We bumped into each other many years back Charlie. Top of Mt Tam i think.

4ndyB
    Free Member

I have attached every single reflector in the shop to the boss's bike, along with ball bearings down the bars & wheels full of spokey dokeys & streamers on his bar ends, kinda a Mod equivalent MTB rather than a 'Bretta or Vespa

It took a while, but was worth it to see the look on his face, he thought that once he'd removed all the crap from the bike that was that.

Next morning he spent almost an hour trying to find where that f@!?ing rattling was coming from…

user-removed
    Free Member

The oldest one in the book has worked a few times for me. Slip a four pack into your mate's bag, let him carry them up the nearest big mountain then ask if he'd like a beer. "Would I!!" Take beers out of his bag and watch him trying to stay p1ssed off as he enjoys an ale and takes in the view.

sharki
    Free Member

i've been known to do a rolling stoppy, to back wheel hip kick slam into a puddle…whatever that is…gets people wet though.

Old riding mate of mine has a prosthetic leg, during a winter ride whilst wearing longs, he faked falling off into the undergrowth, one of the group who didn't know he had the fake limb, went to check on him. Up gets Jez with his leg hanging loose and swinging about, the look of horror was apparently priceless.

Riksbar

Had a a seemingly innocent conversation about climbing tunes, that little loop of a song that goes around in your head in time with pedal strokes and breathing on a long climb.

At the start of the next climb gone 'It could be worse, you could be singing "Oh What An Atmosphere" by Russ Abbot' before riding off with a pre selected enjoyable climbing tune in your head.

My riding companions were singing Russ Abbot up every climb at Afan. Someone else even got stung by it a year later after being told about it.

bommer
    Free Member

attached a saturday lad's bmx to the ceiling using roof rack straps and inner tubes. Comes in for it the next day and it's 25 foot up, upside down like spiderman.

We also put 20" wheels on another guy's mountain bike. Got the disks adjusted, got the gears working – was well worth a ride round the carpark

Dibbs
    Free Member

Up gets Jez with his leg hanging loose and swinging about, the look of horror was apparently priceless.

I've seen him fall off and leave his "leg" attached to the SPD 🙄

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Guy I used to work with hid my brand new bike at work, in a cupboard round the back. It had been in the hallway which is not particularly secure. I was just about to call the police when he fessed up.

His most cherished item was a laptop that he was writing a play on and contained his dissertation. He would sit every lunchtime and mess about on it. I took his laptop case removed the wires and replaced thelaptop with a phone directory so it was the right weight and size. Then I showed it to the perpetrator and threw it down the stairs. He screamed like a girl and ran after it. only to discover the replacement.
    Didn't f*** with my stuff again though.

PiknMix
    Free Member

duntstick – Member

I've never popped a rock in a mate's camelback, because that would be wrong……….

Classic trick on Geology field trips,

Its a bit harsh but black paint pen on black grips is rather amusing, It washes off but I started using clear grips to stop this annoying trend of my mates rides 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

rolling stoppy, to back wheel hip kick slam into a puddle…

ha – i did that in a race at Thetford once, targeting a mate – i missed him but absolutely drenched another racer who didn't see the funny side – tickled me the whole race!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

One mate put a few sardines down another mates seat tube at the back end of a holiday. It sort of backfired, as he sold the frame as soon as he got back to the UK, complete with seatpost. I understand the new owner got a bit of a smelly shock….

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

When working a summer season in grenada, one lad got into the habit of nailing the bike guides bike to the floor (tyres off, screw, washer, tubes and wheels back on, tyres pumped back up). Apparently it never stopped being funny….

Bosh
    Free Member

In the days of cantilever breaks swapping front & rear breaks then challenging someone to pull a really long skid was always good fun.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Bike related practical jokes, youve performed or had done to you.’ is closed to new replies.