• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Mog.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike Racks (not the most interesting thread in the world…)
  • Mog
    Free Member

Can I have some opinions on racks please? Just swapped vans for a VW T4 (tailgate) so need a new rack. I have a Cube AMS so the shock’s under the top tube – would this put you off using a ‘top-tube support’ rack? The old one was a fiamma that supported the wheels with gutters – perfect. In an ideal world I’d have a tow bar & rack but a bit pricey at the moment.

What racks would yo recommend?

jfeb
    Free Member

Stupid question but you have a van…can’t the bike go in the van?

I use a roof rack so can’t help with your question though.

Mog
    Free Member

Nope – perfectly sensible question, but it’s just gone off to have an interior fitted and Mrs Mog isn’t too thrilled at the idea of me loading the bikes in and out when it comes back – fair enough I suppose. Wanted to get something soon as the first weekend away in it is the Gore Sportive & Merida Marathon in Llanwrtyd Wells in a couple of weeks.

alexpalacefan

You bought a van and the missus won’t let you put bikes in it??? 😉

A

VanHalen

i have a cheap halfrauds strap on (ooer) that seems to work well when the missus is looking.

not to sure about using it for long journeys so am curious as to what this thread throws up.

ideally i need a permanently tailgate mounted rack.

Mog
    Free Member

alexpalacefan – I know, where is the logic in that. I bought a house too – same rules apply!!

MS
    Free Member

If you can get a towbar, towbar mounted racks are easy to put on and are very secure.

geoffj

What MS said

VanHalen

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/erol.html#3815X0

these bad boys look ok- i think i`ll get one of these. they are out of stock at Just Kampers but a bit cheaper there.

a towbar rack means you cant open the back door. which is crap.

geoffj

a towbar rack means you cant open the back door. which is crap.

Not necessarily, some of the Thule ones fold forward to allow access.

Does not being able to open the back door matter on a van as most have a big sliding door on the side?

Mog
    Free Member

The tow bar option is my preference, but I’ve been quoted £200 to fit the tow bar and then it’s the best part of that again on top for the rack. The Thule racks tilt so I can get into the back, but Mike’s right, we’d only use the side door anyway. The problem is – around £400 for a tow bar & tow bar mounted rack (ideal) or around £120-£150 for a ‘strap-on’ (!), my second choice but probably the one we’ll go for. Anybody have any concerns about using the top tube supported styles for mounting a bike with the shock under the top tube?

grumm
    Free Member

My mate has a Cube AMS and we have put his bike on my Saris Bones RS without problems. If you are really worried about it you could get a false crossbar for it.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_catalogId_10151_storeId_10001_partNumber_249748_langId_-1

Mog
    Free Member

Grumm – that’s what I was after. If your pal’s happy mounting his bioke like that it opens up a few other rack options. A Saris Bones was one I was looking at – are you pleased with it?

grumm
    Free Member

We don’t use a false crossbar – I’m trying to remember how we normally fit it on, I think the arms of the rack go under the forks and the top tube next to the shock.

I have the RS which I think is the most expensive Saris Bones rack – it is very sturdy and you can lock it to the car (though the lock is a bit flimsy), the steel core straps seem very strong. Slightly fiddly getting full suss bikes on but you get the hang of it – I did consider getting some of those false crossbars though.

VanHalen

MIKE – it depends on what you are using it for

on a daily basis ours gets used alot – buggies, general large stuff, shopping etc. if i had to fold out a towbar rack every day it would drive me mad. especially if someone parked too close.

Mog
    Free Member

I think that’s another reason why I’m leaning towards a strap on rack – it can come off again – as we use the van as the second car, left in car parks, supermarket etc… I guess it’d be a bit of a pain having to take a tow bar mounted rack on and off constantly.
    I think I’ll plump for one of the Saris Bones or Fiamma racks that fold up – just wanted to check the shock position wouldn’t be a problem.
    Thanks all – good advice as usual.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike Racks (not the most interesting thread in the world…)’ is closed to new replies.