Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike racks and 4x4s
  • Spud

Those of you with 4x4s how do you carry your bikes, I mean on the outside? The obvious thing is tow bar rack, but not practical if towing. How do you do yours?

mos

pendle do one that you can tow with. Assuming you have a 2 bolt fixing tow ball.

john_l
    Free Member

Used to use one that mounted on the spare wheel on the rear door. Still have it if you're interested.

Spud

Ta, just looking at options for new cars at the moment. The likely contender doesn't have a rear-mounted wheel.

aP
    Free Member

But most SUVs are so big. Is there no room inside?

Spud

If only me and a.n.other then yes. But with two kids and holiday kit etc. It's only seeing what the options are but it might more of a pain than it's worth.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

If it is a SUV & not a 4×4, then roofbars are practical. I've even used Thule roofbars on a Nissan Terrano which isn't the smallest vehicle height wise. I(f you don't want roof mounted, then towbar is the only way to do it, or a strap-on might be an option, but probably the worst choice in terms of safety & security.

Spud

I suppose roof would be an option for the rare occasions when towing and needing bikes could carry a lightweight ladder I guess. I've seen roof mounted bikes on a Disco this summer, so anything must be possible.

rockhopperbike

Hi
    , we have a maxxraxx for 5 bikes on the back of our landcruiser, no probs- although at over a metre long you can feel the "whip" a little on bumps

you can get an adaptor for it to allow you to tow at the same time- pretty good

overall – yup recomended

timwillows
    Free Member

Normally use the roof bars, but the bikes are very high which can make loading / unloading tricky.
    Also got a Avenir rack which mounts on the spare wheel on the back, OK, but not brilliant

Tinc
    Free Member

I have a rear wheel carrier mounted one too, which worked a treat on the Discovery.

I also have a tow bar mounted one that fits in a socket beside the towball that still allows you to tow.

Like this.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike racks and 4x4s’ is closed to new replies.