Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 323 total)
  • Bike Racing Doldrums…
  • Kryton57

Yep. It’s on Sunday afternoon up near Norwich and I just happen to be working there on Monday so the fuel up and back combined with a Sunday night hotel/roast dinner is on company expenses. So even if I feel rough just popping up and riding one slow lap keeps me in the series with two “bye” rounds still spare. Hard not to justify going on that basis.

Based on this weekend though I’m hoping for a speedier recovery over this coming week.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    How is everyone doing?

Awe fan fer askin.

Well I’m back out there, Weds I clicked out 45k’s, Thurs 65k’s, Fri 75k’s, yesterday 45k’s and today… 63k’s. Early part of the week and I was coughing and spluttering like a good un, legs felt fine and happy to take the pressure off my breathing and stomach area.. as the days rolled by my breathing improved over the length of the rides and legs still have lots of power and feeling really good.
    Today, well today was a cracker.. up early and out at 7am, -3C so so frosty and roads covered in black ice meant a good pace for some SHIT’s roll on the flats and field run off lanes where the streams were frozen then hack hard up the hills.. Just as I like it really.
    Pegged back the HR, upped the cadence to get the breathing back then up the hills dropped a few cogs and did a Bertie style training session.
    Such a stunning early morning ride, frozen fields, Ice covered trees and a low hanging milky sun 8) Proper winter Hampshire.

Saw a few lads out too at about 9’ish, totally togged up in what looked like about 15 layers of clothing 😐

Off to London tomorrow for a week, back in the office until Thursday so I’m taking the CX’er up for an early morning Weds ride with a few mates then WFH Fri means the weekend is all mine again and MrsBouy is off to see friends for a week so I’m planning a blokes night(s) in which will include chinese takeaways and whiskey.

Bloody great to be back out on the bike.. 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

bikebouy…

A few hours round the roads of west berks this morning, lovely morning for it here, just beat the rain home. And a nice Sunday roast on the table when I got back too 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

After doing the hard stuff over the winter, I’ve fallen off the wagon this week. Partly apathy by finishing 5th so early in the series behind 4 people who were all two minutes + ahead. Partly priorities as work has changed now and I’ve suddenly got loads to do, including lots of chainsawing that knacker’s me out anyway. Partly illness as I caught the tail end of my 2 year olds cold and partly just lack of motivation. I had my Friel plan and I was steadily hitting less and less of my target hours and fudging my workouts by racing cross or just riding with Weeksy when I should have been doing other stuff so it’s basically all ground to a halt.

I’m an optimist however, so I’m still going to race Southern XC next weekend and will still race Gorrick spring 3 and 4. It’s mainly the thrill of the chase I like so I’m not too worried about where I place.

I’ve got my whole year on a spreadsheet to target some Autumn stuff after that but I may just scrap it and instead: find a weekly race somewhere doing something- then ride as and when I feel like it in the week. Could be five nights, may be none. If it averages at three non-race rides a week, then i’ll do one skills session, one z2 and a mid week TT/Strava buster.

Trekster

Respro may help?
    I use a collection of buff types to cover my mouth/nose when out, coal/wood burners and diesel fumes on cold mornings/nights burm my auld asthmatic lungs. Have only done a few night rides over the winter which seems to have staved off any problems. Doing long, slow rides on my own rather than with “mates” allowing me to go at my pace :-). Seems to be working.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Crosshair, I fell off the wagon a bit when my peak season started. However, after a couple of weeks in the doldrums, I reassessed a little, and made a few changes to my summer goals. Fact is, by training hard and well all winter it’s ok to have few bunk weeks, all those miles don’t dissapear.
    After have a good think, I did a crit this weekend which was fast and dangerous (1234 handicap) and that strangely reignited my fire (I’m such an adrenaline junkie). Summer plan is to do a road race every month or so, then a few crits as sharpeners, before hitting the cross season full pelt. That’ll probably change a bit but it,s good to have a plan.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Racing season is still eight weeks or so away for me. Moved from sweet spot specific period to a more interval based block this week and even managed 80km on the road today, which for me anyway is super early in the year to be outside. Although had a killer headwind for the last hour so I’m utterly busted now.

Yay to no snow!

Had a lovely 120km ride in Gran Canaria last week on a hired Super Six, and felt pretty strong for the 3000+ meters climbing we racked up.

Also almost complete on phase 1 of the MTB weight loss program, so it’s now down to a more respectable 9.2kg 😀

crosshair
    Free Member

@Rollingdoughnut: Cheers for the reply. I guess after a good result at Saddleback but with such a gulf to the four in front, it sort of extinguished the fire that had been lit under me all Winter. It all suddenly seemed a bit pointless! I mean, a midfield battle is a midfield battle so the racing will be no less hard or exciting.
    Then I took my foot off of the gas for two weeks and ran out of legs at Cowthorne getting beat by a few guys I had beaten at Saddleback. Then the next week, I got absolutely annihilated at Tidworth at the last Wessex CX race of the season.
    I suppose I saw where my volume of training placed me in the pack and I sort of thought Meh! As I say, I’m not too worried now. I’ll still turn out and race and then just train when I feel like it.
    Then, it’s eyes forward towards next Autumn and see how serious I want to take it. If I didn’t love XC so much, I would try a bit harder with the Wessex CX league next season as all the races are within an hour and I do love the racing but if it’s anything other than a quagmire- I’m in the last 1/4 of the pack lol.

Would still love to try a crit too……

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Crossy, you are in exactly the same place mentally as I am. You train hard for months and still are not where you wanted to be. So what to do?

Had a good chat with my coach, set some new goals but most importantly readjusted my mind from achieving a destination to enjoying the journey.

let’s face it we’re never going to be elite however hard we try so what’s the point? Personally, I’m happy when I’m improving, so that’s what I’ll keep doing. I’ll train hard, enjoy my racing and pick up my minor victories along the way.

I raced against a bunch of mainly young 2nd/3rd cats this Sat and whilst I can hang with them I’ve had no ace to bring out in the final plays. But as I lay in bed that night reliving some of the amazing cornering we did as a pack, the balletic shimmies I had to pull to avoid being taken out by erratic moves during the hour of actual danger in my otherwise predictable life, and I thought; hell, I’m a bike racer. That’ll do!

mrblobby
    Free Member

But as I lay in bed that night reliving some of the amazing cornering we did as a pack, the balletic shimmies I had to pull to avoid being taken out by erratic moves during the hour of actual danger in my otherwise predictable life, and I thought; hell, I’m a bike racer. That’ll do!

Like that 8)

crosshair
    Free Member

Seeing as you did a lap, got a puncture, switched classes and still won…….singlespeed!!!……then our dilemmas are subtly different 😆

Don’t get me wrong- the feelings I felt at Saddleback as I put in an attack to distance the guy I’d just passed or floored it one final time up the big climb despite bring in the red to make sure the guy closing in didn’t get any closer and finally putting in a negative split with my pacing- were all awesome feelings and worth the winters effort.
    I just can’t justify neglecting other areas of my life to finish 1minute45 behind the leaders rather than 2minutes30 at the moment.

I’ll just turn up and enjoy the craic 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Dreading my first two races next month.
    Was still racing cross in January, but after a year off racing and a bit of illness they weren’t that good.

So XC on the 1st and open road 8th. Not ready for either yet, why I didn’t just wait until may and hit it hard?

Oh God

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Not ridden in a week now but antibiotics finished and I’m feeling much less blurghhhhhhh so should be back on it tomorrow unless it snows then I might fanny out…

First race will probably be the first SXC at Cathkin Braes then the Tweedlove ENDURO the week after, def not looking at any road races yet but a couple of mates are heading to Croft, it’s too damn cold for me! I’m not sure how I’m feeling to be honest, I’ve not done any turbo work and not as many longer hard miles as last year but smashed my best 15-30 second power before hurting my arm 😕

I’m a bike racer. That’ll do!

8)

Gran Canaria last week on a hired Super Six, and felt pretty strong for the 3000+ meters climbing we racked up.

Show off!! I really need that in my life to get away from the kids bugs!

TiRed

Raced the Imperial Winter Series to mid-pack mediocraty. Nine races so far this season and a median position of 19th. Surrey League starts next Saturday, vets at Cyclopark then Hillingdon Tuesdays. Feeling stronger than last season and doing more in the races.

If you are a 4th cat and want to raceSurrey League this season then you will need to complete two coaching sessions. I’ve been coaching these at Hillingdon and Cyclopark.

julzm
    Free Member

On the asthma thing, +1 for riding with a buff over your mouth on prolonged climbs. It does make a difference if you’re not drawing very cold air into your lungs which can make the tiny bronchioles (sic?) start to close up.

After reading a thread on here, and coming back from lake Garda last summer with the first of two chest infections that wouldn’t shift (steroids and two different lots of antibiotics), I pressed the docs for montelukast tablets. I cannot explain the difference this has made. I have not used my inhaler for last five months….going from having had to use it on all prolonged climbs.

Asthma nurse also recommended using the inhaler before the start of a ride as it sets the lungs up correctly before putting them under load. I don’t do this anymore because it’s under control but it did make a difference when I did.

It does take quite a bit of time to sort out asthma when it’s first diagnosed as different things work for different people. For most people, asthma symptoms are just excessive coughing triggered by something. Only issue I still get is short coughing fit after I’ve finished riding and walking into cafe or bike shop where there is a temp change.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How you all doing? Out of the doldrums?

Winter training been a bit of a test of faith here. Also had fair share of coughs and colds. Despite all that things slowly seem to be falling into place. Training going well. Weight is good. The sun is shining once more. First race next week 🙂

Btw, anyone heard from crosshair? Not seen him on here or strava for a month or so.

Kryton57

Better for me now. I’ve come to terms with where I and am setting PB’s all over the place so am definately stronger/faster. Early XC racing has gone well in the overall context, road riding is stronger, climbs PB’s and wattage outputs are being exceeded.

I’m using April (as its a gap in the race diary for me) to get miles in at the weekends, rather pleased with a 29.9kmph average over 112k at the weekend – and being asked by my club members to ease of the pace on some false flats after I got my elbows down and pushed out a pace -and I have HONC this Sunday. I return to Crits in May with the Beastway mid week XC series starting in the middle of he month also.

I’m going for a proper Asthma / lung function test at the end of he month as I still get an irritated windpipe / slight cough during and after rides.

I’ll be knocking out billat intervals at 7am tomorrow on the Turbo!

Good luck in the race MrBlobby.

njee20
    Free Member

Well in the doldrums here! Well I’m not, I don’t care, but I’m shit.

Went to the first Southern XC on the back of a cold, rode round at the back. Went to Sherwood, felt strong, was excited. Then it rained. Chain was skipping everywhere, I was riding like a mong, another dire result.

Can’t do this Southern, will do the others, may do another national, see how it goes! I’m enjoying myself anyway.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Kryton, it’s just a local 10 on a fairly slow course but it’ll be good to be racing again. First crit at Thruxton the week after 🙂

I’ll be knocking out billat intervals at 7am tomorrow on the Turbo!

Think that would make me vom!

Went to Sherwood, felt strong, was excited. Then it rained. Chain was skipping everywhere, I was riding like a mong, another dire result.

At least it made for an amusing race report 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Btw, anyone heard from crosshair? Not seen him on here or strava for a month or so.

not posted on his MTBR thread since 8/2/15

njee20
    Free Member

Weird. What’s his real name? Nick something isn’t it?

Edit: no, Andrew, my bad.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah I posted something on his Strava feed and got a response. Been busy with other hobbies keeping him off the bike. Temporarily lost interest in bike racing. Mystery solved!

oldgit
    Free Member

Feeling good now. Road race went well, got another next week but don’t start in earnest until May.
    Caarying weight which seems great on the flatter stuff, so no rush to loose it. Being careful not to put my best efforts into training.
    Racing in Belgium this summer, seems to suit me.

adsh
    Free Member

Last really hard weeks training. Might be knocking on 1,000TSS for the week. FTP etc all gone way better than planned but absolutely dreading the pain to come. Trying to get onto XC courses whenever possible and off to Porridgepot tomorrow to see if I can knock out some laps of last years Kawasaki 100. Done enough off road miles that I’m sore and taking the Spearfish for inagural ride.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

1000TSS, is that just cycling? (I ask as running gives a higher TSS per time spent training), that’s a lot of training.

adsh
    Free Member

Yes just cycling. Was on a 7day TSS of 940 yesterday but dropped a session for fear of not being able to train off road today. I enjoy long XC rides which seem to ramp up TSS a lot more than intervals. Rest week next week so want to end this 3 week block feeling wrecked.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That’s 200 more than my 7 day Sufferfest tour earlier this year! Nice 8)

Kudos to listening to your body!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Top effort there adsh. Been hovering around the 600 mark here, much more than that and mrs blobby starts to complain!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I continue to go from strength to strength. Piling the miles and sprinting the climbs. Gotten over my surgery good and proper and only change I’ve made to my plan is to eat and drink more during training.
    I suffered with very sore legs last week and put it down to running out of glycogen in my leg muscles (thighs) which was damn sore for 3/4 days.. So ive upped the munchies, 😆 and today’s ride from East London (Docklands) to the Hamble saw me hit and take loads of PB’s and a couple of KOMs (2015) along the way.

Suitably shattered now and tomorrow will be a short recovery ride then Sunday will be Sofa only whilst blobbing out to Paris – Roubaix.

Next week will be Hills again in and around Harrogate/North Yorkshire in preparation for Raphas 3 Days of Yorkshire route.

Gotta love riding out 8)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well nice to get the first race of the year out the way, even if it was just a club 10. Predictably went off way too fast and suffered a bit after the turn on a lumpy course into a headwind. Tend to forget how unpleasant testing can be 😕 Still, good training and a course PB, even if the numbers were a bit disappointing. Early days.

schmiken

Raced for the first proper race this year on Sunday – started brilliantly but ended up finishing 24th, so a bit annoyed with that. A 72 mile road ride a couple of days before probably didn’t help to be fair.
    Having a look through results I would have finished 7th(ish) in Sport so not too upset. Still got the rest of the season to go yet!

TiRed

Laid up. Literally! Chest drain out later today, home tomorrow, recovery turbo at the weekend. Have had some reasonable form and been enjoying the coaching too.

Weds evening is vets night at hillingdon. Races are every fortnight and the first was last night. It was tough to gaze over west london knowing what I was missing

Every Tues there is a 3/4 race for fun not points put on by BC West Thames. Again highly recommended. I’ll race these instead of the E123 for recovery.

And on another note, as Richie would say…

Godd’im!

Driver has been arrested and out on police bail 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Driver has been arrested and out on police bail

Bloody brilliant news! Leaving the scene is a big deal.

Any idea when you might be back racing again?

been enjoying the coaching too.

First ever crit next week, in with the 3/4 at thruxton… any tips? 🙂

canny1
    Free Member

Weds Vets at Hillingdon didn’t happen last night
    Pre race a cycling member of the public crashed into the organisers car.
    By the time the police/ambulance etc had sorted it, too late to race and no refunds apparently!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Bloody hell TiRed!! When did this happen? Hope you get better very quickly as that sucks!

Edit – Just seen the thread! FFS!!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That sucks TiRed. Healing vibes to you.

First race next weekend…..

Kryton57

Well, I had a COPD (asthma) test today. Although I dot have standard asthma, I do have “exercise induced asthma) which basically means use of an inhaler before crits and also during long ride. Self inflicted by not resting 100% during the two chest infections I had. I also have been told to get the flu jab.

I’ve been given a strict warning not to cylce / train during chest infections.

TiRed

You are in good company. Most professional athletes have a TUE for salbutamol for EIA.

I’ve been given a strict warning not to cycle / train during chest infections.

And that goes for everyone too. Hard as it seems, you won’ exercise yourself better, ad my consultant told me!

Gentle turbo work from this week. Return to racing mid-season (hopefully), shoulder and wrist pending.

Kryton57

shoulder and wrist pending.

Eh, have I missed something? Whats happened?

schmiken

Midlands XC on Sunday. Let’s see how it all goes at the new venue 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 323 total)

The topic ‘Bike Racing Doldrums…’ is closed to new replies.