Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Bike positioning on the road
  • hedml
    Free Member

On my way home from work there is a section where it is a single lane for ‘normal’ traffic and then a bus lane to the left.
    I have tried riding both on the right hand side (closest to the right hand kerb/central reservation of sorts) and on the left of the normal lane, so Im in between the bus lane and the normal lane. Which is right as I have annoyed drivers doing both. I have tried to find it on the Highways Agency website but no joy really.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Am I missing something? Why not use the bus land? Where about in the country are you?

flip
    Free Member

On the left of the normal lane IMHO 😉

There is a section of this where i live and i do as above, **** em if i’m wrong..

thomthumb
    Free Member

i might be stupid but i dont understand what your road looks like…

mrmo
    Free Member

my experience o what i think your talking about means ride in the bus lane.

hedml
    Free Member

The bus lane peels off after a while and thats not the way I need to go so I cant ride in that.

Im not sure how to describe what it looks like any better really!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

google earth pic?

Onzadog
    Free Member

In that case, assuming the running lane is three metres wide or less, it doesn’t matter where you put yourself as no one can get past. However, I normally ride one third or two thirds out depending on how much I need to dominate the road space. I never ride in the sump line in the middle.

hels
    Free Member

In Edinburgh drivers ignore the bus lane signs, so if in Edinburgh bus lane every time to avoid undertakers (both types), then slow early and well reccied and indicated move across to normal lane if required.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

centre of the bus lane until it peels off when you signal right and pull into the centre of the only remaining lane

You will always pee car drivers off just by being there so ride where its safest for you. Control the road, only leave space for the cars to pass when there is space for them to do so safely.

find it on google tho so we can see

druidh
    Free Member

Seems to me like you should be in the bus lane if you can and then cut into the other lane when appropriate. When in that lane, you should aim to be in the same position as the passenger of a car. If the lane is wide enough for a car to overtake you safely, then you may want to be a bit closer to the kerb to let them past. If it is to narrow fr a safe overtake, then maintain position as above and let them wait until it is safe.

If the lane carries on too narrow for a long distance (or maybe up a steep hill), then it might be appropriate to pull over for a few seconds to let the following vehicle past you safely,.

druidh
    Free Member

STW double posting error!

hels
    Free Member

P.S should add there is never an exactly “always do this” rule, you make an assessment of the road and conditions and do what is safest for you each time. Put yourself where you will be seen and all that.

hedml
    Free Member

Oh, it did..!

druidh
    Free Member

Bus lane until approaching the Toyota dealer, indicate right, pull into lane and “own it”.

STATO
    Free Member

I think thats pretty obvious, you should be in the bus lane (your link even shows the sign saying a cycle is allowed in it), when that ends what actually happens is the lanes effectively merge and go straight on, with a turn off left. So youd start in the left of the bus lane, and carry straight on (watching for cars that might try and turn left across you) and stay in the remaining single lane (keeping to the left, there is plenty of room)

Smarty
    Free Member

Middle of the bus lane, watch for some prick turning left where the bus lane runs out. A bit of what TJ says too.

STATO
    Free Member

Oh, and before all that, buy a highway code. They are not just for drivers!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Having had a look at that as Druidh or I said. Centre of the bus land then hoild that line as the bus lane ends

At teh end of the bus lane the car drivers should give you priority but will not so at that point you need to claim your space in teh road and hold it ( signalling as Druidh says)

It looks just about wide enough for a car to pass safely so maybe a metre or so from the kerb

TheBrick
    Free Member

druidhs method sounds pretty good to me.

Always give yourself room to manoeuvre e.t.c. You will always annoy some people because some people believe they should never have their flow interrupted by a bike. Other cars, junctions, slow lorries they don’t like but accept, a bike is the straw that breaks the camels back. War on motorist e.t.c lol, ROTFL, HTFU, HTH e.t.c

STATO
    Free Member

Middle of the bus lane, watch for some prick turning left where the bus lane runs out. A bit of what TJ says too.

There is no need to be in the middle of the bus lane, fair enough take half of it, but that lane is also used by motorbikes (and other cyclists for that matter). Cars/busses/irate-taxi’s cant get past safely but no point blocking everybody.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What i’d do there would be ride down the middle of the bus lane, then towards the end of the bus lane i’d move across to t he right of the bus lane to make sure than nobody could think that i’d be turning off then i’d ride down the middle of the remaining lane.

Kahurangi

TJ and druidh are right, at least until druidh said to “own it”.

Bus lane, indicate right with plenty of time and move over to the normal lane when there is a gap and it is safe. If there is no gap because traffic is heavy, then you should be able to move across the bus lane, provided it is clear, and then very gradually over until you have a presence in the ‘normal’ lane.

However IMO that road is easily wide enough that you should ride about 1m away form the kerb and there is lots of space for a car to overtake.

/edit – I agree that you need to take an appropriate presence on the road but by “own it” I infer that druidh is advising you to “take the lane” and not allow space for traffic to pass, which given the width of the road I think is unnecessary.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Motorbikes should not be in the bus lane

It is too narrow for a taxi to get safely past you unless you make ’em overtake properly by going into the outside lane

Centre of the lane is right

crazy-legs

There’s a similar lane on my commute and I need to make a right turn mid-way along it. It’s a climb so I need to be in the bus lane so as not to slow everyone down then when it’s coming up to my turn I look over my shoulder, make eye contact with the driver and move out. The road is too steep for me to ride and indicate so I’ve just got to be assertive – most drivers can guess what you’re up to.

In your example it’s as druidh and TJ say – along the bus lane then indicate right when necessary, claim your road space.

druidh
    Free Member

A close look at the map shoes that there is also a cycle lane going under the railway bridge.

And to Jon Taylor – IMO, that lane is NOT wide enough for a car to pass a cyclist safely without encroaching into the on-coming traffic.

bigjim

In Edinburgh drivers ignore the bus lane signs, so if in Edinburgh bus lane every time to avoid undertakers (both types), then slow early and well reccied and indicated move across to normal lane if required.

This makes my blood boil, a few weeks ago I saw an Audi (surprise) hammering up the bus lane on lothian road and coming right up behind a group of cycle commuters, honking on the horn and revving the engine. It was a red light anyway so he wasn’t going to be going anywhere, honestly I’ve never been so close to opening a car door and losing it on someone, luckily I was on foot and didn’t get there during the red light. And I blame the moron who parked in a green lane for a bad crash I had last year – if they hadn’t have blocked it I wouldn’t have had to join the main traffic and ‘interface’ with a 4×4 a few metres later.

Sadly I still think seperation of cars and riders is the only way forward. Anyway i digress…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh bus lanes – you must remember that some are peak hours only and some are all day – check the signs

hedml
    Free Member

A close look at the map shoes that there is also a cycle lane going under the railway bridge.

There is but I then go right at the next lights just after the bridge.

Having looked at it when not surrounded by cars and in the dark it does seem a lot simpler that I thought, I was under the impression that the bus lane continued round the corner, not ending as it does before the corner.

druidh
    Free Member

hedml – Member
    There is but I then go right at the next lights just after the bridge.

In that case, as I first suggested. You want to pull over before the bus lane peels off then make sure you are far enough out that no one tries to squeeze past you before you attempt your right turn. It’s a very short distance and you’ll not exactly be holding any one up for any time.

STATO
    Free Member

Well that may be your opinion but in this particular case the sign (see it on the left when you first get to google streetview) says they are allowed in the bus lane.

You are right that there is not enough room for a taxi or bus to overtake a cyclists in the bus lane but there is plenty for a motorcycle or other cyclist (lets not all assume we are the only or fastest cyclists out there) so taking half the bus lane is fair (IMO)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Didn’t spot that Stato – I thought it was only Bristol motorbikes were allowed in bus lanes. However the middle is still the correct place to be – moving a bit to the left if a motorbike is in the lane and wanting past

do not give a taxi the idea he can squeeze past

Junkyard
    Free Member

the blue sign shows a bus a motornike and cycle in the lane
    What TJ druidh say is correct. In general always do what is safest for you when the car driver behind gets annoyed rejoice in the knowledge you just stopped an impatient fool from doing something potentially dangerous …most people will accept a modicum of delay without aggro IME.

STATO
    Free Member

Every bus lane is different IME, round here some are bus only (no bike!), some are 7-7 only, some allow taxi’s, some dont even have a bus route run along them anymore!

Like i said, people need to brush up on highway code if they havnt read one (suprising how many cyclists havnt read one ever never mind how long ago drivers did). They dont tell you everything but they give you a good idea.

Trekster
    Kahurangi

And to Jon Taylor – IMO, that lane is NOT wide enough for a car to pass a cyclist safely without encroaching into the on-coming traffic.

Having a further looks means I agree with you 100%

having a look from here and looking at the silver car, the road looks wider than it actually is.

Looking from here and looking further up the road, the road is narrower than I initially thought.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Bike positioning on the road’ is closed to new replies.