Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • bike polo on fixies?
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

It has been suggested we have bike polo at the Big Bike Bash and I have agreed. Now I need to know what it is. Anyone played this? Anyone know the rules? Anyone want to make some up for me?
    Cheers

thomthumb
    Free Member

ooooh, that sounds ace.

I will have to bring my fixed wheel as well as my mtb now!! 😀

found this

http://www.bicyclepolo.org/bprules.html

looks complicated!!

ALSO you will need mallets?

darrell
    Free Member

go to Urban Velo website and download some of their magazines….

looks great fun

and you can make your own mallets or buy expensive ones from Fixie Inc

StirlingCrispin

Excellent fun!

Stirling Bike Club used to play this regularly until we all grew up.

Kenny at Johnstone Wheelers is Scotland's bikepolo guru and will probably bring down a van full of players (and gear) at the merest sniff of a game. We even had a guy fly all the way from Arizona to play with us – and one of the kids got to represent Scotland in an international tournament!

Kit:
    Grass field.
    Goalposts from jumpers.
    Ball from Tesco's/petrol station (one of those promo things they give away during world cups)
    Mallets from Kenny / some place in Pakistan.
    Bikes with cut-down handlebars from recycling centre
    (we didn't use fixies but the keenies use custom-built fixies)
    Lots of spare front wheels.

Rules:
    Mallets must be held in the right-hand.
    No sharp bits on the bikes.
    Brakes are optional

Enjoy!

sas
    Free Member

What kind of bike polo- grass or hardcourt (tarmac)? If it's grass theres loads of rules about priority, passing etc, the hardcourt version is a bit simpler:
    * Can't put your foot down (or you have to tap a "penalty spot" on the edge of the middle of the court)
    * Only score by hitting the ball with the small end of the mallet
    * Don't be a dick (riding at full speed into someone is generally a bad idea)

Though if you've never played before there's nothing to stop you playing hardcourt rules on grass so it hurts less when you fall off. Any bike will do, doesn't have to be fixed, goals can be traffic cones or whatever comes to hand.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

I can help you with the rules and what you will need, played for 10 years but not any more. Drom me a message to warrenpfoatgmaildotcom.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

It will be played on a hard surface – a couple of Tennis courts I think. We can probably come up with sonme of the gear but if you can bring stuff then great. Not sure how 'formal' it will be though.

I will let the bloke who suggested it know that it is on.

Cheers guys

yossarian
    Free Member

don't forget 'its a knockout' style outfits for the teams

BigGraham
    Free Member

these boy's are probably your closest bunch of polo player's Bournemouth Fixed Gear (not a member myself but a few mates who are!) think they do it most sundays if you wanted to go have a taster!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Graham – I think they are the ones who suggested it

toppers3933
    Free Member

check out http://www.lfgss.com
    think there will be plenty of stuff on there. its fixed gear hipster central.

MrAgreeable

You don't need fixed gear bikes to play polo. The main things are they they should be tough, low geared and have a half decent brake that you can operate with your free hand – so most fixies aren't very suitable at all really.

The surprise "secret weapon" in our games is a Dahon folder belonging to an office bike pool – it accelerates like lightning, turns on a tuppence and no-one cares if it gets crashed a bit.

BigGraham
    Free Member

Ah that'd make sense I guess! only been to one session myself and can't ride fixed to save my life but I'm sure Mark/Wazza/Joe could lend a hand getting it sorted for ya (mail me if you need numbers)

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Right then. Hard court surface and no limitation on bike types. That's the rules sorted now buy your BBB tickets and it will be one of the 30ish events run that weekend

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘bike polo on fixies?’ is closed to new replies.