Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike parts to be affordable again…..?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Slowly but surely it looks like the £ is no longer the red headed step-child (apologies to the Weasley family) of the foreign exchange markets.

GBP/USD back to 1.66 yesterday…..hope Shimano are paying attention when they next fix prices. I dont have £430 for an XTR chainset.

dan1980
    Free Member

I doubt it, they’ll see at least some people are still willing to pay the silly high prices, and just keep them up there 🙁

mt
    Free Member

Why not buy a Middleburn RS8, beautiful and made in Britain. Gram for £ a winner, add a Royce bottom bracket and your still cheaper than the big S.

Epic
    Free Member

Agree with MT in some respects. Good time to buy British, though there aren’t that many Brit’s left in the game 🙁

I work in a roadie bike shop and you wouldn’t believe the number of times we have to reprice on fresh orders. Suppliers prices have changed almost fortnightly recently because of the Euro. It’s almost a full time job keeping an eye on it all with the amount we turn over.

McBoo, I wouldn’t hold your breath for price de-creases. Reality is we had it quite cheap in the UK for too long. Rumour is SRAM Group are going to try and be more competitive against their competitors for 2010 though, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Epic

trailmonkey

Pricees are already coming down. Look at the price of RS forks. 09 Revs were £500, now they’re around £300-350 if you shop around.

mcboo
    Free Member

Good point and already long RS8 cranks. Reached for XTR group as the most obviously outrageous price hike of 2009.

Agreed always a way, Merlin been working hard at finding kit at good prices. I think the Taiwanese $ is pegged to the USD so here’s hoping.

turnip
    Free Member

just remember most of the big companies bought their dollars 12 months in advance or have pegged it at a level for 12 months through a broker.

Just beacuse the rate is better right now dont expect to see changes for 6-8 months, in the same way prices went up 6-8 months after the GBP went tits up.

oh and the dollar is falling again, 1.62 (more like 1.57 real trade rates)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike parts to be affordable again…..?’ is closed to new replies.