Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Bike Park Wales Or Antur Stiniog Or?
  • eb2429
    Free Member

Hi

Booked a week in mid Wales in July and want to try out a variety of MTB places with the better half.
    Apart from normal trails like Elan valley/Nant yr Arian, I am thinking about booking a uplift bike park (week day) like Antur Stiniog or Bike Park Wales just to try out a different experience.
    I have read a few things on here and trip advisor that isn’t entirely complimentary about BPW due to staff, uplifts food etc, and yet nothing bad about AS, but AS looks pretty full on, while BPW has some normal trails.

Any pointer to new information to change this view? Was BPW overcome by volume of people and now better? Or is AS the place to try?

BTW we haven’t got DH rigs or full face helmets, just 2017 150mm travel HT with modern geometry.

Any help much appreciated

chiefgrooveguru

They’re both brilliant but Antur is pretty brutal on a hardtail. I definitely wouldn’t ride Antur without a full-face and considering the low cost compared to much bike kit I’d highly recommend wearing one at BPW too.

chakaping
    Free Member

BPW or Forest of Dean would be my recommendations for a first uplift experience on hardtails.

Make your own minds up about BPW, I doubt you’ll recognise most of the complaints you see on here. The trails are fun, the uplifts work pretty well and you can always take a packed lunch if you’re anxious about the food.

nickjb
    Free Member

Reads like you have it spot on. Bpw has more and easier trails, AS is techies but better run. Bpw is the better place for less experienced riders just go for the great trails and not expecting too much from the facilities

nickc

There are trails at Antur that you can happily* do on a hard tail, the uplift turn-around is fast, the place is compact (car park right next to loos and cafe) and the cafe is basic but big portions and all is v friendly and happy.

BPW is busy, buzzing and the cafe can get busy at times (which is why, I think the staff there can be a little short) the food again is basic fare, substantial (sometimes too much) but still OK. the trails are much more varied, and cater for a wider range of riders and skills.

Neither, (i would argue) are places for absolutes beginners, or people who are unsure of their skills, or commitment.

*YMMV etc etc, the thing with Antur is that every trail has “features” rock gardens, drops, ramps etc. They are all roll-able, but you still need a bit of “go” y’know?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I found AS more challenging than BPW, but it’s a great venue. It’s more of a DH Venue. I’ve only been in glorious sunshine and no wind, which I was told by pretty much everyone who worked there – is a rare thing.

BPW is much bigger, has more trails and was designed from the outset as a place to ride trail bikes, it’s got some big nasty scary trails, but there’s something for everyone.

Food at either isn’t amazing, but it’s more than edible – if you’re into nice Cafe’s I’d recommend either FOD TC or Llandegla

I’ve never understood the ‘staff issue’ at BPW, no they don’t always ‘great with a grin’ but that’s not very Merthyr really. I think the drivers especially are great value, but I see the reaction they get sometimes from people who aren’t local isn’t always positive, I suspect if you’re not in tune with local humour being “Oi’d” and instructed who to properly strap on your bike might not seem as friendly as it was intended ha ha. The Staff at AS are properly nice though.

You’d have a good day at either place, but consider the distance – you say “Wales” like it’s a town, AS and BPW are a 3 hour drive apart.

honourablegeorge

P-Jay – Member
    I found AS more challenging than BPW, but it’s a great venue. It’s more of a DH Venue. I’ve only been in glorious sunshine and no wind, which I was told by pretty much everyone who worked there – is a rare thing.

They’re not wrong, I was there when a proper storm blew in, was strong enough that I had to pedal against it to get down the red. Had to give in after a handful of runs.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Never been to AS but bpw has a good selection of trails. Staff were good ime too.

Only issue I had was that all the uplift busses had lunch at the same time which causes a rush at the café and the busses. Poor idea there, staggering lunch would make it easier on staff and customers. May have changed though as it was over a year ago.

mark90
    Free Member

I think the drivers especially are great value, but I see the reaction they get sometimes from people who aren’t local isn’t always positive, I suspect if you’re not in tune with local humour being “Oi’d” and instructed who to properly strap on your bike might not seem as friendly as it was intended

A bit of banter with the drivers adds to the day’s entertainment. They are not being caring if they ask how your arms are 😉

Edit: BPW drives take lunch at 1pm in thew week and stagger it at weekends when there are more of them on. As they are getting more drivers and buses mid week too now staggering mid week would make sense.

bullroar
    Free Member

Ridden both places on a hardtail and had a good day out at each. From what you describe I’d suggest BPW for a more varied and probably enjoyable riding day. Just stay within your limits.

Personally I’ve never had a problem with BPW staff, I largely ignore the cafe/shop as far as possible. I don’t find it particularly welcoming but then I’m there to ride so just get on with that.

Never really had a problem with the uplift even when on the “pay as go” option. The drivers are always helpful, friendly and keep things ticking along nicely.

AlexSimon

BPW was leagues better than AS for me.
    Much more variety, fun and flow.
    Antur was good, but pretty brutal and you have to repeat the same tracks a few times to fill a day. Still enjoyed it and it’s much closer for me, but I wouldn’t be excited about returning, like I would BPW.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Both great – Antur is defo more hardcore/DH based though – I was *very* grateful of my big old Scott Voltage tank when I rode there.

Staff are measurably friendlier at AS than BPW (no idea why but, bike shop in particular, they were a grumpy bunch of sods) but BPW’s trails will be more of a hoot on Hardtails IMHO.

daddyoe
    Free Member

Go for BPW, if you’ve not done many days between you it will hopefully keep you in one piece and end with a smile on your face.

julians
    Free Member

BPW trails are longer and more varied and suit a wider range of abilities than antur stiniog.

Antur is generally on the more technical side (even the blue), and is very rocky.

I’d wear a full face helmet and pads for both venues.

I live 2 hours from Antur and 4 hours from BPW, as a consequence I’ve been to BPW once and Antur quite a few times, however if the travel time was equal I’d probably mainly go to BPW.

Klunk
    Free Member

They’re both brilliant but Antur is pretty brutal on a hardtail.

the blues and reds are fine at Antur on a hardtail, this from a 53 yo mincer. You’ll need a fullface for the blacks (mandatory) at antur, but for the others theres nothing you wouldn’t find at CYB or penmachno.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Unless you want to put the other half off mtbing for life, stay away from AS. BPW is a no-brainer, as is a FFer.

julians
    Free Member

but for the others theres nothing you wouldn’t find at CYB or penmachno.

I’d disagree with this hugely, AS blue and red are way more difficult than anything at coed ybrenin et al.

I rode coed ybrenin on Sunday and Antur stiniog the next day. AS is way harder . I’ve ridden at AS a few times and the first run down always surprises me with just how difficult/rough/technical/high consequence it is compared to other places.

I may be a mincer, so your mileage may vary, but thats my take on it.

Unless you want to put the other half off mtbing for life, stay away from AS

Agree – if the other half is not fairly confident I’d avoid AS.

eb2429
    Free Member

Thanks all

As I thought, you can have a good day and a bad day with ppl anywhere and we aren’t expecting 5 star welcome, thats not our thing. I think BPW will be the more open to my wife riding the green and blues for a day. I will go for blue and a couple of non “+” reds to keep me going. Maybe Antur next time

I guess a Monday in mid July will at least be reasonably quiet-ish? Its not school hols so better than a weekend.

BTW do many women go to these places or is it mostly a man thing?

Klunk
    Free Member

the wife rode antur blue and red back in september, she loved it even though it was very wet and she was the only women and old enough most the others riders mother and with her plated collar bone 🙂

eb2429
    Free Member

Thanks

I don’t want to put her off for life, so will try BPW stay away from the shop/cafe unless essential and have a fun day!

chiefgrooveguru

the blues and reds are fine at Antur on a hardtail, this from a 53 yo mincer.

My fingers hurt for three months after a day at Antur on my Cotic Soul. Maybe it was the Fox 32s to blame, as I think my Zero AM with Pikes would fare a lot better. It was fun but better on my Spitfire, from a younger and maybe faster rider’s perspective.

Loads of women riding at BPW, more than I’ve seen anywhere else, and all abilities.

Klunk
    Free Member

My fingers hurt for three months after a day at Antur on my Cotic Soul. Maybe it was the Fox 32s to blame,

exactly what I ride in wales

racing ralphs no dropper 9 speed mincing machine…. btw I asked the wife which was more technical antur or penmachno, without hesitation penmachno.

Northwind

They’re both great, and pretty different. But I think for your needs, BPW is better- it has more variety, and it’s more “trailcentry”, it’s going to feel more familiar to you while still being a different day so it’s less of a leap. It’s really an uplifted trailcentre rather than Antur which is more a downhill venue with a wide range of trail difficulty.

BPW’s blues are more “standard blues” by which I mean, anyone who can ride a bike can trundle down them, while better riders can do them faster. But they’re very “flow trail”, pretty simple and repetitive. Antur’s to me do feel more like a red.

Don’t worry about your bikes, they’re totally suitable and you don’t need a fullface (nothing wrong with wearing one but don’t let it bother you)

As for criticism? BPW’s uplift road is pretty slow, frustratingly so for a purpose built uplift venue but I’ve always been happy with the turnaround times, drivers etc, and the cafe’s fine (and is in my good books for its epic selection of gluten free cake). When I was last at Antur they were still setting up so I can’t really judge that but the uplift was much faster. Now that matters to me because I want to get in every possible run but most people tend to have down time and rests and generally the uplift isn’t the limiting factor

P-Jay
    Free Member

eb2429 – Member

Thanks all

As I thought, you can have a good day and a bad day with ppl anywhere and we aren’t expecting 5 star welcome, thats not our thing. I think BPW will be the more open to my wife riding the green and blues for a day. I will go for blue and a couple of non “+” reds to keep me going. Maybe Antur next time

I guess a Monday in mid July will at least be reasonably quiet-ish? Its not school hols so better than a weekend.

Better than ever, it’s not even close to a 50/50 split Male / Female, but there’s always some female riders at BPW.

The green trails at BPW are for little kids really, there’s only one, the other is a cycle path to the over-flow carpark. It’s flows around the outside of the car park off the main hill and isn’t fed by the uplift, not that it needs to be.

It’s never quiet, quiet at BPW, the weekends are so busy and sold out weeks in advance if not months so a lot of riders book a little mid-week break to go, but because of the size of the place, it’s never busy on the trails other than maybe Sixapod off the first bus.

julians
    Free Member

btw I asked the wife which was more technical antur or penmachno, without hesitation penmachno

Im genuinely surprised by that,i find penmachno quite tame and a bit boring.

Different strokes for different foks i suppose

AlexSimon

IME there is a higher proportion of women on these than on your standard sunday ride.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m on the fence about BPW. I’ve been a few times; first time I loved it, second time I hated it, third time was Ok. The staff all seem fine to me but my biggest gripe is that the uplift is soooo bloody slow compared to Antur or Revo.

For a first time uplift place it is good though because of the variety of tracks.

eb2429
    Free Member

Really appreciate the responses, all taken on board and logged for the future. Will look up penmachno too for the future thanks. It seems like a long time away, but the uplifts get busy so wanted to book this week if poss. We have both been riding for a number of years and for my sins I enjoyed my BMX till I was 32 (now 45) so will probably cruise down the trails in tow to see she is ok on the blues and avoid the green.. Then see how the day goes.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I think it’s fair to say BPW is basically a trail centre with an uplift where as AS is more of a DH experience. I find myself agreeing with Northwind again, BPW is a good bet as it starts from really easy and then works it’s way up. AS starts at a higher level although as with all these places just take it easy to start with and you’ll be fine. LT hardtails will be more than up to the job of all the trails at either and I would ay full face is a bit over kill personally although AS insist on one for the Blacks.

John

nickc

Will look up penmachno too for the future thanks

choose your day carefully, it can get wet (as in ankle deep running water for kilometres at a time)

JackHammer

choose your day carefully, it can get wet (as in ankle deep running water for kilometres at a time)

This is what i found, and weirdly it was at the top of the mountain (or atleast it felt like the top). Had a big crash too, was more technical than I expected. I really liked it!

Northwind

nickc – Member

We went on a completely dry day but there were still huge sections underwater, even though the lower ground beside the trail was dry. I can’t help but give things the Trailbuilder’s Eyeball but I was absolutely stumped. It’s like the Pyramids, built with mysterious techniques now lost to modern man.

Awesome trails though, not been there for a long time…

nickc

built with mysterious techniques now lost to modern man.

they must have hit a hidden/underground source that got rerouted because of the trail building or something . It’s uncanny fo’shure

Klunk
    Free Member

the original trail surface has complete gone on most of the traverse (post 123 on the map below) section on loop 1, it’s now just a stream bed 🙂

and there are trail map now too !

kayak23

Antur is a lottery for the wind.
    The last two times I’ve been it’s been unrideable due to the gale force winds blasting up the valley.

Such a shame to go all that way and then going downhill takes massive pedalling effort and every little jump has the wheels out from under you.

Gave up after one run last time and went to Coed Y B instead. 😐

BPW sounds more suited.

therag
    Free Member

I find a.s is far more technical and dependant on the weather, but really efficient uplift. Bpw is a lot more comercalised but is great in all weather but slow uplift and very expensive for the location. I’d chose bpw everytime and eat in Merthyr.

grum
    Free Member

btw I asked the wife which was more technical antur or penmachno, without hesitation penmachno

😕

gribble
    Free Member

Very interested in this; been to BPW once, (and loved it) but would like to try Antur. How does Antur compare to Snowdon (Rangers/Telegraph) – appreciate not all of Snowdon was rideable (for me anyway!), but just a measure of relative required skill/mince level. I did Snowdon many moons ago and ave to say that Snowdonia is one of the most stunning places I have been to.

Recently sold my full suss (Giant Trance X) and replaced it with a Bfe; so far I have not missed the lack of rear suspension, but have not ridden anywhere too rocky yet…

Love Penmachno – one of my favourite trails, but defeats all know laws of physics in managing to stay so wet.

Marin
    Free Member

BPW more like a trail centre for riding I’d say. AS more rocky downhill style of riding but doable by any competent rider. You can always stop look and work it out. Mrs Marin nails both but too hard to say if others can do it unless you’ve ridden with them. If you don’t like a section you can always chicken run it or wait and watch someone else do it to see. Well worth a visit.

nedrapier

Not been to BPW, but went to AS for a day with the wife when we stayed in the are. We had vouchers for the slate mine trampolining and the zip wires.

Decemeber, so cold and short days, but we both had a great time.

First time I’d done an uplift and I loved it. I was on 26″ hard tail – Dialled PA, wife was on Swift with 100mm forks. She stuck to the blues, I had a few runs down the red as well.

Didn’t mind repeating, that was part of the joy for me, getting to know the tracks, what the jumps are like, knowing that that blind roll is good to send as fast as you fancy if you come in on that line, nailing the berms better and better every time. Wife loved it too for all the same reasons, she loves learning, and she’s relatively cautious first go down a trail.

We ride type riders really, don’t ride the same trails more than once in a ride, so this was a different sort of experience – felt more like skiing!

xc lids and no pads, reckless fools that we are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales Or Antur Stiniog Or?’ is closed to new replies.