Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bike Outlet, York – AVOID
  • nickirwin
    Free Member

I ordered a Hope V2 Evo brake from bike outlet as they were £15 cheaper than CRC. Now I regret it. Their website states in stock items when it’s a complete lie. I called several times over a number of days only to be told a pack of lies such as “they will be sent tomorrow”. Of course, tomorrow was the same story. They even took my money on the day I ordered it. Disgusting. I am now asking for a refund, but don’t hold my hopes too high. I fear I may have to get my money back via my credit card company.

It wasn’t until I did some R&D into them that they have done this thing in the past a couple of years ago (I should have checked before I ordered I know). They are still upto their old tricks.

http://www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/

Avoid at all costs. Blatant fraud.

njee20
    Free Member

Crikey, over reaction much!?

z1ppy

Have heard many good things about them in the past, as for taking payment on the same day, pretty damned standard practice for any “online” retailer.

nickirwin
    Free Member

Over Reaction? No, ive been ripped off, plain and simple.

I wouldnt mind being charged as soon as I ordered if the item was actually in stock as stated.

st

I bought some Hope Hoops from them earlier this year and they were fine, the front wheel was missing the 20mm adaptor which they despatched promptly after a quick phone call. No complaints here.

sv

They did the same thing with me on a set of Hope Hoops. Eventually got my refund. Did have a funny phone call with them when they forgot to put me on hold and I heard their conversation. The girl asked her fellow worker if they had been sent, he said nah never did have them in stock. She came back on claiming the courier had lost them and they were their last set. Oh didnt have a tracking number either – funny that! Avoided their woeful service since.

Woody
    Free Member

What timescale are we talking about here?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Kate ordered an xt chainset for the bargain price of 99 quid, it turned up following day – great servjce

float
    Free Member

I fear I may have to get my money back via my credit card company.

or just ring them up and cancel the order?

nickirwin
    Free Member

Called them on thursday to cancel the order and followed up by email.
    No confirmation or reply from them as yet and no refund (and it’s quite possible to do a refund within 24 hours).

I ordered the item on the 21st November, so to not send an item that is “supposedly” in stock within 10 days is unnacceptable.

It’s the lies that got to me – If they had been honest and only list items as in stock when they are actually in stock, it would be ok.

They seem to advertise everything in stock when maybe only half their items are – which is why some people have great experiences with them, others not.

nickirwin
    Free Member

they are still advertising the Hope V2 Evo brake I tried to order as….

Item is in stock and ready to dispatch – delivery guidance 1-5 days -mail order direct only

If that’s not false advertising, what is!

BoardinBob

Ordered from them plenty of times.

Always good prices and service

hugor
    Free Member

Seems to be alot of bitching recently about online retailers.
    Long live the LBS!
    I’ll happily pay 15 quid extra for my bits and have the security of not having to deal with this shit.
    My LBS mechanics know me and look after me in return for regular business.
    I still order non urgent bits from online retailers for convenience sakes but never anything too critical or expensive.

neninja
    Free Member

Perhaps Hope are out of stock of the brakes as normally stuff seems to get to my LBS really quickly from Hope when I’ve got them to order stuff in for me.

SBrock
    Free Member

Perhaps Hope are out of stock of the brakes as normally stuff seems to get to my LBS really quickly from Hope when I’ve got them to order stuff in for me.

Not true Hope took 10 days to get a taper headset to my LBS, made it worse as my new build was ready minus the headset!

NonStopNun
    Free Member

Wiggle are just the same misleading customers that items are in stock when they arnt, the items i ordered it took them 4 days to tell me they were out of stock i only found this out be checking my order and 2 days after they said they had no stock there website is showing both items are in stock.At least you had a phone number with wiggle its e mail and all you get back is a reply from Elaine Rutledge who ignores every question about missleading customers with false stock claims but they are busy !
    I think its time to find a good LBS and use them

4ndyB
    Free Member

Always had Hope stuff arrive in a few of working days, usually 48hrs when we order from them for customers/shop stock.

Pretty much all online retailers list anything they can get from their suppliers without knowing if the supplier has it in stock or not, some find it’s the easiest way to do it

The key to good service is communication. If a product is out of stock or there’s a delay let the customer know this ASAP, so many shops fail in doing this it’s no wonder there are so many disgruntled customers

ojom
    Free Member

There are integration modules you can buy for your site that reflect the suppliers stock holding.

We don’t use one.

When running a physical shoppe and web too it’s important that you know what we have in case you are making a trip to collect it. HOWEVER, sometimes mistakes are made. Stuff gets shopflifted maybe or recorded wrong by a human.

There is one retailer on line that we know of (suspect) holds very little and reflects what a distributor has as there own, pretty much live, so thus making it highly profitable i would imagine. Zero own stock, massive back up from someone else.

SBrock
    Free Member

The key to good service is communication. If a product is out of stock or there’s a delay let the customer know this ASAP, so many shops fail in doing this it’s no wonder there are so many disgruntled customers

Hope they said they sent 2 headsets out none of which turned up, I know we are at the mercy of Royal Mail, but waiting 10 days to get the bike of your dreams was frustrating to say the least.

On a positive note this was probably a one-off and I love there stuff – M4 brakes, Pro2 Evo Hubs, Tapered Headset, BB decorate my bike!

nealglover
    Free Member

nickirwin – Member
    they are still advertising the Hope V2 Evo brake I tried to order as….

Item is in stock and ready to dispatch – delivery guidance 1-5 days –MAIL ORDER DIRECT ONLY[/u]

If that’s not false advertising, what is!

I’m not suggesting they are right in any way, and 10 days is too long to wait.

However…..

“Mail Order Direct Only” would suggest to me that they don’t actually have them in stock. And rely on the fact that the supplier does.

I live just around the corner from their shop, and if I can’t walk in and buy them, they are not in stock are they ?

jota180
    Free Member

Looking at the OPs short posting history, he’s not the luckiest cyclist out there is he?

Anyway – I’ve had one or two – high ticket – bits and pieces of them and they’ve been fine for me
    Not the swiftest at delivery but not too bad

nick1962
    Free Member

Remember the good old days when you bought stuff mail order and had to wait up to 28 days for delivery.You kids have never had it so good 🙂
    Oh and I ordered some bar ends from CRC and they took my money immediately but they weren’t in stock and eventually arrived 3 months later despite their website saying they would be avaiable next week then next month etc!
    Mind you they did send me two seatposts instead of just the one I ordered in error once – one of which I returned.Wouldn’t one them coming onto an internet forum and accusing me of fraud

chakaping
    Free Member

So basically, they had the best price on the product you wanted because they don’t hold it in stock but order it after taking your money.

They fib about this though, which has made you very angry.

Would you have still bought from them if you knew they would order it in for you? That appears to be how they can afford to do a lower price than CRC – by not having the cost of holding stock.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Sh!t Happens Mate.

There’s not a shop in the world that won’t upset someone someday.

Lesson to be learn’t: walk in, pick it up, buy it.

roblane65
    Free Member

If you think that retailers don’t do this your’e sadly mistaken,I wish I had a quid for every time I was told someting was in stock I’d be rich.think about it,if their site said out of stock,oos, oos, people would’t order ! they all do this,then once they have your money but thier suppler hasn’t got your item is where they fall foul of the customer and generally the lies start.Instead of saying the suppler is out of stock they fob you off so as they don’t have to refund the money and lose a sale. 😯

hugor
    Free Member

If you think that retailers don’t do this your’e sadly mistaken

Point is that with retailers you don’t hand over the cash until you’ve got the goods in your hand.
    This also gives you the freedom to shop elsewhere if they don’t have it in an acceptable time without having to get your money back.

james
    Free Member

I think I bought my forks from there. Having thought I’d read something before about them and not 100% trusting of smaller shops ‘in stock’ indicators, I phoned them up to see if it was in, the guy on the phone managed to get them in his hand, described them to me to make sure it was the right model (was a RS revelation .. ), did the transaction over the phone and sent them out. Arrived as quick as anything else normally does. Plus was the cheapest price I’ve seen for that model too

nedrapier

James +1 to the letter. Could have written it myself. ordered at 3:30, in my hands at 9 the next morning.

davetrave
    Free Member

Hmm, The Bike Outlet once again…

They would be my LBS but for previous experiences with them. I went in a few times over the period of about 12 months to try and give them a second chance to prove initial impressions wrong, unfortunately that never happened and now I go elsewhere, more often than not, Harrogate or Leeds. First time I went the place looked good and the initial vibe was good, until it came time to try and engage the shop staff in order to make a purchase – despite standing at the counter in full view of the staff, no joy, they were all more interetsed in sitting out of the back door smoking dope, no amount of “excuse me” would draw them away, seemed we were to be dealt with at their leisure. That was one high end purchase less for them (forks).

Second time I went in, similar experience with disinterested staff, although this time there was some engagement still not customer oriented or helpful with another high end purchase (new bike for missus).

Third time was for some bits and pieces, same as first time, all out the back sharing a spliff. Didn’t even bother trying to get their attention and just walked out, never to set foot in the place again.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bike Outlet, York – AVOID’ is closed to new replies.