Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Bike on train to Oxford – via Reading or Basingstoke
  • dovebiker

I need to travel up to near Oxford tomorrow to pick up a VW Camper! Planning to cycle/train/cycle – given that it’s gonna be busy, any suggestion what might be better route to get my bike on the train? Can go via Basingstoke or Reading but would prefer the one that means I’m not standing on the platform with my bike for 2 hours.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’m a cycle commuter on that line (Oxford-Banbury) and you might struggle with the Cross Country services as they only have space for three bikes. If you can get to Reading you can get the Great Western stopper – not as many services during the day and takes loads longer but no limit on the number of bikes, just stick it in the vestibule, they never seem bothered if they’re three deep or whatever.

lunge

If you can catch a Cross Country service they allow bikes, you can book a place at any station or take your chances that one of the 3 on board is not reserved.

I use them to help break up my commute sometimes and they’re fine.

dovebiker

Thanks guys, recommendation is that I’ll take the stopping service from Reading as it’s a commuter train so shouldn’t be rammed with bank holidayists.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Bike on train to Oxford – via Reading or Basingstoke’ is closed to new replies.