Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bike names that don't 'work' across the pond
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’m still struggling to take the Trek Slash seriously, and now there’s the Cannondale Trigger.

I know there are some brands that use double-entendres deliberately, Cove for instance, but I really like the earnest ones that just don’t ‘go’ over here.

I propose a rule – if anyone buys a Cannondale Trigger, they have to insist on calling every one of their riding mates ‘Dave’.

alex222
    Free Member

transition bandit

headfirst
    Free Member

transition bandit

+1

Think they should bring out a trail centre-specific one and call it the…

‘transition berm bandit’

wwaswas

I don’t think that on-one’s Pompino goes down well in Italy.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think Cove have that covered with the slang term names for bikes. I vividly remember going to the Cove stall at a bike show in Olympia when a mate said he was “going to see the girl at Cove about a Handjob”. She’s probably heard that one before.

The “Trigger” did make me smirk though, it begs to be ridden in a sky blue, 1970s style suit.

Didn’t someone once have a bike called a “Snatch” or am I imagining things?

scruzer
    Free Member

Orange Patriot, complete with ‘RAF dart board’ perhaps?

dannyh
    Free Member

Hayes Stroker brakes always had me having a bit of a ‘Finbarr Saunders’ moment as well.

PJM1974
    Free Member

For a Finbarr Saunders moment it’s hard to beat the Manitou R7. They really didn’t think that one through.

Bontrager’s Big Earl stuff is a bit of a naming faux pas if you say it quickly enough.

druidh
    Free Member

Gusset do the R Series saddles

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, time to wheel this old chestnut out….

Many years ago, working in the bike industry, I was at a product launch for a well known, large bike company. One of their product manager had made the trek over to the UK to talk to the great and good (and me) of the UK bike industry.

He stood up in front of a reasonably well lubricated crowd. There had been beer. He then said, in a lovely American drawl….

“This year, I’m really proud to introduce our new range of fannies”

There was laughter among the UK bike industry. The face of the American was unmoved.

“We’ve got the small fanny, the medium fanny and the large fanny in a new range of colors (sic)”

The laughter was becoming uncontrolled. The face of the American was starting to look concerned that something was amiss with his presentation.

A moment passed. The laughter died down.

“And this year, I’m really stoked to show you all our new, extra large, expandable fanny!”

People fell off their chairs.

🙂

Spin
    Free Member

I propose a rule – if anyone buys a Cannondale Trigger, they have to insist on calling every one of their riding mates ‘Dave’.

Or perhaps their next model will be the Pooh?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Why? The bouncey thing in Pooh was called Tigger?

Spin
    Free Member

Ha ha.

I didn’t think that one through.

Rorschach
    Free Member

😆 😆

hamishthecat
    Free Member

xiphon
    Free Member

@ scruzer

Just for you 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They weren’t called this in Merka.

dingabell
    Free Member

Can’t wait till the Cannondales start being sold with that electronic fork they’ve pioneered called “Simon”. Catchy!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

dingabell – Member
    Can’t wait till the Cannondales start being sold with that electronic fork they’ve pioneered called “Simon”. Catchy!

You mean like the Rock Shox Judy?

or perhaps the Pace Cathy? (No pics, but I distinctly remember that Pace decided to (jokingly) call a fork a Cathy in response to the Judy! Named after Adrian’s wife, IIRC.)

coatesy
    Free Member

Apparently, it’s not a good idea taking anything branded Kona to Portugal, your family, all wearing said T-shirts, may even be asked to leave restaurants(this story from a Paligap employee).

atlaz
    Free Member

or perhaps the Pace Cathy? (No pics, but I distinctly remember that Pace decided to (jokingly) call a fork a Cathy in response to the Judy! Named after Adrian’s wife, IIRC.)

The Lotus Elise is named after someone’s granddaughter (probably the chairman of Bugatti at the time)

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

“Judy butter” (back in the day)

clubber
    Free Member

IIRC On-one had some trouble with their Reetard rims in the US who didn’t get the Northern “reet ‘ard” thing.

clubber
    Free Member

kingkongsfinger – Member
    “Judy butter” (back in the day)

I’m pretty sure that that was always deliberate…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Hopefully someone at Giant will come up with the perfect one bike to rule them all solution in the Giant Glory Whole…

In the meantime here’s the Trek Full Floater suspension design

lipseal
    Free Member

Is it me or is TITUS a bit off putting? I always think of Abi Titums when I ……… ponders……… goes off to search google videos.

mr_mills
    Free Member

coatesy – Member

Apparently, it’s not a good idea taking anything branded Kona to Portugal, your family, all wearing said T-shirts, may even be asked to leave restaurants(this story from a Paligap employee).

Eek – I just put that into the Google translator thing. At work. It’s spelt “Cona” if you want to try it 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Heard that Kona story before, it’s a classic!

atlaz
    Free Member

Hopefully someone at Giant will come up with the perfect one bike to rule them all solution in the Giant Glory Whole

I’m pretty sure the old frames (like my old Trance) where they had the cutout in the frame for the shock, the hole was called the glory hole. Whether this was from people in the trade or Giant themselves, the name stuck.

njee20
    Free Member

IIRC On-one had some trouble with their Reetard rims in the US who didn’t get the Northern “reet ‘ard” thing.

Only just got that myself!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ah, I thought it was an extension of “inbred”.

zangolin
    Free Member

Not bikes but cars. In Japan Nissan used to make a Cedric and a Gloria.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Easton CNT bars always made me wonder…

khani
    Free Member

For a Finbarr Saunders moment it’s hard to beat the Manitou R7. They really didn’t think that one through.

😆 it took a while.. 😆 f’nar f’nar…

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bike names that don't 'work' across the pond’ is closed to new replies.