• This topic has 92 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Bike moved/interfered with – what would you do?
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

have had your bike rendered unsafe by security personnel commissioned by the University

Unsubstantiated. The picture of the note isn’t entirely readable and may not be from Security.

sideshow
    Free Member

I think the people saying this is your fault are frankly wrong, ignore them. On the other hand, going in all guns blazing to give the security a bollocking is not going to help you.

Your bike could have been nicked. It wasn’t, so count your blessings.

Start a productive dialog with security about why you’re parking where you are, what can be done to resolve the situation and also mention that you’re not happy with how your bike was left unlocked. If you’re liable to explode if you go in there in person, do it on paper instead, though the best results are likely to come from having a friendly chat.

If you want to be angry about something there are plenty of more worthwhile things to be angry about.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s a little ambiguous, but security know about it.

What if it was security? I think that would make it a little less OK…

Jamie
    Free Member

1) Go to Security
    2) “Can I have the number for the bike cage please?”

Woooaaah! Easy there, Brainiac. How about you dumb it down for the rest of us?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If you’re liable to explode if you go in there in person, do it on paper instead, though the best results are likely to come from having a friendly chat.

I’m a pretty chill kinda guy. I have explored the “being cross” aspect of this here and with myself before I go in, for reasons of not making myself look like a tit [well, any more than is necessary].

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Or because they now needed their property back to do what they wished with.

Possible, yes. Doesn’t really go with the note though, does it?

Cougar

Wait.

Who are “Bradford University Motorcycle Club”? Has it been moved by a bunch of students? Take it up with the Students’ Union?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

What does it say in biro?

Sounds like the BUMC have got upset with you for using a space that they’ve claimed as theirs, even if it’s not being used.

njee20
    Free Member

What does it say in biro?

“Signs on wall would help. We canot (sic) read minds!”

bencooper
    Free Member

A biker who types a note? With italics?? And red ink???

woody2000

It says “signs on wall would help, we can’t read minds!”

I’d say f*** em, they’re being dicks over what they think is “their” spot.

hels
    Free Member

Or you could just grow up and park your bike properly. Or get up earlier. Or park the bike somewhere else. Honestly !

I have a friend who is constantly getting parking tickets, fined on the tube etc and moaning about is cos “I was running late” so she thinks normal rules don’t apply. But she is ALWAYS running late.

iolo
    Free Member

1 register with Freecycle
    2 put wanted ad there for bike
    3 lock it to a lamp post/bench/not motorcycle bay
    4 take your £1000 bike to your parents
    5 enjoy your nocturnal web design knowing that you don’t care if the free bike is stolen

gogg
    Free Member

+1 for go to bed earlier, get up earlier, use the facilities provided, complain if they’re not up to scratch, it’s part of what you pay your fees for.

X

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Many interesting responses.

Re the Running Late/not obeying rules – there is no sign saying it’s motorbike parking.

I’m going in now – we’ll see what happens 🙂

D0NK

it was very naughty of them to leave it unsecured – no doubt about that, as much as I hate to say it you have been pretty daft with securing it. You need to get the lock though frame and atleast one wheel (both for preference) to a proper immovable object.
    <edit> and get rid of your seat/wheel QRs, I’ve had bolted seatposts nicked so god knows how you manage to not get yours pinched especially as it’s not in the cage – must be an honest neighbourhood eh? Not sure your theory holds up, the usual story goes thieves go for the easiest target, if there’s a cage to get into or a bike on it’s lonesome out in the open they’ll hit that first.

BUMC presumably have a contact email/phone number. Get in touch, make a minor apology that you parked in a motorcycle bay but point out you didn’t know as no sign-age, bring up how difficult it is to get a bike cage code (see if they can help expedite) and tell them how upset (without swearies) you are at your bike being left unsecured as there was no reason too (no motorbike) and bang out of order

Cougar

BUM Club.

*sniggers*

woody2000

There doesn’t even appear to be such a thing as the motorcycle club. No mention of it on the university website, nor does a google search reveal anything. Probably the Dominoes delivery driver, he’ll be at the HOR pretty regularly I imagine 🙂

woody2000
    gogg
    Free Member

There’s also no sign saying it’s for cycle parking.

ninfan
    Free Member

get crap bike from skip

spend tenner at lidl on lock

park it in motorbike space, locked properly, just to piss them off!

bigyinn
    Free Member

The note printer may have just thrown the “security will remove” comment to scare you off.
    Personally I’d NEVER put a bike in a secluded spot where anyone can have access to it (and work away on it undetected)
    I’d be speaking to facilities to clarify whether the spot is reserved for motorbikes or not and also discuss the insufficient number of secure bike spots.
    I’d also learn that your bike security is down to YOU, nobody else. Whilst the unknown party shouldnt have done what they did, it highlighted nicely that you were using a potentially insecure method of securing your bike. You were lucky, next time you may not.
    You may also want to get in touch with the BUM Club and try and engage with them.
    Just because YOU have never seen anyone using the spot, doesnt mean THEY dont.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

BUMS is pretty amusing….

I googled the motorcycle club when I was standing next to the bike. No idea who they are, neither has my lecturer who rides in on him BMW.

The front wheel is usually locked, though it’s a 20mm so I didn’t bother to correct my mistake when I missed it yesterday. The rear wheel is 10mm Bolt-up so I often don’t lock it. The seat etc is deliberately awful and [cost me £5] for the reason you stated.

crankboy
    Free Member

twoc of a pedal cycle is a crime ,subject to argument about moving short distance for a laugh. Looks like security played no roll in this. The Bums have decided that is their spot and whichever bum owns the rusty chain has removed it or some Bum with a misplaced self importance has cut it . speak to security ask if they have an issue with you parking there if so don’t park there if not do but use better security particularly don’t attach to other peoples locks or bikes . And don’t leave a nice bike unattended even if locked.

DezB
    Free Member

No-one else thinks it’s unacceptable to leave the bike unlocked?

Yep!

Funny how STW works though eh? you think you’ve been wronged and everyone leaps all over you and you find out that in fact you’re the wrong-doer. Marvelous.

If you feel the need to say something, don’t tell em about your bike, but ask security where the motorcycle parking is. See if the note is legit.

GHill

Let me get this straight.

1) You locked your bike to someone else’s lock.
    2) That someone else wanted their lock back (possibly out of spite).
    3) They undid their own lock, leaving your lock still locked, but only to your bike.
    4) They moved your bike and put a note on it.

Is that right?

woody2000

I think the BUM club are being cocks. And when the BUM club has a few cocks in it, you’re f****d.

🙂

lilchris
    Free Member

I think the BUM club are being cocks. And when the BUM club has a few cocks in it, you’re f****d.

….and pussies don’t get along with assholes..

DezB
    Free Member

Let me get this straight.

1) You locked your bike to someone else’s lock.
    2) That someone else wanted their lock back (possibly out of spite).
    3) They undid their own lock, leaving your lock still locked, but only to your bike.
    4) They moved your bike and put a note on it.

Is that right?

Nope. Nothing like that.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^That’s about right.

So, I’ve found out who it was:

The Chair of the University’s Ethics in Research Committee.

I’m still laughing. Honestly!

And concerned – I have been offered an MPhil at the Uni. A Masters by Research. I have a suspicion I will have to deal with him at some point! What do now?!

I have my own idea BTW….

Actually I have two – one of them was to attach a small motor to the ‘Pig, join the BUM Club and then park there with a smile 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh – and thanks for all the advice everyone 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

scc999 – Yeah sure, on the days when i’m not up to 2am doing uni stuff and putting up websites by 7:30 am the next morning, yes.

Bless… the real world is going to be a rude awakening…

gogg
    Free Member

ROTFL at Chunky

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I love how you all assume I’m 18!

bigyinn
    Free Member

You’re certainly daft enough! 😉

dooosuk
    Free Member

We’re sorry, are you 21?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

There’s no doubt. But you do also need to take into account that even sensible people have daft days.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No. I’m 30 tomorrow. There had better be cake!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoWKSxuU6WU[/video]

Jamie
    Free Member

No. I’m 30 tomorrow. There had better be cake!

Then you should know better, young man.

Now get to bed!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Bike moved/interfered with – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.