Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike manufacturer lied on their website and in the catalogue…
  • medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking to post it long time ago, but somehow I stopped thinking about the issue – but it came back to me this morning.

I’ve got a Merida BigNine 900 2014. It’s a lovely bike, I really enjoy riding it. But I still can’t understand why did Merida lie saying it has a tapered steerer forks, while in reality it is an old-fashioned straight 1 1/8″?

Link to the bike on their website: http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bikes/mtb/sport/2014/big-nine-900-1142.html

Also they pictured it with different forks at all (it comes with great Manitou Marvel, which was one of the main reasons I got the bike), which is a bit weird in the first place, isn’t it?

It was the same in the catalogue. Can it beat the latest Volkswagen revelations? 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There will be a line saying specs subject to change

aracer
    Free Member

e&oe

nickjb
    Free Member

It quite clearly isn’t a taper frame in the picture (although you might need to be little nerdy to noice), then they say the fork isn’t the one in the picture. TBH failing to have a picture of the product you are buying would set alarm bells off for me and probably see me walking away.

nickjb
    Free Member

Double post

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Yeah. It’s exactly The same as VW 🙄

woodster

Can it beat the latest Volkswagen revelations?

If they’re anything like the Rockshox ones, then I’d say so.

MSP

I think there is a big difference between changing a component for another equivalent, than changing the frame design from tapered to old fashioned 1&1/8 which is a fundamental to the bikes design.

IMO the usual brochure disclaimer wouldn’t cover that if legally challenged. Adding a disclaimer does not allow a company to break the law.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Has the frame changed or just the fork in which case it’s a spec change nothing more

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I once bought a Lynskey ti frame based on the sizing info on their website. When it arrived I built it up and rode it. It felt a tad small so I measured it. Guess what… I was an inch shorter than they’d specced. Thanks Lynskey. I lost £400 on that one.

medoramas
    Free Member

Has the frame changed or just the fork in which case it’s a spec change

On the spec it says “Manitou Marvel Comp 29 TS air 100 taper”, while in reality is is 1 1/8″, as the tapered steerer would not fit the frame at all.

nemesis
    Free Member

Who did you buy it from?

FWIW, I doubt it’s lying given that it’s pretty obviously different – it’s admin/cock up with the spec changing but the brochure/website not being updated – but you’re perfectly entitled to look at getting it sorted out by the shop you bought it from.

medoramas
    Free Member

…but you’re perfectly entitled to look at getting it sorted out by the shop you bought it from

Can they stretch the bottom of the headtube a bit? 😉

I bought the bike in 2014, a bit long time ago… I know Merida gives lifetime warranty on their frames, so would that classify as a manufacturing fault? 8)

v666ern
    Free Member

how long have you had/ridden it in its obsolete guise 😀

edit – damn beaten to it

nemesis
    Free Member

I would argue then that you’ve probably had it long enough that you’ve accepted it as is.

oldnpastit

*applauds woodster*

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike manufacturer lied on their website and in the catalogue…’ is closed to new replies.