Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike luggage – where from?
  • PikeBN14
    Free Member

Finally bought a proper commuter with mud guards and a rack! Isn’t middle age great.

Looked at panniers and stuff in Halfords, seemed rather expensive, is that the going rate or does anybody know a good place for this kinda thing?

Thanks in anticipation ….

qwerty
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can get cheapo ones but the expensive ones are much better. with much more secure fixings and the like

Cheapo from crc
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13690

PikeBN14
    Free Member

qwerty – usually my motto too, but I struggle to spend a lot on some things, this being one!

TandemJeremy – They look just the ticket, that sort of thing was £50 in Halfords!!

I’ll give them a go, three reviews all giving 5 out of 5 …. !

worksok
    Free Member

I am surprised at the positive reviews of the el-cheapos from crc. I would stay away from anything with stamped steel top hooks like these have. My sister has gone through 2 sets of these panniers in as many years before stumping up the cash and going for ortlieb, and another friend had the same problem that she had – the metal hooks weakened and bent loose over time causing them to jump off the rack over big bumps. Bending them back didn’t work as they were weakened and bent straight out again. It’s one of those things where I would say you get what you pay for. With Carradice and Ortlieb you are pretty much guaranteed long life, other brands I don’t have experience of but I’d definitely stay away from steel hooks. I’d look out for a better brand second hand on this forum or ctc forum.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Another carradiace vote form me. I have some super c front panniers I use on the rear and a long flap saddle bag. Both second hand both abused by me and both still as tough as ever. Used for commuting and a little touring.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used a set like those cheapo ones for years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike luggage – where from?’ is closed to new replies.