Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike locks – what do you use?
  • scc999

Having seen recent threads on here about bikes being stolen when out and about I was wondering what people did to secure them.

The best solution is not to leave the bike in the first place, but that’s not always practical.
    So what do people use?

I currently have a Kryptonite D lock and cable that I will take with me if I’m going somewhwre that I expect to need to leave my bike for a few mins (cafe stop etc).
    When travelling the bikes are locked in the car.

I could do with another lock/cable/chain setup to carry with us as the current one isn’t really ideal for two bikes. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Si

ottocat
    Free Member

I use and Abus disc lock and big f-off chain I used to use when I had a big f-off motorcycle… a bit heavy but fine, good for locking two bikes together

Junkyard
    Free Member

like you do lock and then a variety of other chains and things to slow them down and annoy them.

ton

kryptonite d lock while out riding.
    boron chain and warehouse lock at home.

turq

I work for CTC and we have done a fair bit of research and study into this area.
    The crux of it is, is that if they want it they get it but you need to make your bike more difficult to take than the other. This doesn’t sound the most public spirited but it’s unfortunately the way things are.

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/resources/cycleparking/guidance/cycleparking.pdf

Using a D lock with a cable lock makes it more difficult as they require seperate tools to break them, it’s also imprtant to fill the space in the D lock with your frame, cable lock etc, as the theif users the space for leverage to burst it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

1. 16mm thick d-lock, or a much lighter 13mm thick mini d-lock if not being left for very long (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Onguard-Mini-Bulldog-13mm-Shackle-D-U-amp-120cm-Coil-Combo-Key-Bike-Lock-lk8015-/131201422258).

2. Security skewers on wheels and seatpost.

3. My town bike (Revolution Courier) isn’t hugely expensive and is covered in reflective tape to look terrible

4. Bikes kept in house when at home.

also, read this…
    http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

bol

Kryptonite New York and cable out and about. Very well secured garage, ground anchors and big FO chains at home. And good insurance.

gonzy
    Free Member

Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 chain secure to an Abus ground/wall anchor at home
    at work i have an Abus Junior Plus d-lock

ska-49
    Free Member

Bikes in the flat are safe but the bikes in the communal gated lock up have my motorbike lock, D-lock and a couple small cheap cables.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Hardcore-Motorbike-Chain-Lock/dp/B001NLP55K

scc999

Cheers folks – I’ll probably look at getting a big chain and padlock for the times we’re both out and need to lock the bikes. Bit of variety from the Dlock on the other one!

Thanksfully they are stored in the flat so I don’t have to worry about trying to make a shed / garage secure.

Si

teamslug
    Free Member

Fortunately my riding and commute doesnt involve the need to lock up my bike but I have a friend ‘ in the industry’ who showed me something called a Hiplock. Looked like a substantial bit of kit and you put it around your waist and the weight of it seems to disappear. Really clever idea…I have no association with the product as you can see from my previous posts just thought I’d put the product out there.

benp1

Abus Granit 54 is my main lock. Use a Kryptonite cable extension if I’m leaving it somewhere dodgy

steviecapt
    Free Member

+1 abus granit and a cable for the wheels n seat,its not the lightest set up, but its a gold standard lock as needed by my insurance company, touch wood no probs so far?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Does anyone else have a problem with their Kryptonite Evolution D’lock jamming up?

Mine is forever jamming up and refusing to open. I read on the Krytonite website that this happens on occasion. They recommend using a small screwdriver to fiddle with it. I don’t carry a small screwdriver or want to. It also makes a horrendous racket when it’s fitted to the frame bracket. Are other locks this rubbish?!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike locks – what do you use?’ is closed to new replies.