Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike lock – must be a chain
  • tinybits
    Free Member

Will be out and about at the joy that is centre parks in a couple of weeks and planning to take the bikes. I don’t own a ‘pub bike’ so will have to get a lock which as I never leave my bike anywhere, hasn’t been an issue in the past. Would be good to be able to lock the kids bikes as well, so something with a bit of length as well. May as well get something decent, so reccomendations?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Might be worth checking with your insurance company to see if they have any particular requirements before buying anything.

tjagain

Almax chains are a good buy I believe. Get a really good lock as well.

z1ppy

Almax* or Pragmasis, come in upto 2.5m lengths but are heavy and unwieldy for just popping up to the ‘centre’. TBH are you planning to be doing any proper cycling or just faffing with the family? If not I consider hiring one of there bikes (or a great excuse to buy another pub/cheap bike) instead of taking your good one, as though even these locks are very very good, unless you take multiple locks there a chance bit could be stripped instead.

*series IV for me in the garage, though there new (to me) series 5 looks a monster (for motorcyclists)

TheBrick
    Free Member

A decent lock will cost as much or more as a crap secondhand bike you can sell again at the end of the holiday and not have to worry about your nice bike.

but answering the question fagetablout chain or even better almax chain with a good padlock

theboatman
    Free Member

As zippy suggests if you aren’t ridiNg trails just rent or get a bso. I picked up some falcon POS for about £30 from the local paper and it’s had 5 years worth of family/ pub bike riding. Its had the odd spares box upgrade, but only to keep it going. To be fair, I would feel a bit of a douche shredding the high peak trail with the kids on my mtb, but plenty would disagree.

alric
    Free Member

I just found the Oxford chain lock and mini shackle at my local big Asda, its £35 at crc but it scanned at £15 so I got it.
    It is recommended somewhere as strong and not so easy to pick etc

alric
    Free Member

Sorry, its not the oxford, it just looks the same. It’s the Bell Rampage 300 one
    I cant find it on the asda website. It does have a $500 guarantee

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike lock – must be a chain’ is closed to new replies.