Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • bike injuries – twisted feet
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Twisted foot last week after getting wheel stuck in a muddy rut, put foot down sideways and something twisted or stretched perhaps.

Anyone had experience of this kind of thing and how long did it take to sort out?

I could barely walk for a day, then it improved but now for the last week the same pain around the arch of the foot when walking and bony thing on inside of foot is tender. Walk for a short while and I’m hobbling, but I’m feeling that it may be okay on the bike (flats) based on what part of the foot gets pressure and I’m not putting whole body weight on it when riding. Desperate to ride, though don’t want to mess it up as need foot ok for ski trip in couple months.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Get it x-rayed

Just in case

mattjg
    Free Member

I did this last Feb, just as you describe, had an X-ray to be sure but no breaks just very big soft tissue tears and a foot swollen to double normal size.

Take it easy RICE & get an x ray.

The more RICE you do now the more likely you are to make your ski trip. Seriously, don’t rush it now.

I was on a bike, albeit very gently on smooth trails, in a month or so. Walking comfortably took longer and it was some months before I could run on it. It’s a long gradual process, soft tissue injuries can take longer to heal than broken bones.

In my case I’d say I would have been 50/50 on skiing comfortably at 8 weeks (got to get in the boots to start with!). Obv. that’s my case not yours.

Longer term, all will be fine.

RICE now. Then some more. Did I say that already?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Those who say to use RICE for weeks on end clearly dont understand the healing process.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Basmati with jalfrezi, that’s my kind of rice.

Hmm. I did a bit of RICE for a day and use a compression/support sock I had from previous foot aches.

Nothing feels broken.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I said the “nothing feels broken” once… X-ray seemed to disagree.

Broken Scaphoid

deadkenny
    Free Member

To be honest, yeah had similar with my left index finger. I’d bust up my right hand and largely ignored the bruised left finger which didn’t feel broken. Follow up visit to check on cast on right hand and nurse was concerned about the left finger. “Hmm, think you may have broken that also”. Xray, yep broken.

Foot does seem better after a bit of RICEish treatment, but also some walking seems to be better, though ache after. Went for a ride today, fine when pedalling and can get in a normal ride, not so great if I have to put the foot down sharpish though.

I’ll see how it goes in the next week and maybe get it looked at if need be. I can see riding is okay. A ski boot however, not sure.

jet26
    Free Member

Would get it looked at – as per others may be more going on than you think. Unlikely but important to check – certain missed foot injuries can be a long term problem

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Did something similar at work last year, in June. Turned out I’d damaged the point where a tendon attaches to the bone according to the doc. Told me it could take up to a year to heal properly & it did take around that . Get it checked so you at least know how to deal with whatever the problem is.

deadkenny
    Free Member

That’s what I’d done to my finger. Avulsion fracture they called it. Where bit of the bone gets pulled away with the ligament. Needed splint for 6 weeks plus longer supposedly wearing it at night, and they did say something about it not being fully healed for months. So two months later I was riding in the alps 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

I get lots of these soft tissue injuries due to hyper extenstion in my joints (too bendy/flexible). Time has moved on a lot know but lots of icing in days immediately after and them rehab by small rapid movements – like wobble board or those small inflatable cushions/pads. I have had it explained to me that when you do such an injury you tend to damage the nerve ends which mean you are more susceptible to the same injury as the body can’t tell when the joint has moved/twisted “too much”. The wobble board type rehab helps with this.

servo
    Free Member

Had a similar off about 9 weeks ago. Felt my foot twist and something stretch too far. Very sore and swollen for about a week but could feel it getting better so didn’t go to A&E. Felt a bit embarrassed as they know me there 😕

Could ride on it after a week but could not do any running at all. Still aches every now and again. Main problem for the first few weeks was walking down stairs in the morning after it stiffened up at night.

I have a skiing trip in a few weeks as well but I am a few weeks ahead of you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘bike injuries – twisted feet’ is closed to new replies.