Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Bike identification required
  • Spaceman
    Free Member

Been given this bike to look at by a neighbor, anyone know what it is?

I would guess mid/late nineties vintage but it has no identifying marks on it as it has been resprayed at some point from its previous yellow.
    I’m guessing it might be an old Cannodale as the downtube resembles some I’ve seen but I really have no idea.

I expect to be corrected in short order!

19ninety
    Free Member

Mountain bike.

allthepies
    Free Member

My eyes…they bleed.

legend
    Free Member

Possibly a Shockforks fork, **** knows about the rest but a do like the pivot at the front of the top tube 😯

ontor
    Free Member

an early mr big?

greeble
    Free Member

ontor. far too well thought out and the welding is too good to be a Mr Big

legend
    Free Member

ontor – Member
    an early mr big?

Jeebus you’ll get a lot of hate if the wrong people heard that! Early Mr Big bikes were mental, rather than just shit. e.g.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I quite like the pivot at the front of the top tube as well, the suspension design seems radical and the welding is good so I think it was quite a decent bike in its day, not a sports direct special or owt like that.

angeldust
    Free Member

Friend had something very similar (in yellow) in the late 1990s. Got a feeling it was a Scott, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Sam

I don’t know but I can say it’s definitely not a Cannondale.

cynic-al
    Free Member

19ninety – Member
    Mountain bike.

…shaped object.

brant
    Free Member

That is quite remarkable.
    Can you shoot me a pic from the other side.

TomHill
    Free Member
    angeldust
    Free Member

Thats the monkey. I remember it being described as ”horrendous” to ride even at the time.

ricky1
    Free Member

Is it a 52 tooth chainring?

Spaceman
    Free Member

It is very similar to the Neva in the link, definately a Scott but the area round the seat tube look different and the straight tube on the front of the Neva rear suspension triangle is curved on the bike I’m trying to ID.

TomHill
    Free Member

Scott Vertigo?

Spaceman
    Free Member

Here you go Brant…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do i know you legend. 🙂

*Former mr big owner.

legend
    Free Member

So the Scott lowers the saddle as the suspension compresses for extra ball clearance? That’s bloomin’ genius!

Don’t think so T_R, that’s just a photo of Steve Barker’s old monster

Spaceman
    Free Member

looks like a Vertigo right enough Captain, although the bracing on the seat tube looks different, only a small difference from the Vertigo pictured right enough, could be a size difference or a slight model variation.

andyl
    Free Member

My legs are aching just looking at that single front ring!

Spaceman
    Free Member

The front ring is a beast, the rear cassete is quite small as well, think it’s maybe a road one. I might fix the puncture and take it down the Matador just to see how it rides…..

The bike belongs to the grown up son of my neighbor, who now lives in NY, his dad is moving house and wants rid of the bike, the son wants the crankset and the handlebars (wide modern things not in keeping with the other period components on the bike anyway) but isn’t interested in the rest. I may keep it and give it a new lease of life!

Superficial
    Free Member

There aren’t enough pivots in that design. Seriously – as the bottom / main pivot moves, the smaller of the two pivots near the BB will move in a slight arc. Even the pivot at the front can’t accommodate that properly. Bizarre.

I like the tagline though (with respect to the choice of top tube lengths) – “Long and faster or shorter and quicker?”

JoeG
    Free Member

That Scott is so hideous that it is awesome! 😯

I’ve now added one to my retrobike must-have list… 😳

Spaceman
    Free Member

pssst, JoeG, wanna buy a Scott Vertigo? Ex team USA DH stealth spec, very rare…..

cfinnimore
    Free Member

How does that work?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Looking at the dent in the bottom of the downtube I think we can assume it does move Superficial! Just some built in flex (play in the bearings) probably accommodates it 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah I did wonder if that was designed flex. Seems unlikely in 1997 but maybe.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Bike identification required’ is closed to new replies.