Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike Friendly B&B halfway along South Downs Way?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Hi, as title really … anyone recommend a bike friendly B & B about halfway along the South Downs Way – A24, A284-ish areas or within 10 miles or so? Not too far from the route and somewhere safe to keep bikes is all we need. Please post a link to website if any, and or telephone numbers, etc.

Thanks.

😀

tinsy
    Free Member

There is a youth hostel right on the route, cant remember the name though sorry, Trailbreak use it for their Lemming trail, its actually at about 62 miles so more than half, but it worked out well when I did the Lemming.

woodey
    Free Member

youth hostel could be Telscombe, although this is about 2hrs riding closer to Eastbourne than you mentioned

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yeah, I did the first Lemming back in ’96 and remember that hostel, I did wonder about that but not sure which direction we’re going to go yet, depends on the wind direction for the days we do it – the wind up on the downs can be a nightmare if you get it wrong! – so, was hoping somewhere halfway-ish. I’ll look into the hostel though, as I think it’s mostly a west wind.

scaredypants

I reckon the hostel is Truleigh
    Bit more than half way from the Winchester end but the 1st half is easier than 2nd (possibly unless it’s really wet) and you’ll maybe want a shorter leg on the 2nd day anyway ?

woodey
    Free Member

I live less than 1 mile from that hostel and beware the wind can be fickle, today easterly but the prevailing direction is westerly as you say. There is another hostel above Shoreham I think which is closer to half way

john_l
    Free Member

Truleigh is the hostel above Shoreham, just the other side of the Adur & about 20 mins west of the Dyke.

There’s also a place in Houghton & John Henry’s at Findon do B&B – off route a little bit but good. Also try the Castle pub in Upper Beeding.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike Friendly B&B halfway along South Downs Way?’ is closed to new replies.