Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike for turbo trainer – one size fits all?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I have my road bike set up on the turbo, and the other half wants a go…..

Its not exactly a big deal to swap bikes on a turbo, but so its one less thing to faff with (and it would be me having to swap it over every time), could I get away with a spare bike that was half way between our ideal sizes that would suit either of us.

I’m 5′ 10 and she’s 5′ 5. My road bike is a 56, but I have found a 54 ok. I don’t know what sort of size road bike 5′ 5 would mean?

As you’re only on a turbo for a circa 1 hour session, I’d hope size wouldn’t be so critical???

Fair idea or just asking for added pain of being hunched or stretched on a totally unsuitably sized bike?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

… just asking for added pain of being hunched or stretched on a totally unsuitably sized bike?

I reckon it would be this. Although you’re not on the turbo for great lengths of time I find that the ride position doesn’t really alter much so a comfortable fit (for me at least) would be quite important.

FuzzyWuzzy

given you don’t care about the handling just fit something like an ergostem so you can adjust the reach quickly (although a cheap clone one not the expensive genuine Look one).

jonathan
    Free Member

A friend of mine has just bought a spin bike for just this reason – so he and his girlfriend can both use it and make it fit (and also no trashing of bikes on the turbo). Just an idea.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Fuzzywuzz – I was thinking vaguely along the lines of an adjustable stem, but wondered if we could get away with the different reaches that a drop bar offers anyhow – i.e. with the bar tops being ~70 – 100mm closer than the hoods and drops.

Anyone here in the 5′ 5 height region that could advise what sort of road bike size they ride?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Jonathon – what kind of spin bike? Any idea how much you need to spend for something vaguely decent.

I’ve seen the Watt bike ones but they’re £1000+

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dd wonder about this too and whether you could get seatposts and stems like the ones on the wattbikes so you have up/down and forwards/backwards adjustment.

fenred
    Free Member

I’m 6′ and an ex-GF was 5’6 and used to just drop the seatpost and jump on my 56cm frame and spin…she never complained 😉

nedrapier

Get another turbo for her?

Set ’em up in front of the telly and race each other up Alpe d’Huez; invite mates around for Rollsapalooza?

stumpy01

I’m 5’6 and ride a 53cm road bike. But reckon someone 5’10 would be pretty cramped on it.

You’ll probably want two seatposts/saddles so get one with the largest layback for yourself & an inline for the other half.

I’d be looking at how much a second hand Spin bike could be had for.

mogrim

I’d go for a spin bike over a road bike, a lot easier to adjust, not to mention you don’t need to hook it up to a turbo etc.

There are loads on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/tag/spin%20bike/products

jonathan
    Free Member

mtbtomo: He got a Keiser M3 for about 500 quid off ebay. So maybe in the same expense ball park as an extra bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike for turbo trainer – one size fits all?’ is closed to new replies.