Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike for the Alps?
  • bikingtomkendal
    Free Member

I’m moving from the UK to near Geneva in a couple of months and have decided it’s time to retire my aging Orange Five before I leave.

I’ve tested the Giant Trance SX and really liked it, but aren’t sure whether I would be better with something with 160mm at both ends, like a Giant Reign, Specialized Enduro etc.

I’ve never ridden in the Alps and aren’t sure what to expect from the terrain. I can’t see myself getting into the bike parks etc, but I want to make sure I’ve a bike which will handle the terrain, I understand even the trail ridding can be rough.

If anyone’s got any thoughts it would be really appreciated.
    Cheers

NewRetroTom

Unless you’re riding downhill trails 160mm might be more than you need.
    I lived in Chamonix for 3 years and rode a 160mm travel bike with 26″ wheels. If I was to choose again I think I’d go for something with 140mm and 27.5″ wheels or maybe even a 29er.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Trance is a good all-rounder, climbs well etc., so should be spot on.

sharkattack

I can’t see myself getting into the bike parks etc, but I want to make sure I’ve a bike which will handle the terrain

I think you’ll find in most cases the terrain outside the parks is a lot rougher than the waterslide type trails you find serviced by the lifts.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Take your Five

You haven’t ridden in the Alps before so you can’t know what sort of riding you will prefer (pedally xc, enduro, bike park dh) so how can you know what bike you want/need. If you don’t mind me saying the bikes you mentioned you don’t see the Swiss locals riding, there is a message there. Make sure you have 180 rotors front/back and decent stoppers

Good luck, I’ve been spending time in the Swiss Alps summer and winter for 25 years so very jealous 🙂

I could post a picture of my lovely Covert next to my Swiss mates ancient hardtail with 80mm travel in Verbier this year, he likes climbing / riding up and has the skills to manage the bike on the way down. Its a daft example but trying to make a point

jambalaya
    Free Member

On an Orange note my two Brit mates brought their Five and Alpine to Chamonix and Verbier this year. Both have 160 front forks which would make the Five a bit wandery perhaos in the UK work out there. Get out there and have a look around, see if you can’t find a space with Bike Verbier. Have an explore of Morzine/Les Gets. Lifts in Metabief open in May etc. See what you prefer to ride noting not all bike parks are big jumps and rutted berms

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Something that goes well uphill….

Marin
    Free Member

Got a 5. Great in the Alps last year will be great for 3 weeks in Alps this year. Have fun bit jealous.

mrmoofo

Can’t see what is wrong with the 5!
    When I was there, I had a Patriot …. but rode mainly a Bfe ….

Lester
    Free Member

if you look at the white room tour guide for tour de mont blanc, i think youll find they all used nukeproof am megas in 650b, spookily enough i just happen to have 2 nukeproof mega am in 26 and 650b flavour:frames only for sale 🙂 8 of us did the tour de mont blanc last year, a mix of 26 and 650b the best rider was on 26 but there wasnt much difference 🙂

BoardinBob

You’re slipping lads.

10 posts in and no one has told the story about the time they overtook everyone in Morzine on a rigid singlespeed as that’s all you need for the alps…

Wookster

BoardinBob – Member
    You’re slipping lads.

10 posts in and no one has told the story about the time they overtook everyone in Morzine on a rigid singlespeed as that’s all you need for the alps…

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Well now you mention it Bob, I rode a BMX there and passed all the 160mm bikes…. 😉

bikingtomkendal
    Free Member

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts, sounds like anything from 140mm to 160mm would be fine.

The main reason I was going to get shot of the Five before I go was that I looked on French eBay and there wasn’t any, so I thought I’d get a better price here.

gaidong
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve lived in France for nine years and am on holiday in the Alps (Aussois) right now. I’m no authority (at all) on the DH stuff but I can tell you that the 2nd hand market in France isn’t great. They put their 1 year old stuff up for sale at €300 less than RRP and won’t budge. If you’re there all year around, as one might imagine as you’re living there…, then be aware that lifts won’t take your bike year round. This week I’m riding my Bird Aeris 500m up to the snow line a few times a day to get my thrills; and it climbs very well. Lifts open to bikes here in early July but it varies a lot by station. So, to repeat what was said above, get something that can climb if you want multi-season fun. OR, a fat bike for winter, trail bike for spring/autumn (lifts closed) and a DH sled for summer (lifts open). Sorted!

That said, it does seem worth bringing your current bike to test the waters and then you can dive in once you’re (presumably) earning €s and have decided what you want.

bikingtomkendal
    Free Member

Thanks. It’s easy to forget about the up hills. I guess most of the time I’ll also be riding the local trails and nowhere near the resorts

jambalaya
    Free Member

Will you be in France or Switzerland ?

Plenty of riding in Jura, xc/enduro style – the Jura is at its most mountainous at the Geneva end. I’ve used train uplift to St Cergue and there are a few routes down or you can ride up. Metabief as above. Roche du Naye train uplift ( trains run all year)

BTW I would second French attitude to s/h stuff, they are equally as optimistic with cars. You are right Orange bikes are rare out there but I’d ride yours (perhaps with odd upgrade) and as/when you replace it you can sell it back in the UK if needed.

oliverracing

You’re slipping lads.

Took this to the alps last year (with the kit on it) and did a couple of the runs at morzine and tignes – was actually kind of fun in a painful sort of way 😉

Let’s just put it this way – this year I’m taking a 100mm 29er full suss 😀

nickc

10 posts in and no one has told the story about the time they overtook everyone in Morzine on a rigid singlespeed as that’s all you need for the alp

I once got overtaken by a local on an 80mm hard tail wearing an old polystyrene helmet and all the protection that almost see through Lycra affords. Does that count?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nick yes indeed. Verbier enduro trails, then and now bikes. Daniel is so far ahead on climbs and descents 😳

bikingtomkendal
    Free Member

Ill be in be working in Annecy, we’ve not worked out where we’ll be living. I think the nearest resort is La Clusez which is about 40mins away

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lucky you. Search on here and/or French forums for Semnoz / Aix-les-Bains too, lots of riding. There is an stw-er (rarely posts though) who lives in Alex at base of road to La Clusaz

Uttawagavtt.com
    vttfrance.com
    Singletrack.fr

Samoens/Les Gets, Chamonix, Areches/La Saises (Trail Addiction Destination-X) etc are all an hour-ish and Semnoz and the national park is right on your doorstep. So much choice.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

I live just at the bottom of the hill from Verbier, just ordered an Orange 4, it’s not about the amount of travel it’s the quality of the travel, I would take a slack head angle over more travel any day.
    The 5 is a great bike for the alps.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike for the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.