• This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bike for my wife – Ladies what do we think about cyclo-cross?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

So the kids are all getting off stabilisers, pretty soon we are all going to be going for family rides on the bridleways, parks and so on….Mrs Mcboo needs a bike.

She's a pretty fit girl, I'm kind of hoping she eventually gets into MTB or road riding or both (like me) so as a first step is a CX bike a good option? Presume they can double up as decent enough road bikes if I switch the tyres to slicks?

Other option would be something like a rigid Inbred but that might be overkill for now.

Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, not a bad option though it may just be easier to get her an mtb to start and fit it with skinny tyres to start with if you're going to just ride non-technical offroad to start.

A cross bike on the road with road tyres works fine.

GaryLake
    Free Member

IS she a keen rider at the moment?

I only ask because a CX bike seems like a terrible idea!

Just jump straight to the MTB – it's the long term plan anyway, and it's not like she's going to get slowed down by the bike anymore than the kids!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Oh, saw the road riding thing… teach me to not read the post properly…

Still think an MTB and a set of slicks might be better…

london_lady
    Free Member

I have a pinnacle xpede cross bike which does ride quite nice as a road bike – it gets used for winter road riding as well as off-road. If Mrs Mcboo is quite short then the choise of cross bikes is quite limited – as I found out.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Hmmm, not convinced tbh. How much does she ride now? If not v much I think she would be very put off by skinnyish tyres off-road. I would have thought you'd be better with an mtb and some slicks for road riding to start with.

mcboo
    Free Member

She loves cycling on hols but hasnt owned a bike since she was a kid, badgering me to get her one since the house bike count hit 7.

CX the one type of bike I dont own, GaryLake you dont recommend?

Weight is an issue but more than that I really want her to love the thing like I love my bikes (you either know what I mean by that or you dont). I got a carbon road bike on C2W which she was drooling over but thats clearly not the right thing for young mum with 3 kids in the park.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Get a 2nd hand hack bike for kiddy rides and the nice carbon for herself?

mcboo
    Free Member

I'm with you mrsflash…..skinny tyres and 700mm wheels, MTB is going to easier to live with and more fun isnt it.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I really want her to love the thing like I love my bikes

I know exactly what you mean 🙂 She needs to choose what she wants then, it's much less likely she will love something she has not chosen herself.

Midnighthour's suggestion is not a bad one, if you're happy to spend the money.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I just think a CX bike is maybe a little to much for a first bike. It's not going to be that confidence inspiring off road is it?

finbar
    Free Member

Drop bars aren't really conducive to riding and keeping an eye on the kids at the same time, for someone who isn't a confident rider at least. An mtb with a more upright riding position would be far more suitable, surely?

mcboo
    Free Member

Yep, agreed……confidence is what we want. Maybe I will go with an Inbred frame, build it as a rigid with light tyres.

….actually I'd like one of those for myself…..nooooooooooooooooo!

menothim
    Free Member

Get one of the Ridgeback flat barred road bikes, and a set of cross tyres for off road work. Everyone's a winner that way, and some of those Ridgebacks are very purdy 🙂

MrAgreeable

A CX bike with a full set of mounts could be a good option. They aren't that hard to ride off road, unless it's really rocky, and she'll find it a lot easier to keep up with you on the road than with some clunky hybrid with flat bars. You will be doing very well to get a 22lb geared mtb for £600-700 – with a CX bike that's a real possibility. And they tend to come with those extra brake levers you can use on the tops.

If you're planning on doing longer rides or cycle touring then I'd look into it. If it's just for local pottering then almost anything will do.

Olly
    Free Member

MTB would be much easier to live with imo
    less agressive angles, more stable, fat tyres are a bonus for beginners too, it gives you that bit of extra stability and surefootedness.

Rigid MTB with ultragatorskin road tyres for road use?
    or soemthing a bit porkier for "commuting" style riding, like travelcontacts
    good slick tread in the middle, but with side knobbles and 1.9" sizing, to make them "good enough" off road.
    ie: you wouldnt CHOOSE to cane it down singletrack on them, but you COULD if you ended up there, it might just be a bit entertaining in the wet.
    at least you wouldnt knacker your rims!

wouldnt go for an inbred myself, my vote would be for something as light as possible, aluminium, V brakes and MTB drive chain
    something that can be added to as and when, rigid, but suspension adjusted, with disk mounts, but no disks….

mcboo
    Free Member

Yep, more good advice thanks, maybe steel not the right frame. Lots to think about.

epicyclo

Genesis make a nice cross bike that handles nicely.

I would have one if it was a SS

GaryLake
    Free Member

There just plain isn't any compromise for road bike and learning to MTB. I'd suggest picking one, and going for it.

I actually went for a Spesh Myka FSR Expert for my wife. Risky price wise but she's really taken to it and the best quote from the first day out was, "I didn't know bikes could be comfy" lol – that was as much riding position as the rear suss.

Alright it's rubbish on road but we've got plenty of offroad riding round here from ST to bridleways and as I'm on an MTB as well, it doesn't matter.

I just really can't see a novice getting much fun out of a CX bike beyond gravel tracks…

mcboo
    Free Member

Yep danger is getting a jack of all trades that doesnt do anything well. Maybe I get her one of these

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbht/ht_team.html

More than I should spend but a lot of bike and a small wouldnt be much more than 24lbs.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i'm with mrsf on this on also, go for one or the other rather than cross.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Depending on your budget, I'd say look at the Giant Arete range. A mate has just bought the 3 (which is a lovely colour in the flesh, it looks somewhat drab there) and it's got all the basics right for the price and the frame is good enough to build on- it's about £300 on its own, and very light, so if she likes it you can upgrade as and when. Depending on where you are we've got one in Fife she's welcome to have a sit and a play on briefly in a size small.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/women/2458/32819/

Other option would be a Cube- 2 of my girl mates have them and love them. They're cracking value and very light- not sure what there is about £500 but nearer a grand is good. But a grand is a lot to spunk on a bike that may not get used.

As for the CX idea, don't think that'd work. Too sketchy offroad I reckon for a beginner- it's hard to see it from a beginner's viewpoint, but when my GF started anything scared her enough on her Spesh Myka (it's a Comp and not anything special to be honest), let alone something with drop bars, skinny tyres and hard gearing.

Olly
    Free Member

300quid for the arete is a bargin!
    cracking spec for that price, let alone in female specific (which are normaly stupidly expensive considering they are generaly just a bit shorter, and in a pastel paint job)

i would still suggest some different tyres, im coming around to thinking tyres make a bike, they are the most important component to upgrade to suit ones needs

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bike for my wife – Ladies what do we think about cyclo-cross?’ is closed to new replies.