• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Creg.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike feeling unstable on back wheel
  • Creg

Ive been riding to and from work every day this week. The bike has been making its usual creaks and squeaks as Ive been riding it, but as the week has gone on Ive got one problem that has been getting worse.

The bike has started to feel very unstable on the back wheel. When riding round corners (while pedalling) the bike has become quite loose and Ive nearly binned it a few times, with the back end sliding right out and slipping. When riding in a straight line it feels like the back end is pushing slightly out to one side. At first it was only when I made harsh turns but now its doing it with slight movements

I know the wheels could do with a little truing so would this solve the problem or is it something else?

The rear tire has a good amount of air in it and feels quite firm (although it does squash out a bit when I get my fat arse in the saddle)

lowey

What bike is it ?

FS or HT ?

paule
    Free Member

Check that the QR is done up properly, and not damaged.

Check that the rear axle isn’t broken or cracked.

Check that there is some tension in the spokes.

Check that the back of the frame isn’t cracked.

Had that feeling in the back of my bike a few times, and it’s been one of the above. Otherwise, your tyre might just be knackered.

Creg

Its a FS.

Ive checked the QR as that was my first thought but its done up nice and tight.

Ill check the spokes as Ive had an issue with the rear mech throwing the chain off the cassette so it might have damaged some spokes.

stumpyjon

I’d strip the hub down, could be cones working loose as well.

dobo
    Free Member

low psi tyre squirm on the rear is horrible, had it today with a slow puncture, it could be that, 30 psi will feel fairly hard for a lightweight but a large bloke will make it squirm all over the place

lowey

Suspension bearing or shock bush.

When my bushings were on the way out, the back end felt all “wobbly” when cornering hard.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

or you might just need to tighten up the lock ring on the cassette?

Creg

bastard bastard bastard bastard

frame is cracked on the swinging arm

shit

scaredypants

unlucky, but at least you’ve not been dumped under a lorry by it

retro83
    Free Member

pics?

Creg

Ill get some tomorrow.

The crack is on the chainstay where there is what appears to be a crossbar just behind the seat tube. The crack runs right through from the top to this cross bar and is the width of the whole chainstay…crap description I know.

druidh
    Free Member

What make of frame?

Creg

Trek Fuel. 2005 I think

cynic-al
    Free Member

Commencal.

Creg

Photos for those that are interested

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike feeling unstable on back wheel’ is closed to new replies.