Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike depreciation
  • justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a 2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er for £2500 in August and although it’s a great bike my head has been turned by something else. I was wondering what to realistically expect if I put it up for sale. It’s in excellent condition and has had a Reverb Stealth upgrage (sell separately?) and an XT double crankset.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

50% when you buy it as it’s not new or current and the warranty is no longer applicable if you sell it. (also look at the discounts your bike as the year goes on)
    10% per year after that

Rough guess

asterix
    Free Member

and then if you keep the bike long enough, the depreciation effectively stops and you can “ride for free”. Eventually people think you are being retro on purpose:-)

Onzadog
    Free Member

50% in the first year and 10% a year after that is a pretty common guide. leave the reverb on it and if it’s in good condition, you might manage 2/3 of what you paid.

ndthornton
    Free Member

half
    unless its sold as parts- then you may get near to what you paid

justatheory
    Free Member

50% ouch! My head has just turned back the other way. I’d expect a loss but can’t afford 50% on a 1 month old bike. Must stop looking at other bikes!

amedias
    Free Member

Wow, changing your mind so quickly on a 2.5k purchase, part of me wants to ask if you really thought it through when you bought it but I won’t go there…

If it really is only a month old and not used much you could try going back to the shop, being honest and saying ‘look, I think I might have made a boo boo when I bought this, any chance of a PX/buy back deal on a different bike?”

They may tell you to do one, but they may be receptive, it would have to be worth their while so you would still lose a bit but likely less than if you tried to sell privately with no warranty etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d be confident you’ll get more than £1250 for it.

50% in first year is only a rough guide and a bit pessimistic in many cases.

You’re not going 650b though are you?

justatheory
    Free Member

You’re not going 650b though are you?

No I was looking at the new Stumpy 29er and suddenly started thinking hmmm what if. I actually really like the way the Trek feels, I tried loads of bikes and it was the one that just felt right. It suits most of riding I do, although felt a bit out of depth on some of the trails in the Alps. Not keen on the looks either but that doesn’t matter to me really.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike depreciation’ is closed to new replies.