Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike Consolidation
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I currently have a hardtail that I use for xc rides and a Specialized SX Trail I use for DH duties. I use the latter more than the former.

Generally, I ride Rogate, South Wales, Surrey Hills, plus annual trips to the Whistler Bike Park.

If I was to sell them both and replace them with one bike, what would you recommend?

Sui
    Free Member

ah, this is my dilema, though the XC replacement is due to breakage… I was thinking Helius AM / ION16 if i had the money, or something a little more less boutique like a covert, so many options these days, and also the big question do you go with the flow and change whell sizes….?????

grum
    Free Member

Stumpjumper Evo?

kayak23

I would recommend not doing that. Seems like you already have a pretty ideal set up.
    Sometimes you can’t beat the feel of a hardtail and sometimes the control and speed you can get on full suss is brilliant.
    You can’t get that in one bike. Keep them both, plus if one breaks you’ve always got a spare.

mikey74
    Free Member

I don’t have the room for two bikes; well, three, actually, including my road bike which I’m not selling.

honourablegeorge

Lot of these n-1 threads about. Strange carry on.

The OP needs a 140/150mm bike, clearly.

mikey74
    Free Member

I fancy a Trek Slash 7: Any experiences?

iainc

Another n-1 here, as I rarely use my 5, so chopping in that and short travel HT for more capable HT. Makes sense financially for me as also have CX and road bikes.

Will be weird to only have 1 MTB, after years of 2, but keen to see how it goes. A Giant Trance may feature at some future time if my back gets sore, as I reckon its a lot of bang for the bucks

mikey74
    Free Member

I thought about just getting a LT hardtail but I just like full-sussers, and they are more fun for DH.

banks
    Free Member

Transition Covert!

gonzy
    Free Member

stumpy evo is on my wish list too…but i’m not planning on consolidating the bike collection…
    a friend has a trek remedy and swears by them…

soobalias
    Free Member

i dont believe there is acceptable middle ground between an XC hardtail (Dialled PAC) and a DHable FS (NP Mega)

more often than not you end up with one bike that does neither very well….. a mid travel FS thats still wallowy/heavy and requires excessive maintenance yet is a bit lightweight/long and steep angled to really inspire confidence for the uplift days.

i can ride my mega everywhere, but if im riding xc (even aggressive xc as opposed to mince-core-lite :)) i still know im paying a huge weight penalty on any climbs.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m fine with a bit of extra weight on the climbs. I was considering the Mega as well.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

What about a Cotic BFe? Wind-downable fork for the XC stuff, wind it up again fro the DH. Dropper post plus a couple of sets of tyres.

mikey74
    Free Member

See my previous post ^^^^^^^ referring to hardtails

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike Consolidation’ is closed to new replies.