Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike cleaning in flats
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

Just moved to a flat with a tiny bath/shower. Any clever ideas for cleaning bikes? Wheels off doesn’t look possible but it doesn’t fit with them on. Tiny point a should have considered before moving…..

palookah
    Free Member

Long hose to ground?

titusrider
    Free Member

mine get cleaned outside using one of those hozelock garden washers then dryed with a towel and brought in

Lazymike
    Free Member

I put some tyres through the washing machine last night. It worked okay. I rent my flat though so its not my machine. I’d maybe think twice about it if i owned it.
    If only I had a dishwasher I’m sure i’d have pristine components (and probably food poisoning!)

pullfaces
    Free Member

Does the bike fit in the shower up ended, or with front wheel off?
    I shower first then clean mine in the shower with rear wheel on bottom of basin and front wheel pointed upwards. Muc-off or Hope Sh1t sh1fter sprayed on, wait a couple off minutes or so then showered off and scrubbed with a washing up brush at same time.
    Wipe down bike with old t-shirt.
    Lube chain.
    Leave bike to dry overnight, remove, sweep shower basin with brush & dustpan and clean with a spray of aforementioned bike cleaner.

hugor
    Free Member

I live in a flat and lack of easy access to an outdoor hose meant that I rarely cleaned my bike.
    Bringing the muddy bike through the lifts and foyers eventually upset the neighbours so I started jetwashing it at service stations.
    Contrary to popular opinion the bike hasn’t disintegrated and is performing better than ever.
    I’m no bike mechanic but I recommend it.

batfink
    Free Member

I live in a 1 bed flat, top floor, and the bike lives in the lounge – so it has to be clean. Best investment I made was a mobi washer: the bike gets hosed-down after every ride.
    It works really well because the mud never has time to get dried-on, the back of your car doesn’t get muddy, and by the time you get home it’s dry enough to take straight upstairs.
    All my friends took the p*ss when I bought it, but now they all want to use it at the end of a long ride 😕

crazy-legs

When I was at uni, I cleaned my bike in our kitchen as it was the only place in the flat with a lino floor. Just waited til the mud dried then brushed it off.

Initially my housemates complained but then they realised that the only time the floor ever got swept was by me cleaning up after my bike. The fact that I’d also sweep up their spilt food and crumbs was a bonus.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A few buckets of water, a sponge, muc-off and an old towel here to wash and dry the bike outside before being brought back in.

Occasionally I’ll take both wheels off and sit it upside down in the bath and give it a good going over with the shower. Easier with the road bike than the mountain bike though. The bars are too wide really on it. Takes a bit of clever balancing.

Bunnyhop

Have you a car park or any outdoor space at all?
    I used the kind lady’s (in the flat below me) garden, bucket and towel, when living in a samll flat.

Annoyingly just before I moved out, the stupid old bag from another flat said good riddance, as I’d wrecked the paving path outside all the flats by riding my bike over them. Strange really as I’d lived there 13 years and she only a couple of months before I left. Some people just hate cyclists, no matter what they do.

Whoops sorry for the short rant.

martymac

i do it in the kitchen, if 1 of my tyres has suffered an ‘enturdment’ i sit the bike upside down and give the offending wheel a good spin to remove it, i then just wipe the turd off the wall/ceiling/toaster.
    for added excitement i lay bets with the wife as to where i will be sleeping for the next week too.

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Wow! I felt so guilty about cleaning my bike in the bath with the shower… until now. There’s loads of folk that do it! For me the option of using warm water to clean you bike in your heated flat in the winter was just too good to pass up.

Not that this will help the OP if he has a small shower but I used to line the bath with an old sheet then clean the wheels, then the frame. When done I would just gather up the sheet with all the mud and put it in a bucket with water to rinse. Then just discard the muddy water down the toilet and wash the sheet. Boom.

I’m moving soon and I suspect a mobi washer is in my future. Very good solution as you do get to clean your bike before much muck dries.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Mine go in the shower cubicle with the wheels off, then I just do the wheels seperately.

twohats
    Free Member

When I was at uni, I cleaned my bike in our kitchen as it was the only place in the flat with a lino floor. Just waited til the mud dried then brushed it off.

Initially my housemates complained but then they realised that the only time the floor ever got swept was by me cleaning up after my bike. The fact that I’d also sweep up their spilt food and crumbs was a bonus.

This.
    been living in various flats the last few years and this is my preferred method.
    In fact, I used to go this in the last house I lived in too…

mrdestructo

It’s carrying it up and down the building that gets me! Cream carpets in the flats and communal staircases, cream walls that attract tyre marks, walls and staircases narrowing the further up I go. I bring the bike up, fill a bucket and take that out back, go back up and take my bike down, wash it, then bring it back up again. My carpets will never get clean!

I’m lucky my neighbours all understand any bike greater than a BSO can’t get locked up outside in the open plan bike area or it gets pinched.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike cleaning in flats’ is closed to new replies.