Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike build dilemna – what do you reckon?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been building up my new bike, an ’07 Spesh Big Hit – and I’ve hit a bit of a problem in that the ISCG chain device mounting bolts foul the granny mounts on the new SLX crankset I’ve bought for it.

Can’t decide between the following options…

1. Grind granny mounts off crankset.
    Pros – I don’t plan on riding up on this bike, so will probably never use them.
    Cons – If I don’t take to DH, I might want to use the crankset on another bike with a granny ring.

2. Remove chain device and ride without for now.
    Pros – Easy.
    Cons – Chain will probably fall off a bit.

3. Buy and fit an alternative chain device.
    Pros – Chain will stay onm, crank should still go round.
    Cons – Might still have same problem, even with lower profile and countersunk ISCG bolts. Expensive to try.

4. Grind granny tabs off another crankset.
    Pros – I have a new Evolve XC crank laying round that wouldn’t sell for a great deal.
    Cons – Not so stiff, doesn’t have steel pedal threads.

So, which option would you pick? Or are there any other solutions I’m not thinking of. Suppose I could buy a DH crankset with no granny tabs, but cranksets are quite expensive and I don’t think I need a really heavy duty one.

May not be possible, but the first option I’d at least look into would be a slightly thicker driveside BB spacer.

The more knowldgeable STW’ers may confirm or reject this solution.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers, hadn’t thought of that. Will try to investigate.

Anybody else got an opinion on this?

timbercombe
    Free Member

I’ve got exactly the same problem at the moment. I sold the boxguide I had with bb mount adaptor as my frame doesn’t have iscg and am going to do a ziptie chainguide as seen on pinkbike; http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=58086

chilli
    Free Member

Had very similar prob on my bike,i just added a bb spacer to drive side,sorted,chainline seems better too!

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses.

I must have a spare spacer and it’s raining – so I might give this a go instead of riding this morning.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

My enduro sl has the same issue with a DRS. I removed the non drive side BB spacer and put it on the drive side and the problem was fixed. God luck, those big hits are nice.

jam-bo

just make sure you keep the right number of spacers, else you’ll screw the cranks up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike build dilemna – what do you reckon?’ is closed to new replies.