Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike bags: the lightest solution
  • danonthehill
    Free Member

I am looking for a bike bag to carry my hardtail on the plane to Scotland. Problem is it has to be reasonably light and compact when not in use, because I have to carry it, either in my backpack or frame bag for the entire trip before returning. The ones I have seen online seem to come in at about 2.5kg, but I have no idea if these would fold/roll up when not in use. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Northwind

Where are you flying into? I can’t help with a stowable bag (mine isn’t heavy but it’s not at all compact) but maybe someone on here could stash it for you while you’re up here?

danonthehill
    Free Member

Thanks. Could be Aberdeen or Glasgow? Usually go to Inverness but I use airmiles and BA don’t fly there. This time it will b right around Christmas so wouldn’t want to put anyone out. Probably best to buy something anyway as I go a couple of times a year.

The body bag looks ok, but can’t seem to find a UK supplier and would probably turn out quite pricey.

I have just being looking on another forum and some people say they use a CTC Plastic Bike Bag. Wiggle has them. Anyone know if BA will accept one of these if I dismantle the bike, use my sleeping mat for padding and tape the bag up to make it more compact? Website says it must be packed a “recognised bicycle bag.” Not sure this qualifies.

hairymtnbiker
    Free Member

I have one of these…

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bike-carry-bag-id_8023151.html

Cheap and if you pad round the bike does the job…

Wouldn’t recommend carrying it for any great distance though.

AngusWells

I can vouch for the Ground Effect Body Bag having used it a number of times on long and short haul flights. I usually line it with cardboard and apart from a few scratches I haven’t had any damage. I think £57 is a good price especially if you use it a few times (I accept that it may be more if charged by customs). However, Duffbag do something very similar for only a few quid more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike bags: the lightest solution’ is closed to new replies.